How do I download my updated copy of Skin Studio Pro without installing bloatware Impulse product?

By on December 27, 2008 12:13:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

MKANET

Join Date 07/2007
+9

I would like to download my updated copy of Skin Studio Pro (which I'm registered for) without installing the bloadware Impulse product?  I just need a URL.  Do I need to email customer support?

Thanks in advance,

MKANET

31 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 27, 2008 12:24:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

sales@stardock.com or support@stardock.com might be a solution.

Bloatware... *sigh*

December 27, 2008 1:15:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm really getting tired of people putting down StarDock products.

December 27, 2008 1:55:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

* edited

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 27, 2008 2:38:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Doc...step back from the keyboard and take a few deep breaths before you wear out your smiting key.

MKANET...you can choose to update through Stardock Central instead. Since your a customer and a Wincustomize member for a while, you should know this.

December 27, 2008 3:51:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Everyone please make note this is the support forums, and posts here should be for helping someone with an issue.

Impulse is going to be the best way to install the latest updates and fixes, it is not required to run to use an application like SkinStudio, so the "bloatware" comment is not accurate.

You can also go to the link below and see if your invidual registration has a download link available.

http://www.wincustomize.com/myaccount.aspx?reg

December 28, 2008 1:04:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thats the first thing I tried.  Only Windowsblinds is available that way and the paid skins.  For Skinstudio 6 Professional it says the following:

SkinStudio 6 Professional:
DL 1: http://www.impulsedriven.com/about.asp (Please install Impulse to download.)

Anyway, still looking for a real URL to download it.  I'm sure there's gotta be an installer executable.  Maybe via FTP?  Originally, when I bought Skin Studio, i was pointed to a download URL; now, it seems the only way to upgrade is to be forced to install a downloader/installer; which I dont need help with doing.

Quoting CarGuy1,
Doc...step back from the keyboard and take a few deep breaths before you wear out your smiting key.

MKANET...you can choose to update through Stardock Central instead. Since your a customer and a Wincustomize member for a while, you should know this.

December 28, 2008 1:17:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You will have to contact support at this point.  All apps are being migrated to Impulse.

May I suggest that you install Impulse to install SKS then uninstall it (Impulse)?

December 28, 2008 8:19:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

May I suggest that you install Impulse to install SKS then uninstall it (Impulse)?

Yes, it probably does always seem 'extreme' to dl/install one program [Impulse] just to dl/install one other [SKS Pro] but if you step back and look at it logically Stardock has quite a large number of programs/games/etc accessible via that one [simple] installer/updater.

The more diverse your usage/involvement the more you'll see there's actually real sense to a centralized Installer/updater.

Afterall it's simply the modern [read - better] replacement to SDC [which stands for 'Stardock Central' [and that's self-explanatory]...

December 28, 2008 8:30:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

*edited. Never mind. Jafo said it all. shouldn't have lost my temper. MKA, have a happy holiday.

December 28, 2008 11:25:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'll try asking sales support.  If I buy Skin Studio Pro now, I will get a real/direct URL to download it.  I guess if I had dozens of apps that I downloaded regularly from Stardock, it would make more sense to have a dedicated downloader/installer.  But having a dedicated downloader/installer doesnt seem to make sense for only 1 app that I need to download.  Just imagine if every software publisher decided to make their own proprietary downloader/installer... it would really make a mess of Windows.  Installing/Uninstalling impulse will most likely leave remanants behind in the registry/file system.. not a 100% clean solution.  I already tried looking in the Windows %temp% folder during the impulse download, but I didnt find where the installler gets placed.  Anyway, Happy Holidays.. needless to say, I didnt mean to offend anyone.  I'm just looking for a common practice/direct solution to downloading a product I'm registered for.

December 28, 2008 11:36:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just don't understand why people fight progress....

January 1, 2009 9:20:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
You will have to contact support at this point.  All apps are being migrated to Impulse.

