Karma - what is it good for?

By on May 12, 2010 5:16:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

_PawelS_

Join Date 09/2003
+18

Are there any advantages of having a high karma? If not, what's the point of the whole karma system of this forum?

(I'm just curious, I don't think I'll ever have much of it )

128 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 31, 2010 12:33:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Altaux,
uh no he doesn't

Reduced 67%

Original 500 x 655

Man...that picture SOOO reflects my life right now. I've got so many drugs being shoved at me by doctors....if I was a junkie and not just a pot head, I'd be in paradise.....minus all the mind numbing pain and vomiting etc etc...

May 31, 2010 1:22:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Doctors are not there to cure, they just keep people alive to sell drugs to. Why did I have to pay out of my own pocket (Canada free health care) to see an oriental doctor that actually found what was causing my illness when my family doctor was happy putting $10,000 band-aids on it. Even a cocaine pusher does not want there customers dieing but alive enough to come again and again.

Thats bad karma!

May 31, 2010 3:42:40 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

So, no one becomes a doctor to help people?

Doctors are just legalized drug pushers?

That is sad. Really, really sad.

Then again, maybe that is why I don't go to doctors to 'cure' a common cold or a flu bug.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 11, 2010 2:31:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know how long it's been there, but somewhere amongst his recent updates Bara has added a View Karma Given option to the user karma pages. Finally, this site karma stuff has some, ahem, balance.

I'd like to suggest adding the total given to the info on that bar, to make it easy to see at a glance what I found with a bit of clicking. There's some fascinating variety in folks who get lots and give much less, give lots more than they have, etc.

Beyond the raw numbers on the 'karma economy,' clicking through to the list of karma given is an interesting way to learn more about users whose posts you tend to appreciate. Among other things, it seems like it can lead you to some threads you might have otherwise missed but are glad you finally found.

October 11, 2010 2:37:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,
I don't know how long it's been there, but somewhere amongst his recent updates Bara has added a View Karma Given option to the user karma pages. Finally, this site karma stuff has some, ahem, balance.

I'd like to suggest adding the total given to the info on that bar, to make it easy to see at a glance what I found with a bit of clicking. There's some fascinating variety in folks who get lots and give much less, give lots more than they have, etc.

Beyond the raw numbers on the 'karma economy,' clicking through to the list of karma given is an interesting way to learn more about users whose posts you tend to appreciate. Among other things, it seems like it can lead you to some threads you might have otherwise missed but are glad you finally found.

Thanks for the feedback

And you can view the total given, it's right there in the bar as you said:

Bara

October 11, 2010 2:50:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I really like the addition of this feature, it's like having a karma time capsule.

October 11, 2010 3:05:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You would wiz or should I say Doc JR.

October 11, 2010 4:42:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GunslingerBara,
... And you can view the total given, it's right there in the bar as you said: ...

Beg pardon for not being precisely clear with my picky point. I was hoping to see the karma given total included in the link text that leads to the karma given details. That way, one click on a user's karma total in a post would lead to a page that showed totals for both karma received and karma given.

p.s. The global karma math might still have a teeny bug in it. My totals at GC2 and Elemental match, but I'm somehow 1 point lower at joeuser.

October 11, 2010 7:13:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hey GW, long time no see!

p.s. The global karma math might still have a teeny bug in it. My totals at GC2 and Elemental match, but I'm somehow 1 point lower at joeuser.
I see what you mean but it appears that you're a special case as I checked out a random thread there and the four folks or so that had any karma at all had the same both "here" and "there".

BTW love the new "posted from" information.

However one issue with the new "universal" karma is that it's application is not consistent across SD's different forum sites. In particular the WC site has a plethora of "elevated" users that based on their "forum rank" can issue up to 9 points of karma in a single application.

I'm not begrudging the WC folks their karma levels as I know in many case it's warranted, however making karma universal across sites does does highlight this discrepancy. These days as far as I know the only indication of someones "forum rank" is how much karma they are allowed to give. Forum rank used to be something that was displayed in your profile page and in most cases even minor elevations in rank indicated some reasonable level of contribution to the "forum community" but that many forums did not utilize it.

So are there any plans to reinstate a more obvious "forum rank" status and to make some attempt to make rank consistent across different sites?

October 11, 2010 7:44:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Karma's a feel good thing. How much you have or how little means nothing. What does is that when someone likes what was said or what was done to be helpful or, as in my case, totally non-sensical, it's just another way of expressing it.

(Pssst ...... did I get it right?)

Under the front porch next to the cabbage patch ... okay. No large bills and make sure they're non-denominational please.

October 11, 2010 7:54:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Karma is all about revenge which is a dish best served with salt.

October 12, 2010 3:22:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Karma is also good for people with smaller than average head circumferences.

... and who can't go into a store and find a hat that fits them.

October 12, 2010 10:54:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
GW Swicord, off topic but I just gotta say, I am really diggin' that avatar.

landisaurus made it for me when some newer folks at Elemental also started using the original, non-Vulcan version that the devs posted. I paid him in karma.

Mumblefratz, I've not been around GC2 lately and the devs removed Off Topic from the Elemental forums. I'm around, just not often where you're likely to see me posting.

Re the forum ranking stuff, didn't someone (Bara?) say that it was being phased out? I can still give 2 karma at GC2, but the removal of the ranking field from posts and profiles suggests that newer sites like Elemental will not use rankings at all.

October 17, 2010 11:44:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

this may even answer  the question

October 17, 2010 11:56:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

mrs starkers would pick videos that include bunch of people on the subway taking their pants off.

Naughty, naughty.

October 17, 2010 10:08:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

this may even answer the question

I just love those chain reaction things, they're so funny... not to mention very cleverly done.

mrs starkers would pick videos that include bunch of people on the subway taking their pants off.

Naughty, naughty.

Yup, she's really naughty orright... her contributions to Redneck Dude's 'Farts can be Funny' is a testament to that... not to mention all the jokes she puts up here and there.

October 18, 2010 6:37:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You are one very lucky man sir. Kudos to you and the missus. You guys rock!

October 18, 2010 8:13:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You are one very lucky man sir. Kudos to you and the missus. You guys rock!

aww thanks my matey, its people like you  that make us laugh and have fun and that is what it's all about.....  If you had known me about 10 or so years earlier  you wouldn't have gotten me to say boo to anyone, I was so shy. but now its like there is no stopping me ... everyone on here has made this such a great  family fun place to be. starkers and I are so happy that we have  our extended family here .. and if we can make people laugh with our sillyness  and tomfoolery then that's a bonus too ,  so thanks  everyone [e digicons]:karma:[/e]

October 18, 2010 9:11:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

our extended family here

That's what its all about.

October 18, 2010 9:16:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's what its all about.

so true

October 18, 2010 2:42:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And now for your entertainment we proudly present ...... pssst. Who's on the card now?

October 18, 2010 2:52:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
#77: (myfist0) In your case we'll make an exception....no meeds of any kind, ever for you. Happy?
October 25, 2010 11:38:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am not new here but I can't even seem to buy some of this useless karma

October 26, 2010 12:00:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,
I am not new here but I can't even seem to buy some of this useless karma

Maybe you have to give before you get?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.