Is it OK to give away

By on July 29, 2010 8:18:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

EternalSpline

Join Date 07/2010
+1

Is it OK to give away someone's work? Just want to take a general poll of what you the users of Wincustomize think about that...

Locked Post 77 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 29, 2010 8:26:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've learned through trials and errors that it's not okay unless you have written permissions to use any part of whole of someone's work.

July 29, 2010 8:28:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Your previous thread is being looked at so there really isn't a need for this.  Be patient. 

July 29, 2010 8:46:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 29, 2010 8:56:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Please leave this via Personal Message.

I have responded.

Your issue will be resolved once the information is provided....

July 29, 2010 9:16:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A "forum member".  As of today.

July 29, 2010 9:20:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

July 29, 2010 9:24:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As of today correct, I would never have been a member here at all if some guy had not gone on Pond5 and said some thing on the forum about how you could get are work for free on this fine site. Minor investigation on my part later and Taaa Daaa! I'm a forum member!

Really I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to get my point across, and as a forum member that's OK for me to do right?

I'm not flaming anyone, just using the forum, being an active forum member that's what it's all about right?

July 29, 2010 9:43:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

EternalSpline -

In reply # 4, Jafo requested that you handle this through the Personal Message PM and he has been in contact with you.

Please leave this via Personal Message.

I have responded.

Your issue will be resolved once the information is provided....

You have ignored this request and continue to make accusations that Jafo is looking into.  I would suggest that you take Jafo's suggestion to handle this through the PM system.

Failure to do so could result in your ability to post in the forums being removed.

July 29, 2010 9:50:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"I'm a forum member right?"

"... being an active forum member that's what it's all about right?"

".... that's what it's all about right?"

Three rights do indeed make a wrong!

July 29, 2010 10:00:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm handling it through PM with him, I'm not ignoring any thing. My poll is separate as I saw it. I didn't even bring that stuff up, I was just posting this poll, it's everyone else that is drawing this conclusion...

I'm really sorry, I'm just very used to having freedom of speech, I had no idea that this was a shut up or we will shut you up kind of a place.  I'm not sure why it's not OK for me to say any thing on the forum? I joined, I'm not saying mean things...  I even figured out the Karma button, your not proud?

As I see it I have contributed a ton to this community with how many DL's my stolen work has, and you cant even let me post a poll on the forum without threats of silencing me? I really don't understand how that's fair, can you explain that to me, what makes that right?

Three rights do make a wrong, where is that Karma button. Your pretty funny... 

July 29, 2010 10:09:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Also Hankers I sent you a message thanking you for your help earlier, (that you didn't respond to at all)I think I have been really nice about all this... Even when I was told that, they not sure the rights I have to my own work, I didn't lose my cool I was nice about it. I have been nice to Jafo in PM too. Really I don't have to be nice about it, I decided to be. So why are you acting in such a hostile way and saying you will remove my ability to post? That's just not justified if you ask me.

July 29, 2010 10:28:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I truly don't get why people think it's OK to "give away" other people's hard work. Because you're giving it away and not making money on it that makes it OK?

I'll answer my own question, no it's not OK, it's stealing plain and simple. For every free download here, it takes money out of real artists pocket.

Thanks for posting the links, I'm sure more artists will visit this site to see if their work is being pirated too.

July 29, 2010 10:39:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey NP KK5hy, and thanks for your support! I posted links on P5 and invited the artists there to come here and check it out. I figured why stop there though, so I posted on SS and Revo too. Hopefully we can stop this free give away of our work from taking place for much longer. I wonder if any of them will take it upon themselves to strap on there lawsuit boots and go to town on this place. It would give them so much cred with all the artists who upload on there site. I mean I'm not suggesting that, but talk about good publicity...

Luxor was saying that he tried to DL a clip from here and he couldn't open it up because it was full of nasty stuff and it set off his virus protection. I wouldn't know personally I have not DL a clip from here.

July 29, 2010 10:53:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll wade in one more time. 

I have been a paying member here for many years. I am artistic as a doorknob so contribute nothing by way of art. I tried a bit, but it was very humbling. But I have seen several instances where alleged or real copyright infringment was discussed. 

I believe that the contributing artists and other paid members take the issue of copyright very seriously. I think that your allegation(s) are being taken seriously. But there is not going to be an instant public lynching. No matter what you do, that is not going to happen. To carry on in the Forums the way you are doing is not going to get you what you want. Being correct will get you what you want, unless your goals are too obscure to recognize. 

Please, resist the urge to shoot back. Take a break, let this play out, and if you are correct in your assertions, I believe that the outcome will be the one you seek. What you are doing now is counter-productive to your goal.

PS - I could use the karma if you are still in a giving spirit.  

July 29, 2010 11:30:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey thanks for the advice I appreciate it and it seems like it came from a good place. I totally understand what your saying, but the funny thing about this is, I just wanted to poll users... I didn't want to make this a big thing. See the sites I work with take this stuff extremely seriously, and you just never know what type of site this is when you have only been a member for a few hrs. Basically my poll was not to flame anyone I have no need to flame the accused because I have all the prof, I have already supplied it, if they need more I have plenty of it... I have no doubt in my mind that this will get taken care of with haste. I had a very similar situation on youtube and got it resolved there in less then a day... 