I should point out that while most apps are being moved over to being Impulse only downloads, I believe WindowBlinds and Multiplicity will be downloadable in standalone installer form for the foreseeable future.  In fact it is highly unlikely Multiplicity will ever become Impulse only.

Moving over to a single installer vs two (Impulse and standalone) will naturally save testing and development time.

mkanet: As you must naturally have WindowBlinds as well, it is probably a good idea to use Impulse as that way you can install your WB and SKS updates from a single place and I believe Impulse users also get access to the betas that are not released in standalone installer form.

January 7, 2009 12:36:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Neil, when new customers buy SKS, they receive a direct URL download for the latest build.  I just want to know where that is without having to buy it again.  I can understand if SKS needs regular patches like Microsoft Windows Update on Patch Tuesdays to justify the need for a proprietary downloader/installer, but forcing to install Implulse for a one time install on a new machine just doesnt make any sense ...or all software devleopers would follow this practice.. making Windows a big mess.  Imagine if every software publisher required to install a proprietary installer/downloader just so a customer could get access to one of their products...

I tried looking for where Impulse puts the installation setup file(s)s for SKS on a test machine, but didnt see anything too obvious under %temp%.  Is there an FTP I can download the latest build of SKS from?

Thanks,
Michael

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting Zubaz, reply 7You will have to contact support at this point.  All apps are being migrated to Impulse.

I should point out that while most apps are being moved over to being Impulse only downloads, I believe WindowBlinds and Multiplicity will be downloadable in standalone installer form for the foreseeable future.  In fact it is highly unlikely Multiplicity will ever become Impulse only.

Moving over to a single installer vs two (Impulse and standalone) will naturally save testing and development time.

mkanet: As you must naturally have WindowBlinds as well, it is probably a good idea to use Impulse as that way you can install your WB and SKS updates from a single place and I believe Impulse users also get access to the betas that are not released in standalone installer form.

January 29, 2009 8:39:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We do not post any FTP or exe downloads, you can always access the Support page to get your download links (if there are any) resent to your SD account registered e-mail.

http://www.stardock.com/support/ and use the 'Retrieve Serial Number / Latest Build'.

Impulse is our prefered method of installing, and you can simply uninstall it after your done. But I suggest keeping it, as you then use Impulse to obtain the free updates to your products.

January 29, 2009 9:03:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

man i hate these peolpe talking smack about the products....impulse is nothing on a computer....doesnt slow it up or anything...the guy must have a 20 gig hard drive on a 1985 computer to be whining about "BLOATWARE" ....IMPULSE is the only way to go and eventually i think it WILL be the ONLY WAY TO GO...it has never bothered my computing at all and i have a pretty crappy computer...damn it man!...HAVE A LOVELY DAY

February 10, 2009 3:59:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You like it and that's fine but the program is bloated. I dread having to have to start the thing.

I realized this past month or so that Stardock Central is no longer usable (it no longer shows or updates anything

and even tells me my subscription has expired nevermind that it's good 'til 2010). SDC was my preferred

way of updating.

Impulse, on my machine is fat, a bit sluggish, and requires IE7 for some things. Had IE7 but got rid of it

as it (trident) consumed too much memory.

Since I only use a few core OD packages I think Impulse is too much. The leaner SDC should still be kept

around. What Stardock should do is come out with a small utility who's sole purpose is to just update

software. Or like most software out there just put the upgrade mechanism in the software itself

(i.e. the gold old "Check for updates" menu option).

Having to start Impulse and wait for it to do its thing and settle down just to see if there are

any updates to IconPackager or WB just doesn't work for me.

Bah!

Marc

February 10, 2009 7:34:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

marcdw ...as has been mentioned before....the single updating resource/installer namely 'Impulse' is actually preferred by the majority of users.

It only 'appears' overkill when someone is dealing with a single application/product install, but generally most people have more than one...or in future are likely to do so....and then the logic behind it is self-evident.....

