Gateway LX6810-01, Is it worth it?

By on June 10, 2009 11:03:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nyczzz

Join Date 03/2008
+4

Im in the market for a tower PC that can handle quite a few things ranging from animation (Manga Studio, Photo, Coral and etc) to light to medium gaming (starcraft 2, ragnarok, Sims 3, SINS) and lots of work related stuff (database and etc). I had switched over to notebook computers quite some time ago and i feel its time i come back to having a tower PC that i can upgrade. I intend to connect the tower to a samsung lcd tv (20''-ish). Ive done quite a bit of research and there are quite alot of options out there for me but i dont want to spend more than 800 $. I have come across the LX6810-01 on bestbuy which caught my eye but not sure if its worth it. UPDATE:(Best Buy has it for 779$ and i can price match it down to 679$)

So my question are:

Is it worth it?/Good?

Are there other options?

Update: After overwhelming opinion against buying the prebuilt PC, i have taken the advice on building one of my own. Now taking advice and suggestions on what components to buy.

Thanks in advance.

49 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 10, 2009 11:11:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If it caught your eye then its probably Worth it..

Sounds good to me but this is a pretty "relative" subject so.. Your Choice

and lots others could just post "THEIR" choices here for you instead. gl though I have a dell Studio 1535. I love it .. The NEXT puter I am buyin though will be a Mac..thats just me.

I think it sounds good for you though.. GL and good Hunting.

Anne

June 10, 2009 11:18:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AnneMarie,
If it caught your eye then its probably Worth it..

Sounds good to me but this is a pretty "relative" subject so.. Your Choice

and lots others could just post "THEIR" choices here for you instead. gl though I have a dell Studio 1535. I love it .. The NEXT puter I am buyin though will be a Mac..thats just me.

I think it sounds good for you though.. GL and good Hunting.

Anne

Yeah i have a Mac Book Pro plus the Laptop im currently on right now. ATM the MBPro is the most powerful cpu i have but its only good for vid and animation editing (to me personally atleast), not much for games and such. Plus my g/f take the pro with her to work so im left with a avg laptop .

Im open to suggestions as i want to see if there was anything i may have missed. The Gateway, caught my eye mainly because it was the only Quad Core Intel they had in the store, others had AMD and i just dont like AMD, especially coupled with ATI graphic cards -.-

June 11, 2009 12:38:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If your intention is to be able to upgrade in the future, why not build your own now?

You will avoid having all the preinstalled crap that comes in a best buy pc.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 11, 2009 12:44:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I totally agree with Night Train.  Unless there was some insane deal going on, I would not buy a desktop from anyone.  I'd just build it myself after pricing out the best components.  You could easily get a decent rig for 600 and an excellent one for 800.  Check out here http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=190314&t=553826&highlight=intel as it might help you get a head start... also just browse the hot deals forum on www.slickdeals.net

June 11, 2009 12:58:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That was my other option, i could pick and piece components together that i want but im not tech savy enough to build one up without it somehow catching fire or something lol. Im sure it isnt as simple as just pluging this here and that there.

Ill start doing some research on each component and see how much it will run me.

June 11, 2009 1:10:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Never, ever buy a computer from a manufacturer unless there is a truly bogus deal going on. Not only will this, as some have already stated, eliminate crap programs, it will also help you better understand your computer and its wiring (useful for repair, maintenance, tinkering, or upgrading), as well as save money to buy yourself parts and then assemble the computer. Now, if you're unsure what parts to get for games such as Ragnarok, I can help you out there too. Reply with a budget if that's the area you need help with

June 11, 2009 1:20:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,
Never, ever buy a computer from a manufacturer unless there is a truly bogus deal going on. Not only will this, as some have already stated, eliminate crap programs, it will also help you better understand your computer and its wiring (useful for repair, maintenance, tinkering, or upgrading), as well as save money to buy yourself parts and then assemble the computer. Now, if you're unsure what parts to get for games such as Ragnarok, I can help you out there too. Reply with a budget if that's the area you need help with

My budget is about 700-900$, Originally i only wanted to buy a prebuilt one at no more than 800$ but if i am to build one myself, i can up the max budget to 900$.

