Using Suites?

Nothing works!

By on July 19, 2009 5:40:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

topofthelot

Join Date 01/2009

I have bought and installed almost all the Stardock programs and I am running Impulse. I am trying to use Theme Manager to apply suites that I have downloaded. They appear along the bottom of Theme Manager but whatever suite I download not one will apply. When the suite is installed the size is around 2500kb yet a full suite I have that runs is almost 20,000kb! Help somebody please or I have wasted my money on these Stardock programs.

24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 19, 2009 6:34:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When you use Theme Manager to apply a suite make sure you click on settings and select I want to see advanced options when appliing suites.  What are the suites that are giving you problems?

July 20, 2009 3:50:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I already had the advanced options ticked, one of the suites is yours, 'Copper Carbon Fibre'. When I click 'Apply Theme' Theme Manager says 'Applying Theme' but nothing happens.

July 20, 2009 3:55:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting topofthelot,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I already had the advanced options ticked, one of the suites is yours, 'Copper Carbon Fibre'. When I click 'Apply Theme' Theme Manager says 'Applying Theme' but nothing happens.

Vista or XP? I have Vista and Theme Manager doesn't work for shit on Vista. XP is fine, last I checked.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 20, 2009 4:21:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Vista or XP? I have Vista and Theme Manager doesn't work for shit on Vista. XP is fine, last I checked.

Yep, Vista, although it did work prior to major problems last weekend, now cured.

July 28, 2009 3:58:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It doesn't look like 'philly0381' is going to reply to this thread so if anyone else can help I would appreciate it.

Incidentally, the suites that won't install, as when trying the download dialogue does nothing, are all 'philly0381' suites!! Some do work and theme manager does download the files.

July 28, 2009 4:48:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry, life got in the way and have been a little busy.  There was supposed to an update coming out for Theme Manager but haven't seen it yet.

I am able to run the suites on my XP and Vista system.  I will go back and test the links for each suite to make sure that they did not get broken.  I'm just a user of the provided software, not a skinner.  I'm sorry that the suites are not working for you. 

If I find out anything I will post it here.

July 28, 2009 8:11:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's possible that the updating going on for Win 7 compatiblility may have caused some problems not sure.  Going to ask Zubaz tomorrow.

July 29, 2009 1:03:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

topofthelot, I checked with Stardock today and they would like you to email support@stardock.com and explain the problem you are having.  Unfortunately Theme Manager is behind Win 7 compatiblility efforts waiting to be updated.

I think Theme Manage is and can be a great problem.

July 29, 2009 1:39:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay I have done some checking on Theme Manager and the Suites function and here is what I found.  They do work on XP Home 32 bit and Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Before trying to apply a Theme Manager Suite click on setting and make sure that you select 'I want to see advance option when applying suites'.  Then select a Suite to apply, click on the skins you want to apply keeping in mind XP vs Vista.  Then apply the suite/skins.

Now this is where some of you may see a problem, the wallpaper may apply but nothing else.  If there is a CursorFX skin go to the CursorFX program and see if it download.  What I have found is that the skins are downloading but not applying.  (This is where an update is needed).

I know that Theme Manager is supposed to download and apply the suite, but folks it ain't working.  I'm sorry for that, but out of my control.  I think if you check the skins included in the suite they will have been downloaded and it will take a few extra step to get them applied.

I've been holding off on doing new Suites waiting for the much anticipated update to the Stardock programs.   Can't wait, I need to get back to doing suites.

I hope this helps those of you that are having problems.

August 12, 2011 12:39:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just thought I would bump this thread as I need help in downloading and applying suites. I have Windows 7 HP 64 bit and have bought, downloaded and installed Object Desktop and Object Dock Plus and I want to download and install some of the suites available. Do I have to download and install each of the individual components for each suite (such as the WindowBlinds, DesktopX, ObjectDock etc) or can you just get one suite file like what is included with Theme Manager?

Sorry I am a newb and have only used DeskScapes before now. 

August 12, 2011 12:52:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The whole idea behind Theme Manager was to be able to give the user a one button or click download and apply of a Suite.  Unfortunately Theme Manager needs updates to correct some some problems.  When you download a Suite and then open Theme Manager and select it to apply you should see a window open up with a list of skins that are included in the suite file.  You then can select which skins you want to download/apply. 

