Cursor FX Plus control panel keeps freezing up.

By on December 25, 2009 12:32:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

wazza1958

Join Date 08/2004
+3

EVer since I had installed Windows 7 Home Premium from Windows Vista Home Premium, my Cursor FX Plus version 2.02 control panel keeps freezing up and I can't use it at all. I have to bring up Task Manager to close the program.

Is this version of Cursor FX compatible with Windows 7?

Does anyone else in similar situation have the same problem?

After all I did pay for the Cursor FX Plus software.

Please someone help.

65 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 25, 2009 4:20:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You might fire off a ticket to Support@stardock.com, but remember it is the holidays here and help may be slow in coming.

In the mean time you might try to launch it in "win XP compatibility" mode for now to see if that aleviates the issue.

December 27, 2009 6:02:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

hi HG Eliminator. thnx for the reply. how does one launch Cursor FX Plus in "Win XP compatibility" mode? you do mean launching Cursor FX Plus in Win XP compatibility mode, not go back to Windows XP O/S?

December 27, 2009 6:15:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

HG I think W7 XP compatibility mode is in 7 Ultra only... I have the same issue that wazza1958 does, with Version 2.02.014. I verified installation and it is installed correctly.

CursorFX is XP, W7 and Vista Compatible per the ad on SD...so XP Compatibility Mode isn't needed.

Quoting the ad:

System Requirements
●Windows7/Windows XP/Vista
●100MB free drive space
●512MB RAM
●Impulse must be installed in order to download and update software.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 27, 2009 8:28:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have the same issue that wazza1958 does, with Version 2.02.014. I verified installation and it is installed correctly.

Make that 3!My laptop crashed about 3 weeks ago just finally got a new one installed CFX like always and 30 sec later the cursor froze.Restarted PC It froze before I could even open CFX panel!

I ALT TABBBED my wait to default and rebooted!

Win 7 64bit home premium

Thanks in advance!

AV

December 27, 2009 8:35:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not sure it supports x64, Harley. The alpha is 32 bit... don't know if that might be the problem? Anyway, I emailed SD support. If you join in the emailing they might devote more help on the issue...in fact, I would hope everyone with a problem with CursorFX and W7 post here.

Maybe mention the thread's url in your email.

*edit: Do CursorXP themes cause problems in CursorFX?

December 27, 2009 9:02:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have Windows 7 Ultimate on a x64, and I have no problems with Cursor FX

December 28, 2009 12:39:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am having the exact same problem after upgrading to Windows 7.  I have emailed Stardock Support.  Hopefully someone will tell us how to fix our problem soon!

January 11, 2010 10:31:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

bUMp

The free version works great but I have the same problem with Plus which I got for Christmas. 

January 11, 2010 11:59:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Win 7 32....no probs here.  

January 11, 2010 12:03:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've deleted all my cursorxp's and it's behaving better, though still not perfect... requires double clicking to apply and to changes size, etc.

January 11, 2010 12:49:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Strange....no updates and I did add one new cursor. Now mine is locking up too....you guys jinxed me!

I haven't updated or anything, I don't get it.

January 11, 2010 12:55:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Might be an SD software conflict, Jim...updating other software might have caused a prob with CursorFX.

CursorFX needs some tough love, methinks.

January 11, 2010 1:33:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just deleted the last cursor I downloaded and all is well again....so far....

January 12, 2010 5:17:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've actually seen a lot of people having issues with CursorFX in Win7, where a cursor they downloaded gums up the works.  If you're having issues, try removing or moving the themes from the following location:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\CursorFX\Themes

Once you do this, try running CursorFX again.  If this works, add the themes back one by one, closing and relaunching CursorFX each time to see which is the offending theme.  If you find one causes the app to crash again, delete it.  If you'd like, you can then try redownloading the theme again.

If all else fails, give support@stardock.com a shout.

January 12, 2010 5:59:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have 140 cursors installed, none recently.They all work/still work on my 32bit Vista setup.

A brief history:

I've used CFX (free) for over a year.Initially I had trouble with it freezing up and to make a long story short,ended up re-installing it 13+ times until the release of v2.01.Prior to that it would work fine but eventually it would lock up and I'd reinstall it. All has been well up to this point.

Enter RedneckDude,who bought me CFX Plus for Christmas.   I uninstalled the free version and installed Plus on Vista Ultimate 32 bit.(Dual boot) Cool,effects,resizing/recoloring and sounds.I'm liking it! No such luck installing it on Win7 64 bit.     The control panel freezes up before a cursor can be selected. Double clicking the theme file still changes the cursor but no other settings are possible,making "Plus" a rather inaccurate description. I've tried 4-5 times to reinstall it and settled on the free version until this is fixed.

I simply can't see how I can blame anything but the CFX program,not the cursors themselves. I already avoid pre-2004 cursor themes by experience and haven't had to reinstall the free version in a long time. What I have works,or did before the attempted upgrade to CFX Plus v.2.02 on a 64 bit OS

Vista is my primary OS so for now I am enjoying my gift.(thanks again RND)

January 18, 2010 8:12:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi Guys,

thanks for all your replies, albeit different information from all of you. i did get a suggestion from Stardock Support which was written similar to Rosco_P above here who seems to be a Stardock Support person. they suggested to move all themes to another folder and then move each theme into CursorFX Plus back again one by one. but i have 100s of themes so that to me is not really practical but i have moved the themes folder to another area of my hard-disk and i install alphabetically rather than one by one so now it sorts of works by not freezing the CFX Plus Control Panel but occasionally the chosen theme on the cursor goes back to default Windows cursor and then goes back to the cursor theme i had chosen. so i definitely believe that Stardock is the problem. maybe some of the older cursors which were not compatible with Windows 7 might be the problem with the freezing. but only Stardock would know the answer to this dilemma. MAYBE THEY SHOULD UPDATE CURSORFX PLUS TO BE COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 7 LIKE THEY DID WITH WINDOWBLINDS 6.5 TO 7.

