Enhancement

Minimize

By on November 16, 2009 12:29:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

jerfy

Join Date 11/2009

I had an idea for enhancement...why not make it so you can minimize the fence. For example mimimize to just show the title bar on the desktop. Would be most cool!

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 16, 2009 12:38:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I like that idea jerfy.

November 16, 2009 1:11:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I like the idea. You'd get motr area for fences that way, and if it's coupled with the ability to 'nudge' another fence aside when it's maximized, I think it'd be a winner. 

November 16, 2009 1:31:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

someone else that had an idea for ... enhancement...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 16, 2009 1:33:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

anyone remember progman.exe?

November 16, 2009 1:52:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sort of like the WindowBlinds rollrup, right?

November 19, 2009 1:34:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Totally Philly

It would allow you to make more room for other fences... So how do we get them to do it I wonder?

November 29, 2009 10:07:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"... minimize the fence. ... to just show the title bar on the desktop...."

At which point you've got yourself an ObjectDock Plus tabbed dock.

Even Fences need boundaries (pun intended). There are many enhancement possibilities which would simply morph Fences into something else entirely. I've seen suggestions such as WindowsBlinds-like roll-ups, displaying folder contents and tabbed fences, all of which serve to blur the Fences distinctive. The point of Fences is not to manage icons (that's what ObjectDock, ObjectBar, etc. are for) but to organize your desktop.

Technically, your desktop is just a folder in your home directory, which can contain anything any other folder can. Currently, all Fences does is organize the arrangement of your desktop icons, nothing more, really than what you could, somewhat drudgingly, do by hand. What you're asking for would require Fences to begin replacing Desktop functionality. Doable, of course, but it begins to miss the point of Fences.

Nathanael

November 29, 2009 10:20:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,
someone else that had an idea for ... enhancement...

That have a ...'roll up' .... too?

September 29, 2013 12:49:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'd like to bump, and expand upon this idea  (its actually what i logged in to suggest, just thought id see if it was requested before hand)

"The point of Fences is not to manage icons (that's what ObjectDock, ObjectBar, etc. are for) but to organize your desktop."

Though this feature is the equivalent of sweeping dirt under the rug, it would really help improve the look of the desktop while still retaining quick access to all the files on the desktop.

Ideally:

- the title bar would only be slightly longer than the title (Up to the length of the main area ) This way if the user wants the title bar to always match the size of the fence they could add a bunch of spaces...

- the body should remain on screen regardless of the title position (this way the user could put the title in the very corner, and the body would remain fully on screen but appear as if the title was aligned right/left or below the body)

- The title would be 30-50% invisible when the mouse isn't hovering over it (to further reduce the visual impact of fences)

- the body would be 100% hidden/inactive until its title has been hovered over

- the title could be 100% visible when the mouse is hovering over it (not necessary but it would help to create a distinction between hovered and un-hovered states)

- The body would become visible/active when the title is hovered over

- the title could increase in height by 1-3 pixels when hovered over, until the body hides again (to help create a visual disconnect between the body and other titles that are placed in a row with the active title)

- the body could be 30-70% visible after being activated

- The body would remain visible/active until the mouse leaves both the body and the title area.

- holding control? while clicking the title would lock the body open

Heres a link to a mock-up

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w347/Bloody_Turds/NewBitmapImage22_zps6de35d2a.jpg

Note: this mockup was actually made with/for nimi-places which is a similar program to yours, and what I currently use

however this feature if Implemented would likely get me to switch, as the maker(s) seem unwilling to implement it themselves.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0003500   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.