LESS IS MORE - Themers pls get good Taste, thx

By on August 23, 2010 7:21:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

del78

Join Date 09/2005

Hi

There are so much Themes, thats great.

Not good is, that you cant use most of them if you are someone living in 2010.

No one ever heard of minimalistic design here? Or of good Taste?

Most of the Themes are really well done, maybe if i´d get a Themer, i would also think i have to show my skills in doint highlights and 3d objects and stuff..but you are doing Themes for everyday use. and my head gets sick when i see all the effects everyday in my taskbar..

minimalism rules!

naah..i dont think so, i would try to do a theme like "oni" from TomRichter or something like that

WE WINDOWSBLINDS CUSTOMERS NEED MORE GOOD TASTE THEMES THX!

who needs a cowboy/western theme?! i mean really, if im not that programmer-guy who always has bad taste..I DONT NEED SUCH CRAP

thy for everyone, reading and thinking about this

46 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 23, 2010 8:00:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

download what YOU want and don't worry about what others want to use. every windowblinds skin on this site has its fans and users. just because you don't like a certain skin doesn't mean that hundreds, if not thousands, of other people don't. my standards aren't the same as yours, i guarantee.

August 23, 2010 8:16:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

download what YOU want and don't worry about what others want to use. every windowblinds skin on this site has its fans and users. just because you don't like a certain skin doesn't mean that hundreds, if not thousands, of other people don't. my standards aren't the same as yours, i guarantee.

very well said, I could not have said it better

August 23, 2010 8:40:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thankyou for your input.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 23, 2010 8:54:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yep, I agree.

August 23, 2010 11:38:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

who needs a cowboy/western theme?!
Aparently around 5059 of them right now.

Don't download what you don't like. It's that simple.  

You could always learn how to make a skin and upload it here. Then you'd see more of what you like. 

August 23, 2010 12:31:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I read the thread, didn't think about it much.

Your idea of a good Theme may very well work for you, but I think that most folks would not like to see the 'legs' being taken out from under the communities skinners and thier very creative ideas and skinning skills and talents. 

Mind you, that's just my opinion. 

August 23, 2010 12:41:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good taste, eh??  Now that could mean a whole bunch of different stuff to a whole swag of different people.... AKA, it's all in the eye of the beholder.  Thank goodness we don't all have the same tastes... the world of art and culture would be a very dull and mundane place, wouldn't it.

August 23, 2010 2:10:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The best policy, as a skinner, is to skin for yourself.  If you haven't created a skin, then you're going to have to depend on the tastes of those of us who create things.

Quoting Xiandi,

You could always learn how to make a skin and upload it here. Then you'd see more of what you like. 

Right on, Xiandi!

August 23, 2010 3:06:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No one ever heard of minimalistic design here? Or of good Taste?

who needs a cowboy/western theme?! i mean really, if im not that programmer-guy who always has bad taste..I DONT NEED SUCH CRAP

Statements like these will not get you on anyone's good side here. Do we come to your place and bad mouth your decor?

As was said above, download what you like, leave what you don't. Insulting us isn't gonna get you anywhere.

August 23, 2010 3:17:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

.I DONT NEED SUCH CRAP

I feel the same about your post...

August 23, 2010 3:21:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Three easy replacements for those ghastly "tasteless" themes.

1:XP Luna

2:Vista Home Basic

3: Windows 7 Starter

Any one of those should be minimalist enough for you.

As for me, I like variety. Not all WB's are for everyday use btw. Some are works of art to be enjoyed for a short while, then replaced with something practical. I like art but who wants to live in a museum?

August 23, 2010 3:22:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Right on Red! I make what I make because I like doing it, and if only just one person wants it or can use it that makes it all the more worthwhile! I use both Minimalistic and yes Cowboy themes! I like a change once in awhile that's the spice of life! No one is forcing anything on you, take what works for you, if you have a Minimal theme suggestion then why not be more constructive & offer some ideas in the forum, or make a request without insulting others. You'd do better in life.  If you want I could send you a Black 1920x1200 wallpaper, it's so minimalistic that you don't have to resize it or worry about aspect ratio. One size fits all.

Oh, Quite Logical Fuzzy!

August 23, 2010 9:23:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's not the way to make friends around here.

Opinions are like butt holes, every one has one...some stink.

I think you should have kept your opinion to yourself.

August 23, 2010 9:50:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree that his statements should have been worded more tactfully and politely; but I believe he has a point.

Instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, maybe we "themers" ought to take note.

And besides, I suspicion that a lot of the rude tone is due to the apparent fact that he is foreign.

Also, judging from his profile, he's been around since '05: He's had to have seen a lot here in all of that time.

August 23, 2010 9:50:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you want something done right, do it yourself (aka stop bitching at/insulting the people who actually take the time to make these themes and learn to do it yourself).

