THE 'support' forum

By on October 30, 2008 9:46:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo

Join Date 03/2001
+925

There are many [some say TOO many] forum titles/subjects/sections on Stardock's sites....cross-linked and otherwise......however ONE particular one....THIS one here [look up....see the title] is for those poor lost souls [just like you and me at one time] who find themselves 'stuck' and in need of help.

This isn't [and SHOULDN'T] be an opportunity for anyone to entertain themselves at others' expense.

If you cannot provide actual assistance - simply move on.

I do, [and I possibly know more than many...but if I cannot help I leave it to someone who CAN].

Remember...everytime someone's dramas/problems/issues becomes the target/source of facile entertainment it's simply another reminder that we as a Community really CAN do better.

Pinned Post 33 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 30, 2008 9:57:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank You Paul!

October 30, 2008 11:19:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know I'm guilty of this offence and I'm sorry.

Sometimes when I see posts with a provocative title, I jump in with an attitude without even noticing which section the thread is in. I'll be more careful not to this in the future.

Aside from that, I think it might be a good idea to have a section "Stardock Support" that is locked for comments by anyone but support.

Just an idea

October 30, 2008 11:42:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think it might be a good idea to have a section "Stardock Support" that is locked for comments by anyone but support.

On the surface that sounds good.  The problem that I see with that is folks wanting or needing help that the community can provide.  The poster winds up getting mad because no one is responding.  You can see posts all the time that it happens with.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 30, 2008 11:54:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo: the God of thunderbolt!

Well said

October 30, 2008 12:25:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,

I think it might be a good idea to have a section "Stardock Support" that is locked for comments by anyone but support.
On the surface that sounds good.  The problem that I see with that is folks wanting or needing help that the community can provide.  The poster winds up getting mad because no one is responding.  You can see posts all the time that it happens with.

Yes, a paradox. How is one to reply? "I dunno d'uh" doesn't seem adequate. I try (when I see no one's answered) to give the person a name to turn to.

I'm guilty also 2of3 and I should apologize as well so: Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

October 30, 2008 1:11:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Aside from that, I think it might be a good idea to have a section "Stardock Support" that is locked for comments by anyone but support.

We are looking into different ways of handling support forums, but regardless, other members should not try to antagonize or make an already frustrating situation worse with off-topic comments in a support thread.

October 30, 2008 1:18:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree, if ya can't contribute in a positive way, just move on.

October 30, 2008 6:57:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Also guilty as charged.I will go to great lengths to see that I do not repeat this mistake.And my apologies to support.

October 30, 2008 10:42:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's my turn.

I have been at Stardock for three years now. I can honestly say I really didn't know all that much and what I did learn a majority of it came from these forums. In the time I have been here we have brought in three more support guys. I always end up telling them the same thing "You can try to help but chances are the forums know more than you.". We come to you for answers, you just don't know we are looking. What I mean is even when I am lucky enough to answer something correctly and assist a customer I feel like I am just racing the clock against all of you fine folk that help out.

My hatred of internet forums is legendary (it's true; I purposefully crashed a certain schools forums, and then I did it again) and I feared the same here when I arrived. If was not apparent these days I might post a little too much at times. I like it here. What I love is that I know my department has the support of our customers. If it was solely up to us to give out help on the forums, well that would be like taking the gas out of the chainsaw. Sure I can beat the problem to death if I have to but I'm pretty sure it's more effective when all the parts work.

I'm sorry I promised I wouldn't cry..... 

In all seriousness though: Thank you. Thank you for making me proud of where I work and the job I do. That isn't lip service. For the problems that we face we all just need to do a little self policing. We can do this by ignoring those that are making the problem worse, suggest calming down and speaking rationally, remembering that one time... with that one site/telemarketer/waitress/taxi driver/car repair/or even support rep where you were so angry you said something about his mother or how her site really sucks.

This isn't a typical internet forum, it's an online community. They do exist.

My forum hate was redeemed, that means anyone has a shot.

Cheers to you and yours,

Seabass

October 31, 2008 9:13:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For my part, I usually try to help, but end up leaving folks more confused and befuddled than before.

It's a gift.

November 7, 2008 10:55:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Seabass -

Your arrival marked the beginning of a dramatic improvement in Stardock Support, a Seachange , if you will.

Your presence at Stardock & participation in these forums is greatly appreciated and any (p)raise you receive is well-deserved. 

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

November 10, 2008 1:58:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you very much for the kind words.

November 21, 2008 1:14:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Here's the first cry for help in this thread: Does anyone have even the slightest guess at what I could be doing wrong? I have recently downloaded Sins of a Solar Empire and find that I can't make the frustrating little bugger play on my laptop. It meets the minimum requirements, I updated my drivers and I have DirectX 9.0c. Do I have o save DorectX in a particular spot or what? I know my video card checks out, but I can't find the specs for my sound card. Any ideas or shots in the dark would be most appreciated, I really want to play this game and not have to go for a refund. Thanks all

November 25, 2008 10:32:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm glad you guys are thinking about guys like me, guys or gals, who don't have a lot of programming experience. Honestly after reading some posts I found that some were more discouraging than helpfull. The jokes or "comments" can make the person feel incompetent, or at least that's how I perceive it when putting myself in their shoes. I do believe this is a community and am glad to be a part of it. Thank you.

