start menu

By on July 29, 2010 12:41:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

MzGaz

Join Date 05/2004

How do you make a short start menu as I have seen in many screenshots? I've tried editing the skin and saving, but it hasn't change when I re-apply the windowblind.

Thank you, Mary

28 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 29, 2010 1:16:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The height of the start menu is controlled mainly by how many items you have on the start menu, editing the skin would not make that much difference if you have a lot of items on your start menu.

July 29, 2010 3:30:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How do you make a short start menu as I have seen in many screenshots?

To decrease the number of programs you have listed on the start panel (and thereby decrease the height of the start panel):

Right click on the taskbar, select Properties.  When that window opens, select the start Menu tab, then click on the Customize button.  At the bottom on the right, is the place where you can decrease the number of program items.  Click OK.  Be sure to click on Apply before you close out of the Properties Window completely.   

July 29, 2010 3:50:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Note that you may need to decrease the number of items on the right side as well as the number of pinned or recently opened programs shown on the left side to get it as short as you want. You may also try switching to small icons for further size reduction. (I like my start menu short as well.)

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 30, 2010 12:25:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you. I know about those settings. Below are a couple ss that show an even shorter menu. I have the second ss skin myself and the start menu is not that short.

http://skins14.wincustomize.com/17/98/1798201/13/26474/preview-13-26474.jpg

http://skins19.wincustomize.com/17/98/1798201/13/26499/preview-13-26499.jpg

July 30, 2010 5:49:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In those shots, small startpanel icons are being used. That would also make a difference.

July 30, 2010 8:57:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey MzGaz, I see you are a fellow Hoosier!  Nice screen shot of my Radiate theme on Win 7, looks good!

July 30, 2010 9:10:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I realize about the small icons, the only thing I have on my start menu is computer and control panel and still the start menu is larger.

Lightstar, Hoosier? If you mean from Indiana, no sorry. I'm close though, Illinois

Yes, Radiate is a great wb! Looks good on Vista, too. Just trying to figure out how to get my start menu that short. I'll ask the publisher of that SS as well.

July 30, 2010 2:01:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Lightstar, Hoosier? If you mean from Indiana, no sorry. I'm close though, Illinois

Oop's sorry then, I just now realized those were not your screen shots. 

July 31, 2010 12:20:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

maybe the short start menus are a windows 7 thing.

July 31, 2010 12:36:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting MzGaz,
maybe the short start menus are a windows 7 thing.

I don't think so, I was able to do a small startmenu when I used xp. Why don't you post a screenshot of what yours looks like, then someone might be able to figure out the problem.

July 31, 2010 1:08:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i edit the skin in skinstudio and it shows that the start menu looks small and I save it as a substyle. when i apply it, looks the same as if i hadn't resized it. tried reloading wb as well.

July 31, 2010 1:37:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I realize about the small icons, the only thing I have on my start menu is computer and control panel and still the start menu is larger.

i edit the skin in skinstudio and it shows that the start menu looks small and I save it as a substyle. when i apply it, looks the same as if i hadn't resized it. tried reloading wb as well.

It has nothing to do with editing in skinstudio, you say you only have computer and control panel on start menu, that is on the places (right) side, how many programs do you have on the programs (left) side. You must decrease number of items on this side as well in order to shorten the start menu.

July 31, 2010 10:31:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i have no programs listed on left side. Here is a pic of my desktop. I've even resized the program list image and the place list image in skinstudio. It shows that the menu is much shorter in skinstudio and I saved it as a sub-style, but it doesn't change what you see below once I reapply the skin after editing.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/mzgaz/stuff/DESKTOPFORUM.jpg

August 2, 2010 12:41:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

anyone have any ideas?

August 2, 2010 1:51:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Open SKS and edit the text margins for the places side...the bottom one will need to be a negative number. Its a Vista/7 bug.

August 3, 2010 9:29:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Editing the text margins will give me a vertically shorter menu like shown in the 2 screenshots above?

August 3, 2010 10:35:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, just keep lowering the text margin on the right (places panel) side until you get what you want, even if you go into negative numbers.

August 3, 2010 1:09:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In SKS, chose "edit startmenu", chose "place list", chose "text". Played around a bit with the "bottom" and even lowered it all the way to -100 and saved changes. No change. Reapplied skin couple times, changed skin and reapplied the one I edited, still no change. I have free version of SKS, does that matter? 

August 3, 2010 1:30:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Make sure the amount of recently used programs to be displayed is set to 0.(and clear the list)  see if that helps.

SKS being the free version shouldnt affect this...but I've never used it so I cant swear.

August 3, 2010 8:26:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

the only thing i have on my start menu is my computer and  control panel. all else had been set to 0.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/mzgaz/stuff/DESKTOPFORUM.jpg

August 4, 2010 1:18:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I emailed Chasbo and asked him how he did it. He just has to do "properties" on the startmenu. He has W7, I have vista. Must be the difference, darn. I'm still hoping to find a way in SKS to do it. When I was on XP I substyled compact menus (horizontally) all the time, but I guess things change and I have to learn all over again. Thank you everyone for trying to help me out!

August 4, 2010 2:16:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Must be the difference, darn.

I think you are correct.  I remember having a problem getting my menu shorter..........another reason Vista sux in so many ways!

August 4, 2010 4:39:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yep, you cannot shorten the height of the start menu much in Vista, it will always be taller no matter what.  All this time I thought you were talking about Windows 7.

August 4, 2010 4:55:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Two desktop icons and a sidebar shutdown gadget would handle what you have left, other than reading the All Programs list which would be a pain  so....dumb question time. Why would anyone want a start menu that short?

August 5, 2010 12:36:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry about that LightStar.

Wizard, don't really care for having any icons on my desktop except the ones in my sidebar and i like the compact look of a short menu.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.