August 23, 2010 10:04:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Also, judging from his profile, he's been around since '05: He's had to have seen a lot here in all of that time.

Or he has been here twice.....the other time was '05.

You cannot infer anything from that, and I STRONGLY doubt the apparent tone was inserted/due to translation 'software'.  The suggestion that 'his taste' is good and others' is not isn't a 'fault' attributable to language barriers.

"WINDOWSBLINDS CUSTOMERS" [sic] can demand all they wish.....provided that as 'customers' they are willing to PAY for the privilege of demanding.

Skinners [mostly] skin for themselves.  If others happen to like the results....well and good.  If they do not they are entirely free to create their own.....to whatever 'less is more' ideology they wish.

I personally see much of 'minimalism' as laziness and/or conservatism.   The only people who 'get away with' minimalism are those who are sufficiently anal over the DETAIL that the results only APPEAR 'minimalist'.   [Typically what you see in a Master skin]...

August 23, 2010 10:11:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well said Jafo!  

August 23, 2010 10:41:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Mirsguy,
...Instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, maybe we "themers" ought to take note.

Yeah, and maybe Picasso should have taken note when somebody said "Hey Pablo, what's with all these funky shaped heads and asymmetrical body parts?  Haven't you heard of realism?  Realism rules!"  I don't think so.  Picasso employed cubism.  If somebody didn't understand it, or didn't like it, they didn't have to buy it and hang it on their walls.

I already have a day job, doing things dictated by others.  My art is something I do for me, and for what it's worth, I "wear" my skins all day, while doing that day job, and it doesn't give me a headache.  They function for me, and that's all that matters.  If somebody else likes them, than that's icing on the cake, but I'm not going to let my fan base dictate what I create.  I'm already codependent enough the way it is, thank you very much.

August 23, 2010 10:41:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There's always the default OS if your not happy. And you can always call Microsoft and tell them what you want and maybe you'll get to be on one of those commercials telling people it was your idea! Because seriously...if you can't find one (1) single thing here that pleases you then you will never be pleased. And as it's been said here...you can always make your own stuff. Which is pretty much everyone that didn't like what someone else was doing and decided to do it themselves. What a concept!

August 23, 2010 10:59:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

you are doing Themes for everyday use. and my head gets sick when i see all the effects everyday in my taskbar..

Then don't use those themes. You are very rude.

August 23, 2010 11:30:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You cannot infer anything from that

But I did.

translation 'software'.

I think he tried to translate himself.

I'm not going to let my fan base dictate what I create.

Never said anyone should dictate anyone. I said maybe we should take note.

Just because I skin for myself (and I do) doesn't mean that criticism (constructive or otherwise) can't help me in what I do. I have received plenty of criticism that I didn't like that actually helped me make a better skin.

I am not necessarily defending the rudeness as much as I am saying there might be something to learn here.

August 23, 2010 11:33:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

and my head gets sick when i see all the effects everyday in my taskbar

Not sure what you are referring to as effects, off hand I can think of only a couple skins that have animated taskbars that constantly animate, a couple more that have animated buttons but they only animate on mouse over, other than that all skin are like MS Luna and only change state for buttons when moused over. So for skins here 99% have static taskbars, so if it is the design of them that is making your head sick then as already stated, it is time to skin what you want.

WE WINDOWSBLINDS CUSTOMERS NEED MORE GOOD TASTE THEMES THX!

Almost all of the free skins here are created and upload by normal average everyday people who skin as a hobby and freely share what the create.

Purchasing WindowBlinds gives you unlimited access to download these skins from WC, there is nothing however that states by purchasing WindowBlinds you will receive, find and download themes that fit your exact needs and taste.

August 23, 2010 11:39:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Almost all of the free skins here are created and upload by normal average everyday people who skin as a hobby and freely share what the create.

Purchasing WindowBlinds gives you unlimited access to download these skins from WC, there is nothing however that states by purchasing WindowBlinds you will receive, find and download themes that fit your exact needs and taste.

Well said, Cavan. This is the reason I started skinning. Even if someone thinks my skins are crappy, at least they were made to make my computer look the way I wanted it.

August 23, 2010 11:46:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Mirsguy,

I am not necessarily defending the rudeness as much as I am saying there might be something to learn here.

If you can learn something from it, you're a more disciplined skinner (and person) than I am. (It's a fact--you are.  I allow myself to be a diva.  It's a gift I give to myself, and I won't make apologies for that). 

August 24, 2010 12:24:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll just stick my head in the door to say thank you to all the skinners who make their work available here. Even the skins I don't particularly like are a damn sight better than I could do, are frequently offered for free, and I imagine, are a labour of love and a learning process for the maker.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000781   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.