Hers's the post I was talking about. Seems there are a lot of replies to a simple question. LOL

http://forums.impulsedriven.com/330893

Thank you Stardock and all it's members for having helped me whenever I have posted. Kudos

November 25, 2008 6:18:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Here's the first cry for help in this thread: Does anyone have even the slightest guess at what I could be doing wrong?

MadMattezhion ...yes, you've posted in a specific thread refering to a different topic.

Post your question on a new thread, and title it 'Problem with Sins Install' and the appropriate assistence will come.  [I haven't Sins installed so am next to useless]....

I'm glad you guys are thinking about guys like me, guys or gals, who don't have a lot of programming experience. Honestly after reading some posts I found that some were more discouraging than helpfull. The jokes or "comments" can make the person feel incompetent, or at least that's how I perceive it when putting myself in their shoes. I do believe this is a community and am glad to be a part of it. Thank you.

skyzyk , yes, that's the reason for this thread.  We [including me] can often be guilty of mis-placed humour.... so it's better to simply leave it out of the equation when it's all about 'support'...

November 27, 2008 12:52:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

assistence

Zu, where are you?

December 8, 2008 2:52:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

THERE'S SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH 1.1 . I WAS PLAYING SINS ONLINE IN A MULTIPLAYER GAME WHEN ONE PERSON TOLD ME THAT HE WAS HITTIN ALL MY PLANETS BUT I DIDNT SEE HIS FLEET HIT ONE PLANET IN FACT  I WAS IN CONTROL OF MOST OF THE MAP AT THAT POINT IT WAS CLEAR THAT WE WERE NOT PLAYING THE SAME GAME 

HOW CAN THIS BE? PLEASE FIX IT

December 8, 2008 5:26:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This post is to tell you about the support forum, not to ask questions... Please create a new post in the correct support forum and your question will be looked at.

June 8, 2009 9:59:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey I'm in need of help. My PC, when i was deleting unknown filed, I guess somehow interrupted my Win Login Studio. When I start my computer it goes to my login studio front page where I should have to enter my password to login, and it just shows up as the background with no accounts. Seems like I must have deleted the application for the account logins. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and a couple of years ago I must have set a password in my startup set-up, so I can't get to my boot menu, and I can't get to my setup menu, otherwise I would have simply inserted my windows xp disk and booted my pc from that. I'm looking for any suggestions and I'm not afraid to lose any info on my computer, it's been months of trying.

June 8, 2009 10:19:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dust2356 ...you have posted in the wrong thread.

Your query will be better noticed/answered if it is in a thread of your own making...with the appropriate title.

If you are looking to bypass your admin login/password for the Windows OS there are programs available which can assist you.....simply Google 'admin password reset' ...

June 8, 2009 10:24:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Dust2356,
Hey I'm in need of help. My PC, when i was deleting unknown filed, I guess somehow interrupted my Win Login Studio. When I start my computer it goes to my login studio front page where I should have to enter my password to login, and it just shows up as the background with no accounts. Seems like I must have deleted the application for the account logins. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and a couple of years ago I must have set a password in my startup set-up, so I can't get to my boot menu, and I can't get to my setup menu, otherwise I would have simply inserted my windows xp disk and booted my pc from that. I'm looking for any suggestions and I'm not afraid to lose any info on my computer, it's been months of trying.

Ctrl-alt-delete twice to pull up the NT style logon.

(And what Jafo said.)

June 8, 2009 10:30:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dust2356,you may get better results making a separate post about this.Unplug your computer the pull your CMOS battery for ten minutes and that should clear your set-up password.I don't use XP so I am little help otherwise.Good Luck.

Edit: The Stardock crew is fast today. What they said.^^^^^^^^

October 19, 2009 11:56:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have been "stung" at the forums before for one thing or another. The last time was for putting my post in all caps. I didn't realize that was 'shouting' if it was the name of the post. I will avoid the support forums and stick with submitting a ticket to tech support  With all the rudeness in this world I don't want any more.

February 21, 2010 7:41:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I bought Object Dock Plus a few days ago and can't seem to be able to use an entry to access any of my internet based programs.  I have Firefox and a couple MMO's.  They start fine, but 5-10 seconds in they just lock up and I have to use the Task Manager to close them.  They work just fine when I access them though the Start Menu or personally activate the .exe file.  I've made these types of adjustments before with a Vista version of Mac's RocketLauncher and that worked great, so what am I doing wrong? (Example:I used this Link - "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe," this for the Arguments - "http://my.yahoo.com/,"  and this for the field Start In - "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" for my browser.  I made/edited all my entries by copying the location and .exe file and pasting it to the links.  Would anyone give me a hand and explain what I need to do to fix this?  I'm using Vista 32bit OS, 2.1Ghz, 3gig Ram, OD+ v1.9 b535u w/ 1 Tab & 1 Zoom Dock.

Sorry for copying my post and using it as a reply for this thread, but it's been a couple days and thought my question might be answered faster here.  (I'm obsessive/compulsive, so I really need closure  and the clock is ticking...   )  Any help is much appreciated.  

February 21, 2010 7:52:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This post is to tell you about the support forum, not to ask questions... Please create a new post in the correct support forum and your question will be looked at.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.