Cursor FX Plus control panel keeps freezing up.

By on December 25, 2009 12:32:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

wazza1958

Join Date 08/2004
+3

EVer since I had installed Windows 7 Home Premium from Windows Vista Home Premium, my Cursor FX Plus version 2.02 control panel keeps freezing up and I can't use it at all. I have to bring up Task Manager to close the program.

Is this version of Cursor FX compatible with Windows 7?

Does anyone else in similar situation have the same problem?

After all I did pay for the Cursor FX Plus software.

Please someone help.

65 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 18, 2010 5:41:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@ Support: If you can think of anything I can send (event logs,etc.) to help track this problem down please let me know.

TIA

One more thing. If there are cursors in the gallery that will wreck CFX to the point it is unusable they should be removed. Imho,SD should be  testing old content on new apps and taking steps to insure they are compatible. 

January 18, 2010 5:42:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I use Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and I have the problem intermittently. I don't have it all the time, which would seem NOT to be a problem with the cursors.

January 18, 2010 7:56:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I deleted all cursors and started over. CursorFX+ seems to be working again for now. Thanks for the suggestion Rosco_P.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 18, 2010 9:45:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting The1Warlock,
I deleted all cursors and started over. CursorFX+ seems to be working again for now. Thanks for the suggestion Rosco_P.

When you have the large numbers of cursors that I have, that seems a bit drastic, and time consuming, to me. There must be some other way....

January 18, 2010 10:29:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
@ Support: If you can think of anything I can send (event logs,etc.) to help track this problem down please let me know.

Download this (use IE, as FF doesn't handle it right for some reason...):

http://sd.stardock.com/mike/apps/enumerate_startup.bat

save the file, run it, and attach the log file (named startup.txt) it generates on the desktop to an email, and send it to support@stardock.com along with your system specs, and what you've tried already (i.e. Have you checked security software?  Have you verified/uninstalled/reinstalled?  etc...).  That should give us a good start to help you out.

Quoting Wizard1956,
One more thing. If there are cursors in the gallery that will wreck CFX to the point it is unusable they should be removed. Imho,SD should be  testing old content on new apps and taking steps to insure they are compatible.

Quoting RedneckDude,
When you have the large numbers of cursors that I have, that seems a bit drastic, and time consuming, to me. There must be some other way....

If my math is correct, there are approximately 2000 cursors available on WinCustomize.com, the oldest of which is from Dec 14, 2001.  There are 5 basic versions of Windows that Stardock generally supports (XP 32-bit, Vista 32/64-bit, 7 32/64-bit).  That means, in order to check out our back catalog, we would literally have to run 10,000 tests in order to figure out what works on what.  Ten thousand.  Just sayin'...

January 18, 2010 10:55:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If my math is correct, there are approximately 2000 cursors available on WinCustomize.com, the oldest of which is from Dec 14, 2001. There are 5 basic versions of Windows that Stardock generally supports (XP 32-bit, Vista 32/64-bit, 7 32/64-bit). That means, in order to check out our back catalog, we would literally have to run 10,000 tests in order to figure out what works on what. Ten thousand. Just sayin'...

Damn, that seems a bit drastic and time consuming to me, there must be another way....lol...    

January 19, 2010 1:38:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ok,Rosco_P, I'll do that just as soon as I get some time. I'll  try to look into it by Thursday,my only day off this week. Sorry to come off so bitchy. We lost 1/2 our workforce where I work last week and they made up for it by doubling my hours.Good for the paycheck but hard on the rest of me.

My main point was that all my cursors work great with CFX Free or Plus on Vista 32 bit,but only the free version works on Win7 64 bit without locking up. I'm sure we'll find out why with a bit of investigation.

January 19, 2010 6:47:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i wasnt shouting at the forum people. i was shouting at Stardock so they can fix this problem bcoz as i wrote in my reply to other people here in the forum, i had WB 6.5 and when i upgraded my o/s from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium, WB 6.5 wasnt compatible so Stardock created an upgrade to WB 7 for Windows 7 o/s, so i am merely shouting to Stardock to do the same for CFX Plus bcoz that might be the only problem, rather than moving all the themes to another area of hard disk and then reinstalling one by one. thats very hard to do if you have 100s of themes.

January 19, 2010 7:30:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Ok,Rosco_P, I'll do that just as soon as I get some time. I'll  try to look into it by Thursday,my only day off this week. Sorry to come off so bitchy. We lost 1/2 our workforce where I work last week and they made up for it by doubling my hours.Good for the paycheck but hard on the rest of me.

My main point was that all my cursors work great with CFX Free or Plus on Vista 32 bit,but only the free version works on Win7 64 bit without locking up. I'm sure we'll find out why with a bit of investigation.

Ouch, I am sorry to hear that.  And don't worry about me, I don't take too much personally, and I understand the frustration of computers not working.  We're cool, especially considering I think you were the first person to give me karma back when I started. 

Quoting wazza1958,
i wasnt shouting at the forum people. i was shouting at Stardock so they can fix this problem bcoz as i wrote in my reply to other people here in the forum, i had WB 6.5 and when i upgraded my o/s from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium, WB 6.5 wasnt compatible so Stardock created an upgrade to WB 7 for Windows 7 o/s, so i am merely shouting to Stardock to do the same for CFX Plus bcoz that might be the only problem, rather than moving all the themes to another area of hard disk and then reinstalling one by one. thats very hard to do if you have 100s of themes.

