Living with Windows 7: Part 2 - Fences

By on February 4, 2009 11:49:33 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1107

So I’ve started loading up my new Windows 7 machine with stuff. 

First thing I loaded was Impulse which gives me access to a lot of the programs I own.  I’ve also put on Incredibuild which we use to help make builds a lot faster.  I’ve got Office 2007 installed, various version of Visual Studio, Adobe Acrobat, Skype, VMWare Workstation, Adobe Photoshop, Beyond Compare, WinCVS, and so on.  I tried to install Corel Draw X4 but don’t have enough activations left (GRRR) (I wish there was an easy “de-activate other installations) since I only have the one copy in use.

Of course at this point my desktop is starting to get a lot of junk on it.  So just in time, I am installing the first generally available Community Tech Preview version of Stardock’s killer new app: FENCES

At the risk of hyperbole, Fences is probably the single most significant piece of desktop software to be released since…well I don’t know how long. I predict Fences will become one of the most popular programs out there in a short amount of time. 

Let’s see how well this runs on Windows 7 because it is an amazingly powerful program that integrates deeply into the OS.

Installing Fences on Windows 7.

On first-run.

It creates some default fences to clean up my desktop:

Now my desktop has some fences on it that let me organize my icons easily.

For my next trick, I exclude the recycle bin from quick-hide (which I’ll show next).

Double click on my desktop and…

A clean desktop other than my recycle bin.

What’s nice about Fences is that it lets me organize my desktop easily without having to create bunches of folders. It enables my cluttering rather than trying to force me to organize.

Anyway, so Fences is working in Windows 7 which is no small feat.  Windows 7 64-bit for that matter!

BTW, for you power users you’ll love this:

SSD? Bah.  64-bit with lots of RAM = mega speed because everything ends up in the disk cache.  Of course, having a Core i7 is nice with 8 virtual CPUs is helpful too. It’s a long day from the OS/2 SMP days.

33 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 4, 2009 12:01:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"It enables my cluttering rather than trying to force me to organize." Bestill my beating heart. It's sweet, and I can't believe it's free.

February 4, 2009 2:11:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This sounds very wonderful!!!  Is it available now?  If so i will download it immediately. 

Thanks Brad, i have half lived with some folders, some desktop icons, and some launch bars in an effort to have easy to get to programs without going through 3 submenus or having 12 dozen icons on my desktop and have a heck of a time trying to find stuff. Or staring at tiny icons with tiny print in toolbars on the bottom of the screen.  

I would love to give this a try!! 

Thank you again,

-Teal

February 4, 2009 2:16:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This sounds very wonderful!!! Is it available now? If so i will download it immediately.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/338729

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 4, 2009 2:24:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fences is seriously awesome!

February 4, 2009 2:34:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What size monitor do you have and what resolution brad????

February 4, 2009 2:49:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

BTW, for you power users you’ll love this:

Show off.

February 5, 2009 3:37:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

downloaded it and tried it last night, and it is wonderful!!!   I like having things quick to hand, and also the clean desktop that is beautiful when you want it.    Thanks to Brad and Company!!!  This is really really nice. 

-Teal

February 5, 2009 3:38:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

This sounds very wonderful!!! Is it available now? If so i will download it immediately.
http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/338729

Thank you Annatar    Looked it up on Google last night, but it was nice of you to post the link. Isn't it cool? 

-Teal

February 5, 2009 4:16:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Fences are pure genius.  I knew I needed something like them, even though I don't have a lot of dekstop shortcuts.  Great job!

February 9, 2009 6:51:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

Let’s see how well this runs on Windows 7 because it is an amazingly powerful program that integrates deeply into the OS.

It does look like a really useful program, but that sentence absolutely terrifies me.

February 9, 2009 7:43:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Fences is good software of that there is no doubt but I don't use it and this is why: Object Dock, Rocket Dock. I can have everything I want right there on the desktop and it can be skinned too.

February 11, 2009 11:41:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Good sir I want to give you money for this program, even though its free.

February 11, 2009 12:32:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great look ahead Brad... 

...'cept that hideous 7 taskbar..

February 11, 2009 7:14:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting vStyler,

...'cept that hideous 7 taskbar..

I agree, I hate the way the quick launch icons expand to task bar buttons.

Fences huh... guess maybe I need to check it out. 

February 11, 2009 8:03:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good sir I want to give you money for this program, even though its free.

There's going to be a Pro version at some point, I believe.  And that will be something they charge for. 

February 11, 2009 11:40:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think it said free for personal use on the site, so I'd assume that means if you're a dev (who doesn't run stardock ) you have to pay for it

March 7, 2009 10:23:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hello, Fences is more convenient that the traditional bars tools and especially enjoyable graphically!
Thank you for the realization of a dream...
After creation of several Fences,
I would like to select only one or more (visible in the menu list with a right click) to restore them and only them with a double click on desktop.
All of the Fences restored with double click being too intrusive.
Apart from the snapshot I can't find solution.
Thank you for your great work.

April 17, 2009 11:26:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Hey Frogboy,

I recently had to upgrade my development computer from Vista (*shudder*) to Windows 7. Everything has gone great, except that that if I install and build with Incredibuild, after some indeterminate amount of time the whole OS hangs. Did you encounter any problems with Incredibuild during your installation? What version are you using?

Thanks!

June 21, 2009 4:06:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i tried fences 2-3 weeks ago and didn't like it, maybe i will give it another shot

July 3, 2009 3:12:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This i'll look into tonight or tomorrow.

October 15, 2009 11:00:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am having an issue with Fences in Win 7. I can't lock/unlock the fences at all. I am stuck with the way they are. I can't adjust the size or move them at all. There is no unlock option that I can find. Help please?

October 16, 2009 12:48:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Right click on the fence and it's under the "View" menu.

December 24, 2011 2:33:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It seemed like a great idea at first.  But then, I tried using my computer.  Wow!! Fences really put a big-time lag on my system. I had to disable it.

December 24, 2011 2:58:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's very uncommon.  I'd look for other, possibly related, issues.

February 21, 2012 9:51:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

just added 4 useless things on my destop's right click, like i didnt had enough

configure fences

hide desktop icons

rename fence

remove fence

how do i remove them all???

how do i disable the annoying double click hide whatever thing?

Also if i just save an image to my desktop, how do i configure the program to automatically sort it into my one and only fence?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.