Brrr, it's too cold...!

By on January 1, 2010 9:01:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Fuzzy Logic

Join Date 05/2002
+451

Ok, I know we don't have weather as cold as other places in the world, but I'm not used to having my eyeballs frozen.

For this time of year, we would expect Dec Max Min of 8°/3° and Jan of 7°/2°, with the occasional mild spell and occasional cold spell.

It has been around 0° for the last two weeks! This is the forcast for the next week:

I want to go somewhere warm, enough is enough

51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 1, 2010 9:17:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can come here...we have -16C right now....a bit brisk, but I was outside without a coat to feed the birds and get the newspaper....       ...but I do know temperature is relative, and I hope it warms up for you really quick Fuzzy!!!    

January 1, 2010 9:26:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ahhhh.... mystery solved. That clicking sound to the North-East was Fuzzy's eyeballs! 

January 1, 2010 10:47:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just thought I'd go out in the car for an hour this afternoon. We have no snow here, it's too warm but the hills nearby are white.

Yup, so are the roads... Three different roads I had to either back down or turn around somehow. Totally unpassable. Sigh

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 1, 2010 11:13:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I want to go somewhere warm, enough is enough

You could always come to sunny Queensland here in Oz.  Today was a pleasant 29c, and we're expecting similar tomorrow/the next few days.  However, we can have Summer days that can get into the 40c's, which might be a little warm for you, coming from an English Winter n' all.

Oh, and yes, (dunno 'bout down Jafo's way but) we DO HAVE flushing toilets with seats and paper conveniently placed in city and suburban homes, shopping centres and service stations.... so you don't have to walk hundreds of miles for a slash/bog.

January 1, 2010 11:20:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You could always come to sunny Queensland here in Oz. Today was a pleasant 29c, and we're expecting similar tomorrow/the next few days. However, we can have Summer days that can get into the 40c's, which might be a little warm for you, coming from an English Winter n' all.

Too warm. I like it a nice steady 22°. Pleasant, not too sweaty, T-Shirt weather

January 1, 2010 11:40:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Very cold here too-It is sposed to get 27 below tonight not counting the wind chill!!  Brrrrrrrrr

January 1, 2010 11:56:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Too warm. I like it a nice steady 22°. Pleasant, not too sweaty, T-Shirt weather

Actually, for T-shirt weather I prefer it around 20 to 22c myself.  I'm not at all partial to the heat and prefer Winter any day... 16 to 18c c during the day, down to 3 or 4c at night (sometimes it gets lower) is perfect for me.  I'm much happier and healthier in the cooler weather by far.

Due to spinal issues and crushed nerves in my neck, I sweat so profusely that it saturates my shirt, and at times I can become ill if I'm unable to keep cool in front of a fan or in air-con.  Funny thing, that!  I can get around day and night in Winter temps with just a T-shirt and shorts (and underwear, of course), yet the arthritis acts up far worse in the Summer heat.  I would have thought it would have been the other way around, and many people with arthritis report that it is for them, yet I do not feel the cold that much and tend to be more active/mobile in the cooler months.

January 1, 2010 12:15:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
You seem to be living in the wrong part of England, Fuzzy, our forcast in the far SW is a balmy 1c for the next few nights, being surrounded by the Atlantic keeps us warm, mind you, it is a bit wet & windy, & spend a lot of time in the fog. Don't get much snow, but the last 10 days it keeps raining & then freezing, which I think is worse because you can't see it. I blame global warming, this is our second cold winter in a row.
January 1, 2010 12:16:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yup, so are the roads... Three different roads I had to either back down or turn around somehow. Totally unpassable. Sigh

Hope there's something good on the tele, mate!

January 1, 2010 12:32:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have no idea what you folks are talking about, some very 'smart' peope have explained to everyone that we are in a crises with 'Global Warming'. 

I  don't see how you just can't understand that. 

Anyone out there want to trade their 'Village Idiot' for Mr. Gore?  Come on, please.

January 1, 2010 1:11:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Anyone out there want to trade their 'Village Idiot' for Mr. Gore? Come on, please.

Yup, and we'll take two court jesters, one village idiot and a certifiable lunatic for PM Rudd.... and his effwit ETS.

Seems to me, when God was handing out the brains, the vast majority of politicians got in the wrong queue and ended up with an extra bowel instead.

I've spoken with numerous people who believe this ETS/global warming thing is a crock of shit devised by power/fuel/engery execs to gouge even more money from the poaying public... that our pollies have either been paid off or are too flaming thick to see they're being conned... and I agree 100%  Global warming/cooling have been natural occurrences since the dawn of time (on this planet), and that's what we're experiencing now... a natural occurrence.

Yup, when the truth is realised, energy execs will be despised by many as the 'new bankers' of the world.

January 1, 2010 1:19:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Keep away from Norway then. It's been -10C - -20C here in Trondheim. (Colder some other places). My poor electric heaters can't keep up! ...all the heat goes up to the neighbour above - I'm at the ground floor... *grumble*

January 1, 2010 1:55:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting teddybearcholla,
You can come here...we have -16C right now....a bit brisk, but I was outside without a coat to feed the birds and get the newspaper....       ...but I do know temperature is relative, and I hope it warms up for you really quick Fuzzy!!!    

January 1, 2010 2:40:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

switch to farenheit degrees...its warmer

January 1, 2010 2:42:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

[gotta pay that one]

January 1, 2010 3:10:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Even with the air con and a fan going I could not sleep. To damn hot. Please send snow my way and I will post some Global Warming back to you!!!

