A Note About Uploading and Permissions

By on September 30, 2008 10:10:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+603

Hi all!

I just wanted to drop a quick note about uploading works to WinCustomize, especially in the wallpaper, DeskScapes, logon, and bootskin categories.  We have been seeing quite a few submissions that are not the original works of the person submitting it.  I don't think many of these are intentional, but I wanted to remind people that the works you submit must be your own, or with written permission for use.

Also, if you are using another persons work or stock images, you still need permission or a link to the site detailing how it is free to use.

Happy uploading!

Pinned Post 14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 23, 2008 7:36:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

November 23, 2008 8:41:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the reminder, ID!

November 24, 2008 10:38:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great point. I uploaded a right click Chrismas skin yesterday. It came back saying I needed permission to use other peoples graphics. All the graphics I made and would never think of using someone else's. I submitted it again with a permission txt in it. This was so someone would look at it. I asked to be advised what rules I have broken as I made  all the graphics. I'm really lost here as I did nothing wrong except to make something for the community.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 24, 2008 11:18:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great point. I uploaded a right click Chrismas skin yesterday. It came back saying I needed permission to use other peoples graphics. All the graphics I made and would never think of using someone else's. I submitted it again with a permission txt in it. This was so someone would look at it. I asked to be advised what rules I have broken as I made all the graphics. I'm really lost here as I did nothing wrong except to make something for the community.

I think it was missed the second time because it came back on the same calendar day and a different Mod (probably me) assumed it still needed an email because the original moderator forgot to note that he had sent you the first email. The snafu has been sorted and the skin is in the library.

Just to add to ID's post...if you include a note in the comments that all graphics are original or that permission text is included then it makes it easier for the Moderator to do his job.

November 24, 2008 2:48:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you Lantec. I did include a note in the second upload and said just that but guess it was just missed somehow. I have no problem going by the rules, but also have to know what I did that wasn't correct so I can make sure I don't do it again. You folks have enough to do without checking and checking so I want to try and do it correctly the first time. All straightened out now so agaqin thank you. Have a great holiday.

January 16, 2009 9:49:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

June 9, 2013 1:32:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have been trying to upload a couple of wallpapers that I created using Bryce6.3 but I always get an error like this "Error Saving File. (1)". What is causing this? I used to upload many wallpapers and a few of things, but somehow my user name was lost and I had to create a new profile. My other user name was "captkidd57". Need help, please.

June 9, 2013 1:44:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lantec,
Just to add to ID's post...if you include a note in the comments that all graphics are original or that permission text is included then it makes it easier for the Moderator to do his job.

Good info, something I seldom do, figured it was "a given."

I'll do better...

June 9, 2013 9:11:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting captkidd66,
I have been trying to upload a couple of wallpapers that I created using Bryce6.3 but I always get an error like this "Error Saving File. (1)". What is causing this? I used to upload many wallpapers and a few of things, but somehow my user name was lost and I had to create a new profile. My other user name was "captkidd57". Need help, please.

The most common issue is with the naming of the file/s ....alpha-numeric only....no !@ #$%^&*() , etc ....

June 10, 2013 10:18:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To Jafo;

There isn't anything wrong with the names of the files, for instance- Morning of Hunters Envy. That is one of the files I have been trying to upload. The image is a .jpg image, 1024x768 and 131kb in size. In the past I have uploaded many wallpaper files under my past user name, captkidd57, and have had no problems.

Don't know what is wrong, still need help.  Thanks Jafo

June 10, 2013 10:24:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You need to try different browsers, make sure you don't have ad-blockers used, latest versions of Flash installed, etc.

June 10, 2013 10:25:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ahh, that might be the problem Island Dog. I'll check my browser settings.

Thanks much

January 9, 2014 6:44:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Post updated.

February 10, 2014 12:02:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.