Cheers.

Warren

January 18, 2010 8:53:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No need to shout, wazza1958.

Seems like everyone is being quite civil in the thread...offering ideas to help. I understand you're frustrated as I had the problem myself, and also think the problem might be in CFX+...but it could also be between CFX+ and some other piece of software...

Just say. "I blame Rosco!". You'll feel better almost immediately...and it's fun!

January 18, 2010 1:55:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just Installed Win7 Ultimate 64. Cursor FX isn't locking up my system but it is acting wierd. The ony way I can get it to start is to open it in the control pannel. ( where it is listed as cursor FX 32 bit). On vista 32 bit you had to open it as a administrator. I'm finding that you have to do that on a lot of programs in win764.  Also had to disable WindowBlinds in several programs to make them work right.

January 18, 2010 2:29:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have Vista Premium and CursorFX+ has been locking up for awhile now. Will try removing cursors and starting over but I believe there is a problem with CursorFX+ that needs to be addressed by Stardock, or to say that it may not be compatible with all cursors on the site!

January 18, 2010 3:19:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Fixed my problem Thanks

January 18, 2010 3:43:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This might help:

I have Win Se7en Ultimate 32 bit and I changed my DPI to 118% from the Default 100% and CFX+ WB skin and Wallpapers and DS wallpaper sections all messed up and other stuff non-Stardock

CFX + interface would Crash but could load a FX or XP theme but the other settings I could not use. And the cursor would be buggy till I reboot but would still have issues with everything else.

on WB the skin and wallpaper sections I could not slid the slider all the way to the right to see the last 4 to 6 skins or wallpapers and in the wallpaper section every WP except the first 2 to 3 I could not check or uncheck well not on  the WP I would want Example if I wanted let’s say the 6th WP I would have to click on the 8th to the 9th to apply the 6th and it would get worse as I went to the right EX: let’s say I wanted to apply the 60th WP I then would have to click on like the 69th to the 73rd WP to apply the 60th and could not apply any of the last 4 to 6 WP do to I could not slid the slider over far enough

DS was the same as WB's WP section

so to make this long reply short IF you changed your DPI set from the Default setting of 100%

CFX + on Win 7 would mess with stuff

I Put it back to 100% and now all works right

Hope this might help you or others out

January 18, 2010 5:19:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

When I suggested moving the cursors and adding them back one by one, it was to try to figure out if it was CursorFX that was the problem or not.  If you follow the directions I mentioned, and there is a particular cursor that, when added, causes CursorFX to crash, then it very well could be the cursor itself that is not compatible with your OS, not necessarily the program.  It could also be that the cursor file could have gotten corrupted somehow, and may need to be redownloaded.

I suggested it, not because it's 100% guarenteed to be the answer to your problem, but it's something that has fixed things for a lot of people.  So if it doesn't work, send an email to support@stardock.com (be detailed about the problem, and if you tried the above, mention that, too), and we can then offer you a more... personal level of support.

Oh, and thanks, Doc, you're a peach. 

January 18, 2010 5:25:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

On vista 32 bit you had to open it as a administrator. I'm finding that you have to do that on a lot of programs in win764.

More info: On my rig I am the administrator and user account control. If it gets to the point I have to have UAC on to run any SD software,I'll no longer use that software. Sorry but I don't need a babysitter in,on or for my computer.

I have UAC off on both Vista 32 bit and Win7 64. Avast A/V and Windows Defender is all I use for active security and Malwarebytes for occasional scans. I keep start-ups and running proccesses in check and OD Plus,CFX and WB's are three of them and all work just fine on Vista. I am beginning to feel I made a major mistake going with 64 bit. If and when I decide to use Win 7 as a primary OS I may switch back to 32 bit. I can only hope CFX is in a usable state by then.

I have very few installed programs on Win7 (about 20) so I doubt it's a conflict. I have the same cursor themes on both,copied over from Vista. From what I've read so far,Windows 7 64 bit causes more trouble than any performance gain I may have gotten.

You XP converts may be happy with it,but I'll take Vista 32 bit any day.

I had this same lock-up problem on Vista 32 over and over and over again on an almost monthly basis until v.2.01 was released but that was the free version so I expected no support. This is a paid version so it would be great if I could actually use it on both OS's 

Windows 8 going 128 bit.......yeah,right. I can see that train wreck coming from miles away.

January 18, 2010 5:38:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well i can tell you, I've had the same problem with CursorFX free version on windows 7 64bit. I deleted everything out of C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\CursorFX\Themes and started putting them in one by one (only installing the ones i actually used) and the program is working fine now. Apparently it didn't like something that was installed.

January 18, 2010 5:40:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wizard, sorry to hear you have so much problems with Win7 64 bit. 

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit which was done as an upgrade from Vista Home Premium 64 bit and don't see the problems that you are having.  I think this hightlights that even with running similar sets ups there can alwasy be something running  on a particular computer that can and will screw things up. 

For security I'm running Norton 360, and nothing else.  I also am the only person on the computer with only one account.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001672   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.