Not all skins for a suite will be in the suite file, for those that are not you can go back to the suite download page and click on the links provided in the description.

I hope the above information helps you. 

August 12, 2011 1:02:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Heck, do what I do and just download what ya want individually.

August 12, 2011 1:12:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WOM,
Heck, do what I do and just download what ya want individually.
Exactly! WOM is Da Man!!  He has it right. Sorry Philly...

August 12, 2011 2:03:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Quoting WOM, reply 12Heck, do what I do and just download what ya want individually.
Exactly! WOM is Da Man!!  He has it right. Sorry Philly...

Well then, I sure am wasting my time, hmmmm. 

August 12, 2011 2:11:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Philly, you're not wasting your time. What you do works, it's the Theme Manager software that doesn't work correctly....not at all your fault.

Compiling matching skins for users to download is cool. It's just that TM doesn't correctly apply all the skins. Your suites still download all the necessary skins. It beats downloading all the skins seperately.

August 12, 2011 2:14:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 12, 2011 2:22:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

^^^^^ I agree with the Rednecked One.^^^^^

August 12, 2011 2:27:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the help Philly, unfortunately I don't seem to be able to even download the suite file. When I click on the download link it is for a dream file for DeskScapes. I'll do what the others have suggested and download the individual files. I've noticed that some files such as Object Dock files come as zip files. When I extract these files where do I put them? Presumably OD and other programs have their own directory on the C: drive but do the files go in a skins folder or elsewhere?

Thanks again for the help. 

August 12, 2011 2:39:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What is the name of the Suite AfxTwn or post a link.

August 12, 2011 2:47:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Which suite is giving you the trouble?

OD backgrounds can go in Public Documents in the OD Library. If it is a tabbed background or a running indicator, they should go in C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\ObjectDockPlus2 or  the custom plus/minus images and RI's won't show up.

As for me, I put everything in Program Files as I'm the only user of this PC and got rid of the Stardock folder in Documents. (It seems everybody wants to put a folder there, not just SD.)

August 12, 2011 3:03:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I'm having trouble with nearly all the suites: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/suites

For example if I click on the download link to Fabrikk http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/suites/796/ then it just downloads a dream file with the same name. It does this on every single thing I try to download...

EDIT: It turns out it was a problem that was only occurring when using the Opera browser. I've just tried again with IE and I can download the suite files as normal now. I just applied the Fabrikk suite using Theme Manager with no problems at all.

I think Opera was associating all Win Customize files (except zipped or WindowBlinds files)  with DeskScapes automatically and so it was only giving me the option of download the animated wallpapers. Very strange.

Thanks for your help everyone. 

August 12, 2011 3:19:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I dl'd Fabrik. I see no DeskScapes in the list. I do see CFX, a wall, DX theme and WB in the list as not downloaded, which is NOT correct except for the wall. To borrow a phrase from Phoon, TM is flakier than Grandma's biscuits.

FYI: TM should prompt you to install the software for anything in the suite if the software isn't installed and you try to apply it.

EDIT: I see you have a handle on it, that's great. Btw, once you load a suite, all components should show up in their respective UI's and can be applied separately.

August 12, 2011 3:45:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Glad to see you found what the problem was AfxTwn. 

In most cases someone will respond from the community if we think we can help.

August 12, 2011 3:51:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Wizard. I've tried out a few different suites and generally TM seems to apply the WB, DX and sometimes the icons. Generally I go through the checklist of the suite and check each program individually to see what's been downloaded/applied and then apply any missing bits myself.

I'm a bit disappointed that TM hasn't been updated to fix these issues seeing as people have been complaining about them for some time. I've spent quite a bit of money today on getting all the individual component programs to completely change my desktop's look and feel so I'd expect it all to work properly.

Now I just need to figure out what items/software I use most often to put into my fences and docks etc. I can pretty much do away with the standards windows taskbar seeing as ObjectDock does the same thing and hides itself away nicely. I've applied the AutoBox suite/theme as this works great with my random DeskScapes animations and really helps to open up the desktop.

I have to say Fences is a Godsend! Now I can hide away all my desktop shortcuts/icons I was too scared to delete and get at them again with a double click. Stardock make some pretty cool products. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001078   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.