I really simply just wanted some feedback. I totally don't get all this shoot back and flame this, or that.. I'm just chatting, there has not been flames in my opinion..Seriously think of the things I could say...

Really though can this just be about the poll? I don't want to talk about the bigger issue, people keep bringing it up and I know it's interesting, but come on stick to the poll people! That's what it's about!

So far 2 say NO IT'S BAD!!!

Zero say yes lets take stuff!!!

July 29, 2010 11:38:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WC takes copyright infringement seriously, you have Jafo the main WC Admin looking into it, there is no need for a poll as most members know WC's copyright policy and abide by it.

July 29, 2010 11:47:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Also this is not really a public forum, it is owned/run by a private company and being a member does not give any of us the right to post whatever we want. I am not implying anything about this thread just letting you know how it is here.

July 29, 2010 11:49:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Really though can this just be about the poll?

There's no need to take a poll.  Here's a link to the terms of service: http://www.wincustomize.com/terms-of-service

It states very clearly in the terms of service that: "All Content uploaded onto this site must be original material created by you. By uploading any Content to this site, contributors are automatically assumed to be the creator and owner of the Content. You may not upload Content created by another person or taken from another source such as another website, etc, without express written permission from copyright owner. Copyright violation could result in account cancellation and in possible criminal prosecution."

Since you are new here, I'll fill you in on the way this site works.  What any of us, individually, believe is immaterial when it comes to the terms of service.  The terms of service WILL be enforced, and we will obey the terms of service or we will be exiled, it's that simple. 

July 29, 2010 11:49:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I'm new and I saw allot of copyrighted work being passed out for free, so I thought there was a need for a poll.. We are all entitled to our opinions, and being my first few hrs on here I figured it was the best way to find out if it was a little P2P scam, theft site was to just poll the users. That's harmless enough right? Seriously this is the internet, you I'm sure have been on it for more then just today... You can understand how much of that goes on in the world right? Can we stop treating the poll like it's criminal? I'm not the one stealing and passing around copyrighted work. Also if it's taken seriously, let me check right after I post this to see if my work is still available on this site. If it is, then I have some doubts about how seriously it's being taken. Thanks for your 2 cents though, great stuff keep it coming people.

July 29, 2010 11:50:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah it's still online, so there you go... On with the poll?

July 30, 2010 12:01:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK well the terms of service are in severe violation, so I'm really wondering when that's going to get fixed. Thanks for filling me in, I can assure you I have already provided the prof of ownership... So just waiting for action, I would provide it to you guys too but that would be outing the guy, and I guess that's considered flaming here? Personally I don't have a problem outing him because he is stealing from allot of people.

There is no need for the poll did she really say that! Your a nut lady, and that's why we love you, you crazy silly nut! She kind of looks a little like Sara Palin... That's a good thing right? Regardless the poll is educational, what's wrong with that? Not sure how many of you unknowingly downloaded stolen work, pretty crazy right? You had no clue your were part of the problem, it's not your fault. The guy who did it, and for the life of me I can't see why he did it since he makes no money on this, tricked people into thinking he was the original creator of the work. Strange stuff, really weird... I'm very puzzled as to why he would do this, maybe that should be what the poll turns into know, guesses on why he would do this.

July 30, 2010 12:03:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I found a half dozen of my stolen clips here as well in the same account.  I have sent the info to WC.  Every other legitimate agency I have contacted about stolen works has removed them within 24 hours, so we'll see what happens.  How quickly they act will determine my next step.  I am a motion graphics artist for a living.  It pays my bills.  It puts food in the mouths of my children.  So this isn't just a matter of pride for me (or many others like me), it's a matter of being able to take care of my family.

July 30, 2010 12:04:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I'm new and I saw allot of copyrighted work being passed out for free, so I thought there was a need for a poll.

Well then if you know the original artists of this work, have them privately contact an admin to have it removed.

Again WC does not condone ripped/stolen work and it will be removed if proven to be so. A poll will not do anything to expedite this happening.

99% of the members here know WC's policies so this poll is really kind of redundant.

July 30, 2010 12:06:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

so I'm really wondering when that's going to get fixed

So you know, Jafo lives in Australia so there is a bit of a time difference, and anyone Stardock (the company that owns WC) would most likely be sleeping right now. (Central time zone USA)

July 30, 2010 12:23:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Unfortunately, I had to go through the trouble of getting my material removed from YouTube earlier this year and they took almost a full 24 hours... so that's pretty reasonable.  Although it's very frustrating to know they are still there being downloaded.  In the meantime, I know the authors of a few dozen other clips in the offenders portfolio and I have contacted them about it.  For good measure, I screen-shot his entire portfolio in case it's needed for any legal stuff.

Eternal, I sent an email to all of the agencies where I sell my work.  Since they have the deep pockets and vigorously defend the copyrights of their contributors (since it affects their bottom line as much as ours), I would suggest you do the same.

In the meantime, I think it's only fair to be a little patient and see what WC and Stardock does over the next 24 hours before escalating this.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001047   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.