Steam shortcuts

Can't make these work in OD

By on March 12, 2009 4:41:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Silentsnot

Join Date 07/2008

If you have your games in Steam, you can use their ingame chat while playing even non-Steam games. Steam will even make shortcuts for you with te correct settings, allowing you to open a game via Steam with a regular shortcut.

I can't get these shortcuts to work with ObjectDock, which is really a bummer to me. This means that I have to go through the hassle of opening Steam first and entering games from there (I don't have shortcuts on my desktop other than what's on OD), rather than just clicking my OD shortcuts.

Anyone have a solution, workaround or something of the kind for this?

Thanks in advance

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 12, 2009 5:42:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All I do is use Steam to create the desktop shortcut, then drag it to your OD bar. Works fine for me. Are you getting an error when you try this?

March 12, 2009 6:37:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting casperinmd,
All I do is use Steam to create the desktop shortcut, then drag it to your OD bar. Works fine for me. Are you getting an error when you try this?

Yeah, it just starts up Steam, and nothing else.

March 12, 2009 6:43:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Here are my settings for Steam game World of Goo.

Link: C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe

Arguments: -applaunch 22000

Start in: C:\program files\steam

The key there is the Arguments, that 22000 means World of Goo. Is that showing up in your desktop shortcut before you add it to OD?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 12, 2009 6:53:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, I have something similar in mine. Different number, of course. Hold on while I test with a couple more games. It might be a problem with that game, it's cracked because I've lost my cd.

March 12, 2009 7:22:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If its fear 2...I can't help ya fix that one

March 12, 2009 8:43:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hehe, no I tried with Warcraft 3 and Sins of a Solar Empire, they just open Steam :/

Edit: Could it matter that I'm using the free version I was given through Impulse?

March 12, 2009 9:02:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don't believe so, does it work from the desktop icon you created from the Steam client? If so, do a properties on the shortcut that you put on the OD bar, see if it is keepig them, if not add them back.

March 12, 2009 9:11:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, they work from the desktop shortcuts. When I click properties on the OD, I get properties for my Steam.exe file. When I click dock entry properties, it appears to have all the right settings.

March 13, 2009 9:04:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

They work fine for me, but I AM using the Stacks docklet. If it opens Steam and no game, then I figure it's just not reading the applaunch number that ties the game to Steam.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.