New Signs of Life In The Winstep Gallery

C'mon Over and Take a Peek!

By on March 6, 2009 11:27:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2149

Hi folks! Two Posts in a week....

Well, this one's worth a look, at least. WebGizmos and Anand2008 have breathed some new life into a Gallery which was languishing.

I mean of course, The Winstep Gallery.

Since Brad and Island Dog (if my aging memory serves) were so kind to Jorge Coelho and published his subscription drive a few months ago, Winstep is undergoing a rebirth thanks to new artists the "porting" of the older great 5imple by a great artist danilloOc and the brand spankin' new Master Skin "Prowler" by vStyler.

Great new things are in the plans for Winstep, namely a totally revamped User Interface instead of the older, more unwieldy controls.

Winstep Extreme works "glitchlessly" (witness the birth of a new word) with Stardock's excellent software and complements it's sleekness and functionality seamlessly.

I'm hoping that the Winstep Gallery has a place in the new WC due (we all hope and anticipate) at the end of this month.

31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 6, 2009 11:41:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

it may be a very simple question of money and how many customizing programs are you going to run.  Some may be looking at Winstep and saying 'yes it's nice but Stardock does all I need'.

It would be hard to find this information but it would be interesting to see how many Stardock customers also have Winstep and how many Winstep customers also have Stardock.  It sounds like the same question but what I getting at is if you had Stardock first would you also get Winstep or if you had Winstep first would you also get Stardock.

I'm sure that you would find people answering yes from both sides but are they in the majority?

How about all those folks out there that have computers and have never been interested in customizing thier desktops (hard to believe I know).

March 6, 2009 12:03:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Philly....I'm not advocating anyone buy anything....in fact, I posted (here) about a site for free software just the other day.

I'm just hoping the Gallery makes it to the new WC, in light of the renewed interest in it...

Also, I know from talking with WG how much work goes into the skinning, and also wanted these folks art to be recognized as well: I felt badly that the new submissions haven't really been noticed...

In all honesty I have no idea who has both or either/or programs, and like you don't believe there's any real way to find out.

That was another reason I put this post in 'Skinning' and not 'Community'....A chacun son goût ...

March 6, 2009 12:40:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I understand where you are coming from DrJBHL and the reason you made the post. 

What's the old saying 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink'. 

Winstep in some ways is a lot like Desktop Sidebar, they do different things but are both very nice programs. Desktop Sidebar is free, I've used it and others have also but it never generated much excitement or enthusiasm here.

I think Winstep has been around longer.  Take a look in the WC Gallery Library for ScreenShots,  you can find some using Winstep but you have to spend some time finding them.  Take a look at the monthly forum thread for Desktop SS don't see many there either.

I'm one of the Stardock users that has looked at Winstep and said 'yes it's nice but I don't use everything that's available from Stardock with all it's bell and whistles'.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 6, 2009 12:51:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How about all those folks out there that have computers and have never been interested in customizing thier desktops (hard to believe I know).
Say it aint so!

I for one couldn't imagine doing without ODNT.Since is a "Do it all and then some" package,I've felt no need for other customizing software. I rarely even use the Vista sidebar.DX does it better ,with more style and far less resources. This in no way detracts from the great things  done by and for other software,just that I have no need for them myself.My 2 cents.

March 6, 2009 1:09:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Amazing, though, how many haven't even tried any customizing software. Probably because so many work on 'puters during the day and want some respite after work.

Many don't have control  over their work computers (ownership) and many don't want to learn anything new...kinda sad.

I remember I.D. or Zubaz asking (awhile back) whether skinning/SD will be adversely affected by the (then mild) Recession.

I wonder what folks think now?

Anyone have any thoughts....the thread can open up to whatever...no problem from my point of view.

March 6, 2009 1:34:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No doubt the current Financial situation with proable Recession and even talk of a Depression has had an effect of every aspect of daily life and will not doubt make it's presence known here.

You can make an argument that if having a computer customizing the desktop environment can help pass the hours.  Then of course many folks have had to make the decision that they cannot afford to pay for internet access.

You have the Government passing Bailout and Economic Stimulus Bills, businesses holding out thier hands for help for what amounts to on thier part bad business decisions and then you read that too many folks have gone back to establishing saving account and the folks in the Government are getting ready to be blamed them for the failed economy.  How dare anyone try to save money in these harsh financial times.  Spend, spend, spend.

It really is a mess, it's not something that can be ignored, Big Government and Big Businees has more than likely set up at least this Country for failure if not others.

Just my personal opinion here, worth at least as much as everyone's elses

Oh, have a great day.

March 6, 2009 1:40:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Is this a post about 'skinning' or one about 'fleecing'?  

March 6, 2009 1:41:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I utilize both ODNT and Winstep.  Anything useful as long as it has a hidden state.  I like my desktop clean.  XPs quick launch bar has been handy for me also.  I do use Desktop Sidebar quite often also.  Mike is so good with that program, I wish he would skin more to match a lot of the more current and/or popular blinds.

My 3 cents.  Inflation Wiz!

