icons lost in object dock

By on November 11, 2009 2:40:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

swampthing

Join Date 04/2002
+3

having problem with icon packer beta ver. 4.98[b].028. Updated to this version when released and lost icons in object dock plus ver. 190 Plus Build 535u when using flyout menus. Not all icons are lost. system icons are fine, just program icons are generic(blank). windows 7 ultimate 64 lastest build all updates applied. Strangely enough, when I first install this program on W7, the version number was 5.01 and worked fine.

please advise

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 13, 2009 11:58:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It may be possible the icon images those icons on your dock are pointing to no longer exist. Try right clicking them, and setting the properties. Do you see the proper icon image there?

Mike

November 19, 2009 4:33:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Solution is to remove registry key "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\iconhandler"

I don’t know why this key is created when you install IconPackager, the program does not handle .exe files. The only reason to have this entry is when a .exe does not have an icon associated in the .exe, creating a generic .exe icon. But it changes the default icon that other programs read, such as Object Dock. Removing this entry reverts the registry to a default of "%1" which is the icon that is normally associated with any program that is installed. A generic .exe icon is not really needed.

All system tray icons also revered to the defaults (no generic blank icons).

As a side note, you can revert any extension association this way, to find the file association, go to registry "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES\ROOT" find the extension you want to revert and go to the registry entry named under default to change the icon handler. Not all extensions have icon handlers or defaults. if no default entry is present, you can make the extension associate with any icon you wish by creating the sub key "DefaultIcon" and a "(Default)" string value pointing to whatever icon you wish. You can use relative or full paths in string.

This may be resolved also, by changing the "DropHandler" key entry for exefile associations. For this extension, it would make more sense to add the IconPackager entry into the "DropHandler" Key. (info for the programmers)

February 3, 2010 8:55:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WOW DUDESKI YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!  this has been annoying me for so long now, i've posted about this in the past several times and all i heard from stardock was it's because it doesn't support x64, which is true it says 32bit only.  either way thanks alot.

this really should be a sticky

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 7, 2010 5:57:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I can confirm that the above method works for .exe files (which is all I've tried.)

For non-Windows icons (Java, DevC++, etc.) re-installing the application will restore the default icons (uninstall first to clear the registry entries for them).

March 9, 2010 4:15:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@swampthing

Thank you. I was going nuts wondering why the icons disappeared. Stardock should have better quality control on their products (or at least their uninstallers)

March 13, 2010 5:55:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

To add: swampthing's method works for any file extension type not displaying properly.  Removing the "IconHandler" string will restore the default icon in most cases. (I haven't hit any snags yet, but something's bound to come up eventually)

February 5, 2012 1:16:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting swampthing,
Solution is to remove registry key "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\iconhandler"

I do know how to do this and that route does not exist for me, i used Revo Uninstaller Pro and it deletes even registry items from programs, so when i uninstalled and had no icons i am just mad. do you know any OTHER working fixes to this problem?

February 5, 2012 4:17:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

First of all what do you mean you have no icons?  There's none appearing on the desktop at all?  Some are missing?

Did you use IconPackger to reset the windows default icons prior to de-installing it?

February 6, 2012 9:50:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Are there no icons, or blank icons?  Are the icons of the files gone, or the files themselves?  Screenshots would probably be a great help in this.

September 12, 2013 8:39:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you. I've been looking to solve this all night.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.