Connecting Laptop to TV

HDMI to Component Video

By on July 7, 2009 4:33:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

FutileEmotion

Join Date 03/2009
+18

I purchased an HDMI to component video cable, thinking I would be able to connect my laptop to my TV.  My TV has a component input, and I know that we use the same spot to connect our DVD Video recorder (model # DMR-E85H).  My laptop has HDMI out, and I've used it on occasion to hook up HDMI to HDMI.

So far, despite my best effort, I'm not getting any picture or video on the TV, and my laptop doesn't seem to recognize a second display source.

I really would like to watch netflix and play games on the bigger TV, are there any thoughts? 

24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 7, 2009 4:48:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If it's just a cable alone, it's useless unless your video chipset actually supports outputting component via HDMI (which I've never heard of--usually such cards use a special port that looks like s-video for extra outputs), as the two are entirely different signal formats. You'd need an actual converter box, which can be fairly pricey.

July 7, 2009 4:53:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What is the model of of the laptop? 

What is the model of the TV? 

July 7, 2009 5:57:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The laptop is an Acer Aspire AS6930-6073 with A GeForce 9600M GS graphics card.  I'm not sure about the TV model, only that its a five? year old sony projection 42" TV.

I have a feeling that Kryo's right on the money based on some research, and that I was a touch mislead with the cable I purchased.  Any tips on a way to connect my laptop (with HDMI and VGA outs) to my TV (with composite and component inputs) without breaking the bank? 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 7, 2009 6:29:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I found this on Tiger Direct, but you can look at other sites.  Would this be something that you could?  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4282785&CatId=79

July 7, 2009 6:38:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

RGBHV (five cables) isn't generally the same as component (YPbPr, three cables), no.

July 7, 2009 6:52:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you wanna connect a T.V to your laptop, you can simply use a S-Video cable , its cheap n works fine !!

July 7, 2009 6:54:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

KP-51HW40 is the model # of the TV.  When taking a closer look, it also has S-Video inputs.

Philly - that looks like, cable wise, it would connect the two devices.  Can someone comment on:

1) Not sure if VGA splits into component or not (ie, will it work)?

2) Is this my best option quality wise?

3) Is $40 a decent price?

EDIT: Kryo sniped me, saying that it probably wouldn't work.  Scratch this post.

July 7, 2009 6:54:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Amitsaran - my laptop has VGA and HDMI outputs, but no S-Video.

July 7, 2009 6:56:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just did some more checking on the internet and there are a wide variety available.  The least expensive would be cables, but there are also nice swithch boxes that you can find.

July 7, 2009 7:46:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm digging around, and posting on a couple other forums, I'll be sure to report back here.

July 7, 2009 8:30:43 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

My wifes HP w/  9600M video card and has an HDMI output. When plugged into an HDMI input on our LED TV, it recognizes it as a second monitor. We had to use the TV's remote to select the HDMI input, it won't work just plugging it in. I'd check with your TV manufacturer. HDMI cables are expensive, but not sure if the picture quality will be as good with anything else if you're watching Blue Ray or Hi-Def.

July 7, 2009 8:37:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The hDMI won't work as others have said. You need to get a 2 way splitter. Hook up the incoming cable to the single connector on the splitter, than hook one cable form one connection into your cable boc than the other splitter into your computer tv tunner card cable end. I have tried many things and this is the only thing that works.

July 7, 2009 10:49:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nitro - Not an option, our TV doesn't have an HDMI input - hence the need for a work around. =\

Dave - Can you elaborate on what kind of splitter you're talking about?

July 8, 2009 7:09:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks like my only reasonable option is to find a VGA to S-Video conversion method, find an HDMI up-converter, or buy a new TV.

July 8, 2009 8:42:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

a five? year old sony projection 42" TV.

Time to get one of them new fangled flat TV's.

July 10, 2009 7:03:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

perhaps.

July 10, 2009 7:46:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just a regular 2 way coaz splitter form Readio Shack or any electronics store. Also you will need 2 additional coax cables to the length you need. They come in many lengths. Yuo hook the coax cable coming in to your TV to the in connection on the splitter. Than you have two out connections. hook one into your Tv than the other into your Computer tuner card. It should have a coax connection on the back of your computer.

July 10, 2009 7:47:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you don't have that coax connector on your laptop than forget everything I said.

July 10, 2009 7:58:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
July 10, 2009 8:48:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Looks like you ,ay have the answer there Fred.

July 10, 2009 10:23:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think so Dave, and it seems like a reasonable price, I've also seen some wireless options....but, of course that's going to cost more.

July 13, 2009 2:26:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Reply GarbageMan:  That looks like a splendid option, I probably will end up going with that.  Your first karma is on its way.

Reply Superman:  That is a great article, I stumbled upon that earlier and it was an informative read.  Some karma for you too!

July 14, 2009 6:04:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Glad I could help!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.