Im working on something on a check list for parts now.

June 11, 2009 1:27:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Im sure it isnt as simple as just pluging this here and that there.

Its actually not far from that. If I can do it so can you.

June 11, 2009 6:08:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Building your own rig is actually pretty easy. My first was out of throw away parts and I had never built one prior to that. True it's a learning experience but here's your advabntage. If you have had or do still have a tower just open it up and look inside. That should give you some idea as to what goes where. Another excellent source is right here. There are quite a few tech savvy computer geeks who will I'm sure be happy to answer any questions you have. So just sign in, ask away and pretty soon you'll be on your way to 'puter heaven with the rest of us.   Good luck.

June 11, 2009 8:21:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thats not a horrible system, but for $800 you could do much better. Hell, for $900 you can just about pull off an i7. (You could if you don't care for more than a lower-midrange video card probably, I'll have to try again. When I playing around on newegg a month or so ago for my step-bro I did a Phenom 2 x4 for like $750, and a i7 for like $950. (both with fairly good video cards, which by the way, the one you picked there has shit for)

I just wish there was a way to save multiple cart lists on newegg, I'd keep like 3 or 4 builds saved every couple months and not have to re-do them constantly when someone asks with a slightly different budget.

Lemme see what I can do here;

So here is you $900> i7 system. The video card is a bit low compared to the rest of the system I will admit, but it still kicks the crap out of the one in the gateway you listed, and can easily be upgraded later if you desire. (this system is very future friendly) Also for the moderate gaming you listed it should suffice. (I'd look to a gtx260 when you can afford it)

So our total is $898.15 (including shipping), with $55 avalible in mail-in rebates to give you a grand total of $843.15 after rebates. Here's what we've got:

Intel i7 920 > $280

Asus X58 Mobo > $210

OCZ 6gb RAM Kit > $100

WD 500gb HD > $60

BFG 9600GT Video Card > $80

OCZ 700w Power Sup > $80

Cooler Master Case > $50

LG DVD Burner >$25

For a grand total of $885, with $13 shipping (Paying $10 more for a case with free shipping is a good investment in the final price ) for a final ammount of just over $898 before rebates.

Lemme know what you think. (And damn I gotta stop building PC's at 4:30am lol)

Edit: BTW Win7 RC 64bit would be your OS, it rock + it's free for 9 months

June 11, 2009 11:53:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

On the system build tha Yargnit proposed:

Personally, I'd trade out the i7 for almost any other CPU (AMD Quad/Trip core, Intel Quad core).  It'll save you money on the processor AND about $100 on the motherboard.  With that, you can spend another $50 and get the 9800 GTX+, which is a much nicer video card for not much more.  You might even have enough for a GTX200 series, but that's not necessary.

The rest of the build is good.  Not quite what I'd go with, but I see nothing wrong with it.

Edit: BTW Win7 RC 64bit would be your OS, it rock + it's free for 9 months

Totally agree with you.

Please, please don't buy the Gateway.  If you must buy a prebuilt machine, buy it from someone else.  I've had so many problems with their machines, it's not funny.  I'd buy a Compaq before them (don't buy a Compaq, either).

June 11, 2009 12:10:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

build your own is prolly the best way to go if you want to upgrade...ill nver buy anothe rcomputer from a department store until they styart selling pc's buy the piece. buying a prebuilt you get all the CRAP THEY think you should have too....GO for building it yourself...its not to hard to do either

June 11, 2009 4:51:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, ive been browsing around to see what parts i could get for my price range. Ill have a list of parts i intend to buy and ill put up that list here. Just to clarify, i need a processor, a mobo, graphic card, usb ports, sound card, ram, harddrive, optical drive and power source (?) and ofcourse a case to put it all in. Anything im missing from that list that i would need?

i dont want to forget something when its all done and ready.

Once again, thanks for all the advice and help everyone.

