Changing of Nicknames

By on September 22, 2009 2:31:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ice27828

Join Date 12/2008
+33

I have recently recieved an email telling me to change my nick because stardock is grouping all of their names together...

Is this true?

33 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 22, 2009 2:36:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
September 22, 2009 3:25:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Boo...

September 22, 2009 4:48:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are you guys crazy!!!????

Ain't no way!!!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 22, 2009 5:09:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm not included (yet) but it seems to me that people who have PAID to support WinCustomize by purchasing subs are getting a pretty crappy deal. The more they have contributed,the more collateral damage there is.Your gallery,karma points and download count get trashed with a nick change. 

If the nick was in use by someone,it should have never been allowed to be used multiple times in the first place.  Everyone knows each other by their nick. Now Stardock wants to dictate what that name will be? Somebody needs to get their head checked. Let me guess,this was dreamed up by the marketing department.

September 22, 2009 5:17:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wizard, lets try and figure this out. 

Stardock should be able to verify whether a nickname selection is currently in use.  It shouldn't matter if a person has a WC Personal Page set up or not.  Jim's case I think is an example of something gone very wrong.  There's a rat in the henhouse or something has happend to the code associated with nickname verification.

Stardock wouldn't have any reason to dictate nicknames.

September 22, 2009 5:34:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock wouldn't have any reason to dictate nicknames.

That may be true, but I have 2 emails in my inbox that tell me if I don't change it in 3 days, they will "generate" one for me.

I could live with this, but not be happy about it, IF they would transfer my gallery and counts and stats with the new nick. I am tired of reuploading my entire gallery!

I have spent 5 years at this, getting to the point I'm at now, and this is totally out there!! And I checked and can't find another RedneckDude at WC.

I can't believe this is happening....it's friggin absurd!!!!

September 22, 2009 5:55:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That may be true, but I have 2 emails in my inbox that tell me if I don't change it in 3 days, they will "generate" one for me.

Methinks there's a glitch in the system.

September 22, 2009 6:11:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Methinks there's a glitch in the system.
I thought so too, but aparently the email mentions the merging of databases. There must be quite a few people who got an email on this.

If Jim's nick was taken at another Stardock site by someone, and they are merging them, there would be a conflict.

What I dont get, is that Jim is a paying customer, subscriber, and long time contributer to this site and the community. Someone like this should not be forced to change their nick, just because someone else has it and that other person had it first and may only be posting in forums....or not even active at all.

It should be examined on a case by case basis, with the preference going to the paying customer and subscriber.

September 22, 2009 6:13:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's not a glitch. I think the Subscription Drive didn't do so well, so they handed the site over to marketing. This means all the Stardock owned sites are combining, probably. I could care less about the "other" sites. I am a PAID WC subscriber and there is NO other RedneckDude on WC. So I should not have to change my nick.

Remember this?   The End of Wincustomize

September 22, 2009 6:17:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Xiandi has it down!!  Thanks, Xiandi!

September 22, 2009 6:19:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Before we get carried away here, we don't even know all the ins and outs as to why this is happening and if there is any plan to help those skinners affected in transferring thier skins library. 

It would be nice to read something about this from Stardock so we don't have to second guess what's going on.

September 22, 2009 6:25:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm so upset,I may clear out my entire gallery. That's right,I just might take my one wallpaper and go home.

This so unfair to all the great members who make up WinCustomize!

September 22, 2009 6:28:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Before we get carried away here, we don't even know all the ins and outs as to why this is happening and if there is any plan to help those skinners affected in transferring thier skins library.

Actually, I don't really give a rat's ass WHY it's happening. To me, it just seems ludicrous that I should have to change nicks, AGAIN, because the forums are changing.

And the 2 emails I have don't give much explanation. It pretty much says do it, or we'll do it for you in 3 days!

September 22, 2009 6:39:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Who is going to fix the mess that will be created when links to skins don't work anymore? If my name changes, then every link to my work from Philly's suites won't work anymore. Philly gonna have to fix those? The same applies to all the links to and from people who've had to do this. Who is going to fix this?

September 22, 2009 7:15:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I thought so too, but aparently the email mentions the merging of databases. There must be quite a few people who got an email on this.

If Jim's nick was taken at another Stardock site by someone, and they are merging them, there would be a conflict.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's in advance of the site upgrade...there've been all kinds of confusing stuff going on lately. Hopefully, someone can clear up what's going on and make this process smoother for everyone....3 days doesn't sound fair.

I'm so upset,I may clear out my entire gallery. That's right,I just might take my one wallpaper and go home.

This so unfair to all the great members who make up WinCustomize!

Wiz, did you get one too?

September 22, 2009 7:33:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wiz, did you get one too?

No, he's pissed in support of everyone else. He has a wall in his gallery.One.

September 22, 2009 7:47:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Everyone be cool.  We'll get it sorted in the morning (Stardock time)

September 22, 2009 8:14:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When I read about this earlier, I rushed home and checked my email...thank goodness I didn't get one.

I remembered what Jim went through recently...not sure I could do it.

Jim, I hope this works out for you... I feel certain that it will.

September 22, 2009 10:32:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Relax. Nobody do anything. Don't change any nicks. Wait until the morning. Don't pull the plug on granny just yet.

September 22, 2009 10:44:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

September 22, 2009 11:14:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Deja vu

September 22, 2009 11:17:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

....all over again.

Guess I'll change mine to DrKevorkian. Been dyin' to do that. 

September 23, 2009 1:04:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
....all over again.

Guess I'll change mine to DrKevorkian. Been dyin' to do that. 

September 23, 2009 2:30:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Maybe they'll pick one that we will still know is you...

RubyNapedHick

September 23, 2009 2:36:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Bichur,

Maybe they'll pick one that we will still know is you...

RubyNapedHick

CrimsonCollaredCousin?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000343   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.