fences starts late after startup/boot.

fences late load/startup

By on April 24, 2010 5:26:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

voidshot

Join Date 04/2010

Hi i'm running windows 7 64x and having problem with Stardock Fences.

Every time I boot my computer it takes fences about 1:30m  to load.. so double clicking or anything is useless.

I taught it was a delayed start set by my startup task manager but Fences is not even listed on the startup manager..

So, my fences starts a a late load, 1 minute to much, and the thing is i only have a 4 cpu hunggryless programs that auto run at start up, so it leaves fences no excuse to start a late load, as if waiting for other auto run programs to boot at startup.

does this happen to anyone else? a late auto run from fences at startup?
any suggestions as to how I can fix this issue? 

19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 24, 2010 6:38:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi Void,

Would you mind telling me what else also auto-starts up with your computer please? And may I recommend that you download a program that can let you prioritise or stop certain programs from running at start up.

I am currently running Windows 7 x32 and it takes me about 10 seconds to get everything loaded. Maybe a disc check or defrag are needed? Or just an optimisation of startup and shutdown. I use TuneUp Utilities found at http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/ and it works quite well. It is easy to tweak and the live optimisation works beautifully.

Post back here if you need any more help.

Regards
Ben
A.K.A huntsclan

April 24, 2010 7:34:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i have 3 differnt programs that that allows me to tweek start up programs, and non shows fences in order to manipulate its behavior during start up... meaning, fences for some reason is not recognized as a program at all..

I only have the windows default start up program, audio, touchpad, etc, and my antivirus which loads up in less then 5 seconds.

and yes i have a system optimization utilities, and ive done defrag, registry cleaning and all those things....

April 24, 2010 9:03:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hmmm.... Have you checked the integrity of Fences' files? What does Tweak7 say in its startup report?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 26, 2010 6:18:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Fences is a .dll file loaded into explorer.exe, and would not show up in startup items.  I would say try adding exceptions for Fences in the AV software, as that's all I can really think of that may delay the load.

April 26, 2010 9:13:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry to be late on the response, 

i found what is the problem, when the computer boots, it doesn't matter how long i wait for fences to boot even if i double click a thousand times, it simply wont show, untill i right click on the desktop,... 

when the computer boots up and  logs into the desktop i simply right click once and fences is loaded within 3 seconds.. after wards the double click function works as normal, until the next boot session.

its as if the right click is what loads up the fences program at start up.. 

does this happen to anyone else? do you need to right click once after boot to load the fences program? or does your fence automatically loads with out having to press anything?

April 27, 2010 10:02:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This shouldn't be required, and it sounds like something is preventing Fences from loading correctly until that context menu is shown (which I believe will load the .dll to show the 'Configure Fences...' option.)

April 27, 2010 11:40:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

yeah i figured i id be the one with that problem..but you know what? i actually find that "bug" helpful to me, i rather right click to load for the first time then have it automatically show at start up.

April 28, 2010 10:00:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

yeah i figured i id be the one with that problem..but you know what? i actually find that "bug" helpful to me, i rather right click to load for the first time then have it automatically show at start up.

If it's not broke don't fix it.  If you do decide you're not liking this, please e-mail support@stardock.com so we can get more in depth info on the situation.

August 7, 2012 11:52:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Is there a fix for this? I am having the same issue on Windows 8

August 8, 2012 8:39:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting brandensteinberg,
Is there a fix for this? I am having the same issue on Windows 8
At this time, Fences is not supported on Win8.  As we get closer you will see beta versions of our software announced.

October 16, 2012 12:26:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello,

i have the same problem with the actual version fences 2.0 on my windows 7 64bit version!

after the startup, there don´t appear the fences when i click the desktop... after some seconds they are visible!

when i now click on the desktop the are visible immediately without delay!

Has someone found an solution for this annoying problem?

Thankx

Alexander

October 17, 2012 11:04:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi Alexander,

I'm using a new build of fences 2 on a windows 8 x64 system and can confirm your problem. I'm using Start8 together with Fences2. First the Desktop is quite clean, after a while Shortcuts and fences becomes visible. Probably a normal behavior.

October 19, 2012 11:09:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi thomas-k,

i´m glad to hear that there are still other people with the same problem.....

I tryed many things but i don´t find the reason / solution to fix it.... so i hope that the developers can confirm this "bug" and fix it soon!

October 21, 2012 5:05:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It also has a lag distortion for a few seconds when you decide to 'refresh' the desktop. Prioritizing a refresh or start to a high level internally would be a good move. If they can somehow make it start at the exact same time as the windows shell, it would probably fix it. For example, the 360Desktop program does this flawlessly, but it is outdated and lacks many options to make it superior to Fences.

November 5, 2012 8:32:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same problem here (even with the interesting "feature", that right clicking fixes the problem)

Win 8, 64-bit, together with Start8.

Are there any plans, when Windows 8 will be fully supported?

December 2, 2012 12:20:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I too have this issue.

December 6, 2012 10:37:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Add me to the list. Without right-clicking on the desktop I have nothing.

Running the latest version 2.01 with AMD Radeon HD 7950 graphics card on windows 8 - 64bit.

The problem occurs in both eyefinity with 3 monitors or normal desktop modes.

## FIXED ## I uninstalled Fences again (keeping my settings etc.) and re-installed and the problem has now gone away.

We might have to blame something other than Fences.

December 17, 2012 6:53:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same issue +1.

December 30, 2012 5:47:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Anyone tried loading Fences from the Task Scheduler as a "task"? When I installed Fences, it was in the Startup folder of Windows 8. The delay was much longer when it was in the Startup folder. I created a startup task for this in Task Scheduler and the delay is a lot shorter. Any ill effect in doing this? Start8 is also installed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001203   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.