June 11, 2009 5:05:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Gateway LX6810-01, Is it worth it?

No!

June 11, 2009 6:58:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yargnit provided some decent specs, but I'd recommend going with a cheaper motherboard/cpu setup.  I highly recommend the e8400 processor along with an ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard.  You are still paying a pretty big premium on an i7 setup.  Then, you could allocate additional money to a higher end graphics card.  There, I'd recommend a GTX 260.  My rig uses those specs for base components and it can handle anything I throw at it.  Still, I7's are temping, but the price point is painful.

June 11, 2009 9:00:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I guess I should probably defend my reasoning for going with an i7 since most people seem to be disagreeing with that choice.

1st off, Nyczzz said specifically he didn't like AMD, and he was looking specifically for a quadcore.

The Gateway, caught my eye mainly because it was the only Quad Core Intel they had in the store, others had AMD and i just dont like AMD

So that rules out the Phenom 2's (which is what I normally would probably go to on an $800-$900 dollar budget), as well as the intel dual cores. At this point we're left with basically the i7 920 or the Core2 Q9950 as being the logical processors to choose. This leaves the real question to be, why pick the i7 over the core2?

The core 2 will save you $50 on the CPU and anywhere between $0 and $120 on the motherboard depending on what you want to get. (Around $80 for a 750i mobo, but virtually nohing for a 780i or 790i mobo) So if you want a cheap motherboard yeah you can save with the Core2 quad, like this Asus 750i. But going even to this cheaper Asus 780i leaves you poaying only $25 less than the i7 motherboard. (You will save a few bucks on the RAM too but you'll get 4gb instead of 6gb, if go up to the next RAM step, which would be 8gb, you'll save nothing)

The last thing to consider, and what ultimatly decided it for me was product lifespan. the LGA775 socket that the Core2's use is at the end of the road. Intel alread has their new socket 1366 out for the i7's, and their mainstream line are going to be swapping to a socket 1156 with the i5 line coming out soon. So if you were to get the Core2 you'd be buying a platform that's just about at the end of it's effective life, while going with the i7 you'd be getting one thats very future friendly. (in socket, as well as RAM standard with ddr3 as opposed to ddr2)

The sticking point I know was the video card, a 9600gt is rather weak I will admit, but it's also very easy to SLI it later, or swap it for a GTX260+. From reading what you were listing as you prime uses for the PC, (Animation, moderate gaming, work DB stuff) the power of the i7 processor I feel would be more likely to see immediate benefit than you would be to notice the lack of a higher end video card. (Plus the stated monitor won't be an ultra high resolution to tax a GPU)

Those are my thoughts anyways based off of what you stated. If you were willing to give AMD a try I could probably build you a very nice Phenom2 x4 that would give you better video performance with just a slight CPU hit, (Would still use an Nvidia card) but thats your call.

June 11, 2009 10:07:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Okay, after putting some time digging through Newegg, this is what i have come up with. (Its not a final list, its a preliminary one for the you all to see and judge and modify). As for the processors, i could live with Core 2 Duo but from what i understand, Quads are capable to run many apps and if the quad processors are powerful enough they can run as well as 3.0+ 2 Duos. Right? lol.

Also, more questions:

Some cases have built in power supply, are they sufficient enough to run this rig?

Cooler/Heatsink, im assuming its necessary and would i need other fans aside from the ones that come with the case?

And, is any combination i have come up with on my list any good? (just wanted to see if im atleast on the right track lol)

Also, i realize that taking the most pricey components from my list will top it at 1K to 1.1K, I intend on working my way down or maybe raising my max price.