I'm not saying your problem isn't caused by some bug in CursorFX, all I'm saying is that the most likely problem is that you have a cursor that is causing issues.  If you move all your cursors to another location, and you're still having problems, then the issue probably isn't with a cursor, and we can go from there.  I'm just trying to use Occam's Razor to rule out the most likely possibility.  All it takes is that one cursor that wasn't designed for your OS, just one cursor whose data somehow got corrupted to cause issues.

January 19, 2010 7:38:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm just trying to use Occam's Razor to rule out the most likely possibility.

Can't you afford your own?

January 19, 2010 9:22:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Can't you afford your own?

If you saw my beard, you'd understand...

January 19, 2010 11:48:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We're cool, especially considering I think you were the first person to give me karma back when I started.

Ahhh, karma ho...ok...now we know how to get results....   

January 19, 2010 12:06:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

what has been seen cannot be unseen.

January 19, 2010 12:17:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Is it too late to request chocolate chip cookies?

January 19, 2010 12:17:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Karma, cash, we take Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover (No Diner's Club).

January 19, 2010 12:34:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Shirley,

Karma, cash, we take Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover (No Diner's Club).

Quoting RedneckDude,
reply 37

[/quote][quote who="Rosco_P" reply="39" id="2511746"]

January 21, 2010 6:45:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I had the same issue. I am running a dual boot sys with XP Pro SP3 32-bit and Win 7 Pro 32-bit. Control panel works fine in XP. Fixed it by changing to XP SP3 compatibilty mode. Go to Program Files\Stardock\CursorFX and right click CursorFX control panel.exe and select properties and select compatability tab. Also, I had 3 themes that somehow got changed to (theme).CursorEXScheme, possibly by Win 7 easy file transfer? Check your file extensions, in Users\Public Documents\Public\Stardock\CursorFX\Themes.

January 21, 2010 7:39:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I did the start_up.bat thing and got the answer 'eliminate cursors one at a time'. Bummer.

January 22, 2010 7:06:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting tammy228,
I had the same issue. I am running a dual boot sys with XP Pro SP3 32-bit and Win 7 Pro 32-bit. Control panel works fine in XP. Fixed it by changing to XP SP3 compatibilty mode. Go to Program Files\Stardock\CursorFX and right click CursorFX control panel.exe and select properties and select compatability tab. Also, I had 3 themes that somehow got changed to (theme).CursorEXScheme, possibly by Win 7 easy file transfer? Check your file extensions, in Users\Public Documents\Public\Stardock\CursorFX\Themes.

hi Tammy228. i did what you suggested and changed Properties to Vista SP2 and now CursorFX Plus is working fine, for now. i moved all the themes back to Public Documents etc folder as i had it the last time when it wasn't working and Rosco_P was suggesting to move all themes from Public Documents etc. and then one by one move them back to Public Documents. when i did move them from Public Documents etc CursorFX Plus control panel did work but putting back 100s of themes one by one is too time consuming. so by changing Properties of CursorFXPlus control panel back to Vista SP2 seems to have worked. so i still reckon that it has something to do with CursorFX Plus not being fully compatible with Windows 7 Home Premium.

anyway Tammy228, thanks. i hope it keeps on working in the future. or i hope Stardock will update CursorFX Plus to fully be compatible with Windows 7.

January 22, 2010 8:35:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Go to Program Files\Stardock\CursorFX and right click CursorFX control panel.exe and select properties and select compatability tab.

Hot Diggetty Dog! It worked. I set it for Vista SP2 compatibility and so far it's working great. Thank you tammy228 and wazza1958 for your input.

Yep. Maybe next time.

January 22, 2010 11:35:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
  Go to Program Files\Stardock\CursorFX and right click CursorFX control panel.exe and select properties and select compatability tab.

Hot Diggetty Dog! It worked. I set it for Vista SP2 compatibility and so far it's working great. Thank you tammy228 and wazza1958 for your input.

Yep. Maybe next time.

Hot Damn!  Shazaam!  Now I only have to double click when applying changes in the Settings.

Thanx for the pm, Wiz....mighty neighborly of you!

January 22, 2010 7:06:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting Wizard1956,
reply 45

Yep. Maybe next time.

Hot Damn!  Shazaam!  Now I only have to double click when applying changes in the Settings.

Thanx for the pm, Wiz....mighty neighborly of you!

Seemed to work for me too now I can build the new cursor I been redering!YAY!!!

You can see a short (to be updated tomorrow after new render)preview video HERE

January 22, 2010 7:11:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

BTW

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

February 4, 2010 10:09:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Cursor FX Plus is not working for me at all, I run Windows XP sp3 I cannot get it to change cursors for me. I have installed and uninstalled, booted and rebooted I'm almost in tears I put CursorXp on it runs fine but that's it. OH WELL can I get some support please, a suggestion or two would be nice. TY

February 10, 2010 5:57:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Cursor FX Plus is not working for me at all, I run Windows XP sp3 I cannot get it to change cursors for me.

Can you be more specific about what is happening?  Does anything change?  Does it revert to the Windows default cursor?  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001219   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.