Cursor FX Plus control panel keeps freezing up.

By on December 25, 2009 12:32:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

wazza1958

Join Date 08/2004
+3

EVer since I had installed Windows 7 Home Premium from Windows Vista Home Premium, my Cursor FX Plus version 2.02 control panel keeps freezing up and I can't use it at all. I have to bring up Task Manager to close the program.

Is this version of Cursor FX compatible with Windows 7?

Does anyone else in similar situation have the same problem?

After all I did pay for the Cursor FX Plus software.

Please someone help.

65 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 11, 2010 1:25:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

even though i have Cursor FX Plus and now it works a bit better with my Windows 7 Home Premium since i changed the compatibility section under Properties to be compatible with Windows Vista, sometimes the cursor goes back to Windows default too. i for example have an external mouse that i use often and let's say i have a Cursor FX Plus cursor and then i touch my Touch Pad on my notebook/laptop by accident, then my cursor goes back to Windows default. then i have to restart Cursor FX Plus control panel and click on Apply twice and i get the cursor back that i had from Cursor FX Plus. so even though Stardock keeps on blaming the people's computers, i still think there is something wrong with CursorFX Plus and its compatibility with Windows 7.

October 23, 2010 1:36:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've had this trouble on a 7 home premium 64-bit system too with the free version.  Usually it froze after adding a cursor (perhaps that it didn't like).  Tonight, however, I installed Intoxica which is a newer theme.  After realizing that it froze, I deleted the theme and started the control panel again.  It froze again (it had never done that before).  So, I found this thread, right-clicked and set to compatibility mode with Vista SP2, opened the control panel, and it DIDN'T freeze!  Hopefully that will solve the issue in the long term.  Thank you!

October 23, 2010 11:25:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting happyboy7,
I've had this trouble on a 7 home premium 64-bit system too with the free version.  Usually it froze after adding a cursor (perhaps that it didn't like).  Tonight, however, I installed Intoxica which is a newer theme.  After realizing that it froze, I deleted the theme and started the control panel again.  It froze again (it had never done that before).  So, I found this thread, right-clicked and set to compatibility mode with Vista SP2, opened the control panel, and it DIDN'T freeze!  Hopefully that will solve the issue in the long term.  Thank you!

I have this problem on Vista 64, but this doesn't fix it, looks like a reinstall.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 23, 2010 1:13:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting happyboy7, reply 52I've had this trouble on a 7 home premium 64-bit system too with the free version.  Usually it froze after adding a cursor (perhaps that it didn't like).  Tonight, however, I installed Intoxica which is a newer theme.  After realizing that it froze, I deleted the theme and started the control panel again.  It froze again (it had never done that before).  So, I found this thread, right-clicked and set to compatibility mode with Vista SP2, opened the control panel, and it DIDN'T freeze!  Hopefully that will solve the issue in the long term.  Thank you!

I have this problem on Vista 64, but this doesn't fix it, looks like a reinstall.

I had the same with the plus version as well under 7 Home Premium 32bit. How I fixed it was load up Impulse then, while right-clicking on CursorFX Plus, also hold down the shift key then click on the verify installation menu option. It told me that there was an update I had missed. after installing the update everything was fine.

October 23, 2010 1:54:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Vista 64

Aha! There's your problem!

October 23, 2010 1:56:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Vista 64

Aha! There's your problem!

Probably......

October 23, 2010 4:54:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am so glad I read this post ,,,,,, I was just telling someone today that I miss Cursor.  I will now try some of the suggestions I have read and keep my fingers ++'d !! 

Also a relief (well sort of) that I am not the only one with similar issues.....and how awesome it is when we all join together to discuss and try to reach solutions.

I must say that the skinners are awesome in assisting and I am very grateful to those that have kept me from yanking my hair out or flinging my pc out the window lollllll j/k   

Good Luck and please continue to communicate the issues !!

Elizabeth[e digicons]:karma:[/e]

October 23, 2010 4:58:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

oh and by the way ,,,,,I forgot to ask ,,,,,,,,,does the freeware get updated by Stardock/Wincustomize ?  I purchased Object Desktop for a year and

the cursor fx is included as freeware but I cannot update due to the fact that Stardock will not allow me to unless I purchase.  but I was wondering

if the freeware ever gets updated.  (thinking the answer is no, but wanted to verify it)

thanks again !!

[e digicons]:karma:[/e]

October 23, 2010 5:22:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ok  I think I found my issue !!  Cursorfx was not associated with any program, so I went to control panel,,and did it and so far

wow my issues are resolved.......now I will need to reload my themes etc.......cya lata !!

December 28, 2010 7:16:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, I tested my cursors by putting them all into a different folder and replacing by each letter of the alphabet (fairly quick this way).  Turned out that the culprit was the Color+OS pack.  They were the only ones which froze the program.  All others work fine.  My hard drive had recently crashed and the program worked on the old HD and I had an old download of those same cursor+os cursors which caused no problems.  So I tried copying those old ones to the new folder but it also caused it to crash.  I guess Win7 just doesn't like those cursors (I have Win 7 home premium 64 bit).  I have over 200 cursors and this was the only culprit.  Hope this helps.

January 13, 2011 3:59:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yesterday I downloaded 2 cursor sets: Ascari and Centurion.  I really liked the way they looked on the site.  Today, when I went to change cursors, my program froze (it's the free version).  I started at the earlier alphabetical one, Ascari, and the program worked fine.  Then I tried an older cursor, r-grille.  After switching to that cursor, and restarting the program it froze.  So, I switched cursors again manually by clicking the file in windows explorer.  I then removed r-grille and replaced Ascari.  It still froze.  I think both files are corrupt.  Since, I just downloaded Ascari yesterday, I don't think re-downloading it today will fix the problem.  I'll try though because it is a really nice cursor.  I'm wondering if maybe some of the older (pre-04) themes that someone alluded to are somehow causing problems with the newer ones.

January 19, 2011 12:20:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, I downloaded Ascari a second time and put it in the folder.  No freezing of the program.  Then, I downloaded storm.  Program froze.  Removed storm, still froze.  Removed Ascari, still froze.  I really don't think the problem is any particular cursor but I have no idea what the problem could be.  Any other ideas or do I simply have to go to the themes folder to apply the cursors?  Seems to defeat the purpose of having the program though.

January 19, 2011 12:30:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I read some of the more recent posts and followed the advice to set for compatibility with Vista SP2.  I did that and copied all three cursors (r-grille, Ascari, and Storm).  No freezing.  So, the problem does seem to be with the program itself and that it doesn't work with Win7 64 bit.

December 9, 2012 1:18:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

June 12, 2013 8:47:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yep...XP compatibility mode fixed it alright.  I was having the same problem and now it is running fine.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000797   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.