DVD Drive-

Model GH22NP20 - LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE ($23.00)

Processor-

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor ($189.99)
or
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor ($279.99)
or
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor ($229.99)
or
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor ($184.99)

CPU Fan/HeatSink

COOLER MASTER GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler ($34.99)

Hard Drives

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive ($74.99)
or
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drives ($94.99)

Memory (RAM)

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($170.00)

Motherboard

ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard Model P5QL PRO ($86.99)

Power Supply

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply ($109.99)

Graphics Card

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ PVT98WYDFU Video Card ($134.99)
or
EVGA 01G-P3-1155-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 ($147.99)
or
EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 ($184.99)

Case

Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($89.99)
or
SIGMA LUNA LUNA-WB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($79.99)
or
NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($69.99 )

June 11, 2009 10:29:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I personally chose the e8400 for my build because its dual core at a higher clock speed than a comparably priced quad.  And if my games can't benefit from the 2 extra cores on a quad, then high clock speed = better value.  It's been a bit since I read of on this, but when I made the decision to get a dual core over a quad, that pretty much decided it for me. 

Oh, and don't get me wrong.  I would personally love to get an i7 rig.  Always nice to have the latest and greatest, but with my current setup, I don't have any problems playing any game out there.  If you have extra money to throw at this, then sure, go for the i7, but don't scimp on the video card IMO.  A 260 is more than adequate (eg I don't recommend going above that unless you find an awesome deal). 

Oh... and regarding hard drives, I still recommend getting a Western Digital Raptor (or veliciraptor if that's what they are called today)... they are 10,000 rpm drives and very nice. 

And last... I'd recommend checking prices at www.newegg.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, and www.tigerdirect.com.  I've had business with all 3 companies in the past and all are highly reputable. 

June 11, 2009 10:34:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Like most things we buy, the key factor is the amount of money available for the purchase.  i brought the LX6810-1 in April when my XP system went down (P4, 2.6ghz, 2GB memory, 80GB HD).  It was a very big upgrade for me and I do not regret it.  I'm not a gamer or a person with the confidence to build my own system so I felt for the money that it was a good buy.

There are so many choices out there that the only advice I can offer is get the most computer that your budget will allow.  If you are able to buy the parts and build it you will not doubt be able to get more computer for the money.

June 11, 2009 10:50:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

just dont set it on fire

June 11, 2009 11:03:57 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I have the Gateway Fx -6800- o1e. Does anyone have this computer?

June 12, 2009 1:38:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting pacov,
I personally chose the e8400 for my build because its dual core at a higher clock speed than a comparably priced quad.  And if my games can't benefit from the 2 extra cores on a quad, then high clock speed = better value.  It's been a bit since I read of on this, but when I made the decision to get a dual core over a quad, that pretty much decided it for me. 

Oh, and don't get me wrong.  I would personally love to get an i7 rig.  Always nice to have the latest and greatest, but with my current setup, I don't have any problems playing any game out there.  If you have extra money to throw at this, then sure, go for the i7, but don't scimp on the video card IMO.  A 260 is more than adequate (eg I don't recommend going above that unless you find an awesome deal). 

Oh... and regarding hard drives, I still recommend getting a Western Digital Raptor (or veliciraptor if that's what they are called today)... they are 10,000 rpm drives and very nice. 

And last... I'd recommend checking prices at www.newegg.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, and www.tigerdirect.com.  I've had business with all 3 companies in the past and all are highly reputable. 

Yeah those are the sites i was checking around before, mainly newegg tho. I would love to have a i7 but indeed it is quite expensive. its certainly a possible choice but it will be a choice ill make if i can fit everything else into my budget and free up some money for it.

Something has come to mind just now though, the OS, i would need to buy a copy of windows im assuming and certainly thats not cheap @.@

June 12, 2009 1:45:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Use Win7 RC for now and save for the final release next year.

June 12, 2009 2:12:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Night Train,
Use Win7 RC for now and save for the final release next year.

Hmm, that might just do, although how stable is Win7 RC? And is it dependable at the moment for a new rig?

Eitherway, i plan on making my purchases prolly over the weekend and hopefully have it built and running by the end of next week. I just now need some opinions and advice on the parts ive picked out on a list in my previous post before i commit my money to everything.

June 12, 2009 5:46:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

win7 rc 64 and 32 bit are at least as stable as winxp if not more stable

harpo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000546   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.