February 10, 2009 7:46:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That was going to be my suggestion.  We are, after all, the masters of our computers.

February 10, 2009 12:13:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hopefully, soon, more options will be available.

see http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/article/339314/Impulse_Phase_3_Preview

February 14, 2009 2:22:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Jafo,

Actually I have half-a-dozen OD apps but what bothers me is the eye candy interface that

can't be toned down. One thing I always do on any machine is turn off animation but lately

more and more programs have buttons and menus that slide and animate and whatnot.

I'd like Impulse to have options to turn that sort of thing off.

There was one setting that helped a tad but not enough.

And the mandatory IE7 thing bites (impulsedriven.net). I couldn't even check out the link

Zubaz provided.

Maybe once I dust off my more capable desktop (got stored away for awhile) I might enjoy

Impulse. I gotta quit playing with old machines. 

I see from this past week that SDC wasn't as dead as I thought when it finally offered up

SoundPackager and the latest WB6.

Anyhind, happy hearts and flowers day all.

February 15, 2009 10:29:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
marcdw ...as has been mentioned before....the single updating resource/installer namely 'Impulse' is actually preferred by the majority of users.

It only 'appears' overkill when someone is dealing with a single application/product install, but generally most people have more than one...or in future are likely to do so....and then the logic behind it is self-evident.....

The fact that it is preferred by most users is not relevant to the OP, guys.

Here's how it looks from another (my) perspective:  I have purchased Object Desktop every year for many years.  I don't personally create skins/applications with the OD tools.  I don't use any Stardock games, either.

I would like to be able to renew my Object Desktop subscription THE SAME WAY I HAVE DONE FOR YEARS AND YEARS.

You may look at Impulse as progress, and you would be right.  But this isn't a case of needing to remove the old method in order to make room for the new.  The requirement to install Impulse in order to renew OD seems capricious and arbitrary to me.  I presume that it is driven by some concern over copy protection, but I don't see that addressed in these forums, so I may be wrong.

FWIW, I do not have Steam or any of its attendant programs on any of my systems either.  I bridle at the notion of needing to be connected, or needing to check in from time to time, in order to be able to use the software I've purchased.  (I know that outlook may be outdated; they may have improved their product, but as far as I am concerned they have screwed the pooch.)

Like the OP, I would like to be able to purchase the product and install it.  Being told that I have to register for, download and install something else in order to do that isn't too hard to do - it just (at least, for me) shouldn't be necessary.

This isn't a rant; I don't expect satisfaction.  I would like an explanation of the rationale behind removing the traditional method of purchasing.  Again, I only ask because it's *not* and either/or.  Stardock Central worked fine, and could continue to be used without changing it (that is, without spending time/money on support of SDC itself).  I havenothing against Impulse, I simply am not interested in it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Beware of he who denies you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

February 15, 2009 11:45:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock Central worked fine, and could continue to be used without changing it (that is, without spending time/money on support of SDC itself). I have nothing against Impulse, I simply am not interested in it
Unfortunately, this is not the case.  SDC was unable to satisfactorily handle the larger files involved in the games business and maintaining two systems was cost prohibitive.

February 15, 2009 12:00:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I dont know why people complain about impulse, i personally think its great, and no doubt about it keeps my stardock apps organized, and so much easier to install and update, i guess people just dont like to be told in order to install this app, you need impulse, oh well i think its great, and makes things so much easier

February 15, 2009 5:13:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hmmm, people are complaining about having to download and install Impulse, but they don't mind downloading and installing SDC...

One D/L and install is ok, one isn't - not logical.

February 15, 2009 5:41:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I guess not everyone likes or can adjust to change...even when it's better and inevitable.

I like Impulse as well as SDC and find it superior in appearance and function. Most computers can handle the program... sorry, but I guess I'm a fossil...I just don't understand what the problem is. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.