"Suites" - Components Missing??

By on May 14, 2010 11:23:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Kenny782

Join Date 05/2009

Okay I just bought the object desktop package lastnight.

I run Theme Manager, I download some "theme suites", but I can't apply any of them...

I enable "I want to see advanced options when applying suites"

They all seem to be missing some resources (see example below).
Is there a simple way to track these down other than searching all over the site?

Not sure why they aren't compiled into it or auto downloaded. To me suite would usually mean all inclusive.

Thanks,

Kenny

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 14, 2010 11:53:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Currently, Theme Manager does not work correctly. This is a known issue. Some things get applied, some don't.

Actually, the suite file only links to the said skins, the ones you don't already have, are supposed to download.

May 15, 2010 12:17:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

the ones you don't already have, are supposed to download.

And with the new WC site up now the links are now useless as all the urls have changed.

May 15, 2010 12:33:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

nice, they sell broken software....   I guess I should be getting a refund lol

Thanks for the reply though guys.

-Kenny

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 15, 2010 12:38:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

nice, they sell broken software....

Actually, the software is fine, it's the Windows OS that has changed, and Theme Manager is being updated, I think, to mesh with those changes.

May 15, 2010 12:40:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And with the new WC site up now the links are now useless as all the urls have changed.

This is not the case, I don't think. If it were, all your old uploads would suffer the same end. They would not work either. Think about it. 

May 15, 2010 10:29:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is not the case, I don't think.

Just tested, the links in themes are working, must have been a fix in Theme Manager 3, with version 2 and the release of old WC when it was new the links in themes were borked.

May 15, 2010 10:35:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Looks to me like you need to install the host programs if you wish to use those parts of the Suite. Theme manager will install the skins but not the programs. Most are part of your subscription. The others I believe are free and should have a link to them in their particular library.

May 15, 2010 11:50:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Theme manager will install the skins but not the programs.

Yes, but it will not consistently launch all the programs. It usually just launches the wall and the WB. It will not launch the DesktopX , or apply the icons, etc. Unless you're running XP.

May 15, 2010 11:56:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Unless you're running XP.

Not often but now and then it will bork loading icons and DX even on XP.

May 15, 2010 12:28:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yup, Theme Manager could have been an excellent program, especially the Suite making function. 

At present you can not make a new suite because it can not find the download url when you use the search function.  I've identified the problem and it was passed on to the appropriate folks.  Just will have to wait for the fix.  I think it got broken with the new WC site coming on line.

Just my opinion but if Theme Manager isn't going to be updated to use it's full potential the plug should be pulled on it.

May 15, 2010 1:41:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just my opinion but if Theme Manager isn't going to be updated to use it's full potential the plug should be pulled on it.

Agreed.

May 15, 2010 4:09:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Kenny--don't rush out to get a refund. Theme Manager is actually a free program. The highlights of ObjectDesktop are WindowBlinds, IconPackager and DesktopX, and a whole lot of other programs.

Theme Manager would be awesome if it worked like it used to. It's the ideal, and only, way to restore a previous desktop with one button push. I'd hate to see it go away, but if they don't fix it, I have to agree with Philly and RND. 

May 15, 2010 9:00:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I found a few desktops I liked and now I'm killing myself to find all the pieces to put together just one.

May 15, 2010 10:47:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

[quote who="Kenny782" reply="13" id="2620644"]I found a few desktops I liked and now I'm killing myself to find all the pieces to put together just one.
[/quote]

If you're lucky, you can get a WindowBlinds skin, an IconPackager theme, a wallpaper, a cursor, DesktopX widgets and themes (clock, weather, calendar, launchbar, system metrics, music player, etc.), docks (for ObjectDock, free and paid versions), a Sysmetrix skin (a separate, free program, a Rainlendar skin (another separate, free program), and others. Welcome to the world of skinning.

May 15, 2010 11:18:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm killing myself to find all the pieces to put together just one.
For each program installed you can do a gallery search for the components.

I start with the WB,then just search by it's name for dock backgrounds, cursors, DX theme,IP, etc. in the corresponding galleries.  Also,most WindowBlinds that have matching "extras" often have links to those extras in the WB description.

No fair killing yourself off early,skinning is an addiction best enjoyed  slooowly.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.