March 6, 2009 1:53:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Hankers,
Is this a post about 'skinning' or one about 'fleecing'?  

That's a funny line...I did open up the thread... lol

March 6, 2009 1:54:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting angus1949,
I utilize both ODNT and Winstep.  Anything useful as long as it has a hidden state.  I like my desktop clean.  XPs quick launch bar has been handy for me also.  I do use Desktop Sidebar quite often also.  Mike is so good with that program, I wish he would skin more to match a lot of the more current and/or popular blinds.

My 3 cents.  Inflation Wiz!

Agreed.  I'm trying to hide my computer!

March 6, 2009 1:58:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey! Nice skin huh?  

March 6, 2009 2:10:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,
Hey! Nice skin huh?  

Heck yeah!!!

I really wanted this to be a positive post. 

March 6, 2009 2:49:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Winstep got me skinning... shortly thereafter... never used it again for one reason or another.

I will say WG has been doing a good job on em tho.

March 6, 2009 2:57:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It is and the more Winstep skins the better.  

March 6, 2009 2:58:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting WebGizmos,
reply 11
Hey! Nice skin huh?  

Heck yeah!!!

I think this is a positive post.  Winstep skins are very nice, I just don't see that I would benefit from using it and ObjectDesktop Ultimate and ObjectDock Plus. 

March 6, 2009 4:51:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I will say WG has been doing a good job on em tho.

Thanks John! Wait till you see what I got planned for your Stargate skin!

March 7, 2009 10:38:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I really wanted this to be a positive post

This is really cool what you've done here Doc.  You're simply alerting to the fact that there's new designs coming to the WinStep Gallery for the first time in almost a half a year, and it suppose to be a celebration for the brilliant efforts of WebGizmos & anand2008.

But somehow this has turned into an economics summit dispute.

My congrats to WebGizmos & anand2008 for taking that hugh leap into the WS realm and putting out some world class stuff!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!  And thanks for the post Doc!

Cp

I just don't see that I would benefit from using it and ObjectDesktop Ultimate and ObjectDock Plus

Which is sweeter apples or oranges, they're just choices.

March 7, 2009 11:13:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

cplairDrJBHL opened up the thread in reply #5. 

I think I covered the original post and continued with the current financial situatations as to why possibly more folks here are not using Winstep.  I have always liked and will continue to like the talents and skill of the skinners in the community.

Different opinions in any discussion provide for a better understanding of the topic.  You do allow for that, right?

Apples and organges, that takes me way back to my early years when I fisst join the AF, had a Finance Officer that always used that analogy.  Unfortunately in my cureent status I can not eat organges, acid reflux.

cplair, between you and me, I'm still trying to figure out and use all of the Stardock stuff.  Ah, don't tell anyone. 

March 7, 2009 11:23:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

cplair, between you and me, I'm still trying to figure out and use all of the Stardock stuff. Ah, don't tell anyone

Mums the word dude!

March 7, 2009 12:24:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey Curtis, did you see that in the Theme Manager Suite I did for GT3/GT3 OS (TM XP Suite) I included the Winstep skin.

March 7, 2009 12:54:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock + Winstep = Winner!

March 7, 2009 1:15:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well...I've had the whole ODNT package since the get go and all I use are Windowblinds...the widgets from DX...Iconpackager...and ObjectZip.,,then the standalones of CursorXpPlus & ObjectDockPlus...and some of the stuff I've never used. But personally I think Winstep offers things in a different way than those things which is why I use it as well. If you don't have ODNT its like having Windowblinds...DesktopX & Objectdock with Winstep. It's almost like having a ThemeManager that actually works.

But I think the whole point of what Doc was trying to do was just let people know...who do use Winstep...that there were and are new skins coming out now after lag...I don't think it was about whether you should use it or not...you either do or you don't like with everything else.

Anyway...I have a bunch more skins in the makings...so stay tuned!

March 7, 2009 1:46:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Anyway...I have a bunch more skins in the makings...so stay tuned!

March 7, 2009 2:15:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hankers just comes here to download stuff. 

WG (#22) is right...and If people have fun with a more open thread, it's fine with me also. It isn't my sandbox. If it was, none of you cats would be let in ( ).

I'm fine with Philly's feelings about things...he has used Winstep ... therefore has an educated opinion...and face it, I can learn from everyone here (I'm that ignorant   ...no LOL). In fact, using my own criteria, I'm the least qualified to have one. ("I wouldn't join a club that had me as a member.").

I'm like a kid with these really cool SD and WS tools. So...

I'm really happy WG and anand2008 have started skinning with WS (which was the original purpose of this) and I'm really happy about expanding the Community...

It's all good.

March 7, 2009 3:51:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey Curtis, did you see that in the Theme Manager Suite I did for GT3/GT3 OS (TM XP Suite) I included the Winstep skin

I tried, but the gremlins stole it!

Nah, I saw that by mcackerson Philly!  And may I offer my congrats to you on the absolutely stellar job you've done with the suites gallery Sir!  Just a stupendous array!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.