January 1, 2010 3:24:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

and I agree 100% Global warming/cooling have been natural occurrences since the dawn of time (on this planet), and that's what we're experiencing now... a natural occurrence.

Couldn't agree more, Starkers, every time we have a flood in the UK there is a TV reporter saying this is the worst flood here for 100 - 150 years or more, so it happened then, climate has always changed, they tell us that in the ice age. as far south as the northern shores of the Mediterranean was under ice, well the ice cap melted then, or else it would have been too cold for Fuzzy to inhabit Sheffield.

January 1, 2010 3:57:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LOL Doc!!!  That is a cute pic!!!!    Here's a cute one for you Fuzzy..... 

"Did you hear about the thoughtful Scotsman who was heading out to the pub? 

He turned to his wee wife before leaving and said, Margaret  put your hat and coat on lassie.

She replied,  Awe Jock thats nice  are you taking me to the pub with you?

Nah, Jock replied, I'm switching the central heating off while I'm oot."

January 1, 2010 7:28:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

thats a crack up Barb loved it 

January 2, 2010 1:08:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CountryYokel,

and I agree 100% Global warming/cooling have been natural occurrences since the dawn of time (on this planet), and that's what we're experiencing now... a natural occurrence.

Couldn't agree more, Starkers, every time we have a flood in the UK there is a TV reporter saying this is the worst flood here for 100 - 150 years or more, so it happened then, climate has always changed, they tell us that in the ice age. as far south as the northern shores of the Mediterranean was under ice, well the ice cap melted then, or else it would have been too cold for Fuzzy to inhabit Sheffield.

Precisely, Yokie, it has all happened before, and anyone who has studied history/geography/geology knows that... that these are natural occurences resulting from the dynamic nature of the Earth.  Sadly, however, education over the last 20 - 30 years has been focussed on economics and, as such, those with the most to gain have been able to dupe the younger, tree hugging generation into believing the planet is doomed if we don't implement ETS world-wide.

My though on that, if the power/fuel/energy people gave a stuff about the planet in the first place, is that they would have implemented 'best practice' measures decades ago... but no, they continued willy-nilly and are now saying that it will cost them considerably more to clean up their acts and produce 'clean' energy/fuel.  BULLSHIT!!!!! 

What this is really about is greed... an attempt to justify hiking up prices well beyond the norm.  And while we have jackass poliies with IQ's just above moron status... many below, they are getting away with it.  Here in Oz, the power companies intend to jack up our electricity costs by 50% to 60% next july - so-say to cover their costs if the ETS bill is passed - but in real tems our bills will have risen by 120% over four years.  No other commodity/item has increased by half that much, not even petrol, and our pollies are not only letting them get away with it, we have the likes of PM Rudd actually encouraging it with his bullshit ETS.

What's worse... no, criminal about the entire charade, is that 'global warming. cooling, too, will continue long after they have implemented all these so-called 'planet saving measures.  Yes, the pollies will have egg on their face, and the power/energy execs will get lynched, but we all will be certainly poorer for it (just as hot or cold) and the gap between the haves and the have nots will have become an insurmountable chasm.

Oh, and another thing!  Rising sea levels being attributed to greenhouse gases, etc!  Bollocks... total bollocks!!!  We have the same amount of sea water as our prehistoric ancestors... not more.  If some areas around the globe appear to be 'sinking' into the sea, it is the result of geolical shifts... the displacement of water due to land subduction in another part of the world.  Just as new islands/atolls can be born as a result of volcanic/seismic activity, so will land masses shrink/disappear into the sea as water is displaced elsewhere.  In essence, then, it's the laws of physics and nature... not some cooked up global warming scheme to extract more money from the paying public.

Having said all that, I DO agree that we need to look after our planet by polluting far less... by stopping wholesale deforestation, which is more likely to cause global warming, given that trees/vegetation provide our oxygen and help purify the atmosphere.  A thin, dirty atmosphere will generate more heat as the pollutant molecules above us are expanded, bounced around and heated by the energy of the sun, so yes, we need to pollute far less... but not by paying billions upon billions to corporate entities.  They need to learn restraint, humility and far less greed... respect for their customers by not thinking they're gullible, stupid and easily parted from their money, and therefore deserve to be ripped off.

January 2, 2010 4:37:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sigh, a global warming denier. You should be in this thread http://forums.stardock.com/370739/page/1/#replies

The cold weather we are having was predictable. It's due to the North Atlantic 'conveyor' slowing down, due to large amounts of fresh water coming from melting glaciers in greenland, due to the large rise in temperature there, due to the global warming...

...but that's a debate for that other thread. You should read it.

January 2, 2010 7:02:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It'll be 38 here next Saturday....probably the beginning of our next bushfire season....

January 2, 2010 7:29:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The cold weather we are having was predictable. It's due to the North Atlantic 'conveyor' slowing down, due to large amounts of fresh water coming from melting glaciers in greenland, due to the large rise in temperature there, due to the global warming...[/quote]

Unfortunately, quite correct.

[quote who="Jafo" reply="22" id="2494174"]It'll be 38 here next Saturday....probably the beginning of our next bushfire season....

No break for you guys. A nice iceberg plunked down near you guys might be really nice!

I still remember the 173 Australians and 93 fire fighters killed by the insane arson...and a fire that moved at 140 kph (3-4 miles a minute!) and pray for no fires this year!

January 2, 2010 9:30:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

-16C here right now, but I still remember the good old days up in Minnesota where it would get to -54C wind chill!  Brrrrrrrrrrr indeed! 

January 2, 2010 9:42:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

NW Indiana it's 8 F. with snow. It's frickin' January! That's what I expect.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000532   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.