DesktopX 4 Beta Bug reports

By on November 12, 2009 5:15:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ZubaZ

Join Date 11/2001
+840

Another Desktopx 4 beta has been released.  The standard and the professional version have both gotten the same updates   This build focuses the feedback that has been recieved after the initial release last week.

Post anything that looks odd.  Make sure to give us system information like your OS (including 32 or 64 bit), and if it's hard to explain (or even if it isn't) a screenshot.

Locked Post 284 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 12, 2009 5:39:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just tried it with Windows 7 64 bit. It wouldn't run, saying that ODzip.dll was missing. I looked in Program files x86/Stardock/DesktopX and it IS there. Ditto for Program Filesx86/Common files/Stardock.I rolled back to 3.5 for now. Is it looking in the wrong Program files for this dll?

November 12, 2009 5:54:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think you hit on it, Wiz. I wonder if it goes looking for x86 configs?

November 12, 2009 5:57:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows 7 Ultimate x64. DXPro

1.First thing I did was import the My Computer object. It works, however.. when I look at the properties of it the location reads My Documents. My Computer is not even in the list. So I tried creating one from scratch. No luck. My Computer is not listed but My Documents is listed two times. Neither of which will open My Computer. Oddly enough the included object works fine.

When trying to create one from scratch if I try to browse to the folder location of My Computer the object will open to c:\progra~2\stardock\desktopX.

2. Created a Performance Meter object for Memory Usage. Doesn't work. Shows 100% all the time. Even the object for performance meters included will show mem usage at 100%. I would REALLY like to see this fixed as that was one valuable tool way back when it used to work.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 12, 2009 6:00:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I downloaded on Win 7 64 bit and it seems to be working.

Where did all the Objects, Widgets and Themes go that i had previously download?  They aren't being shown.

On the front of DesktopX Builder 4.0 there is no option to 'Impor a Widget' just has 'Import an Object"

November 12, 2009 6:07:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Where did all the Objects, Widgets and Themes go that i had previously download?

Philly,they have to be moved from the old location to the new folder location in Public Documents.

I'll try to reinstall and reboot and see if I get the same error I got before.

EDIT. Same error as before "ODZip.dll not found in the DesktopX directory or the Stardock common files directory."

November 12, 2009 6:10:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Philly,they have to be moved from the old location to the new folder location in Public Documents.

What!  Where does it tell you that?  Oh Zubaz, that can't correct, is it?

November 12, 2009 6:15:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What! Where does it tell you that?

See this post. LINK

and I was SO hoping the program would move the files as opposed to doing it manually.

November 12, 2009 6:24:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, so far I haven't noticed any difference, DX will STILL not load at boot up. It STILL crashes when I switch to DX Builder Mode. And when I do start it (from the start menu), it STILL won't START in Builder Mode, so I have to switch to builder mode from the right click menu, which crashes DX.  *sigh............

So, what HAS changed?

November 12, 2009 6:26:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No offense Wizard, I know you are trying to help and I appreciate that, but why would someone go to a thread for DX Pro if they don't have it.  Just a little confusing.

November 12, 2009 6:28:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So, what HAS changed?

It got a new version number.    (jk)

November 12, 2009 6:30:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
No offense Wizard, I know you are trying to help and I appreciate that, but why would someone go to a thread for DX Pro if they don't have it.  Just a little confusing.

Because the change applies to DX as a whole. Look in Public Documents...see the folders that didn't used to be there?

Btw,no offense taken,I was wrong once....I think it was sometime  back in 1971 .

November 12, 2009 6:48:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay so I found the old stuff copied it to the new folders but when you open Desktopx 4 it still only shows you can import objects.  I click thet selection and it looks like it has both object and widgets there.  Is that how it is supposed to be?

Maybe I need to reboot since I move that stuff.

November 12, 2009 6:53:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Btw,no offense taken,I was wrong once....I think it was sometime back in 1971.

That would have made you 15. No, you couldn't have been wrong...all 15 year olds are know it alls.

November 12, 2009 7:01:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, rebooted but no change to DesktipX 4 screen when you open it, still only show import of objects.

November 12, 2009 7:52:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
Okay, rebooted but no change to DesktipX 4 screen when you open it, still only show import of objects.
Correct, but there seems to be widgets mixed with those objects, at least for me. Vista Home Prem. 32 bit

My problem is that on windows 7, I have DX installed. Ok, Impulse shows DX as not installed. When I try to install it, I get the error telling me it's not compatible with my system.  Aarrrghhh!!!

November 12, 2009 8:07:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Correct, but there seems to be widgets mixed with those objects, at least for me.

Yup, especially since I copied all the old stuff into the new folders.

November 12, 2009 9:52:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK, I got it to install DesktopX 4, but it's not pro. Now it tells me there is an update for DX Pro, but the error again.

November 12, 2009 10:35:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
OK, I got it to install DesktopX 4, but it's not pro. Now it tells me there is an update for DX Pro, but the error again.

Did you try clicking on "Install all updates" under the help icon?

November 12, 2009 10:43:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, I did. Installs Pro, but it is now borked. I verify installation for DX 4 and it says it's not installed correctly. It will go back and forth like that forever. At least DX 4 works. I can't be without DX. 

November 12, 2009 10:50:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

EDIT. Same error as before "ODZip.dll not found in the DesktopX directory or the Stardock common files directory."

Same on XP SP3

November 13, 2009 4:55:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I tried to load Flicker Weather and several other of Jim's weather widigits, I get a warning that says " the package you are loading contains objects whose object ID is already used in the curant theme (ID=Weather_Images). This could cause some issues related to the movement and the parent/children relations. Do you still want to load it? Be sure at least that you fix the objects IDs."

When I double click a widgit I get the ODZip.dll not found error also. Running XP SP3

November 13, 2009 5:09:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"ODZip.dll not found in the DesktopX directory or the Stardock common files directory."

Getting this now as well. Some widgets work but most cause this prompt.

November 13, 2009 7:11:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Failure again.   I'm still using dx 3.50...

November 13, 2009 7:53:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit, DX Pro.

I'm not having any of the problems mentioned above. Except Impulse does show both DX Pro and DX (regular), and that they are both installed.

Coupla things, for now:

-Using the Welcome screen, Load Desktop/Objects goes to the old locations, whereas the r-click menu/import goes to the new locations. Seems inconsistent.

-Switching to client produces the 'DX didn't exit properly' dialog, and then both Builder AND client run side by side (both icons in my systray.)

-R-clicking in explorer windows (or on an item in the folder tree) puts the DX options in the context menus...I thought it was just for r-clicking on the desktop. I don't really need DX options in an explorer window.

-And now Toggle Object Palette no longer works; it only shows up if I restart builder.

November 13, 2009 8:10:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think after reviewing all this, that I'll wait before updating.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.