WindowBlinds vs MyColors

By on August 29, 2008 10:58:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Weidbrewer

Join Date 03/2006
+19
In advance, please forgive me if I missed something obvious.

I very much like the Sins of a Solar Empire theme in MyColors, and this morning I saw the SkinStudio for creating themes.   It appears that SkinStudio works with WindowBlinds which, so far as i can tell, does the same thing as MyColors.   What is the difference between these products?
20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 29, 2008 11:02:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
WindowBlinds allows you to change your Windows theme (wallpaper, taskbar, start panel, etc) MyColors changes more, it can change your entire desktop including icons and add gadgets.
August 29, 2008 11:07:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
In as few words as possible, My Colors is a one click change you total desktop experience type of program.

WindowsBlinds and the rest of the Stardock software are for people that want to pull elements together to create their own theme experience. More work than just using My Colors but it allows for your individual tastes.

Hope that helps. Come on back if you have more questions. Or go to the Stardock Home page in read about the software/products.

WWW Link
August 29, 2008 11:12:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Hope that helps. Come on back if you have more questions. Or go to the Stardock Home page in read about the software/products.

Well, I had gone there first, but it wasn't clear.

Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is - Will SkinStudio allow me to create total themes that can be used in MyColors...or is it more limited than that?
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 29, 2008 11:18:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
My Colors is for changing things.

SkinStudio is for creating things(WindowBlinds).
August 29, 2008 11:25:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Yes SkinStudio will allow you to do that, but you won't be able to load them with My Colors. You would need WindowBlinds.   
August 29, 2008 11:33:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
skinstudio is used to piece together images to create a windowblinds skin. it is not used to create icons packages, cursors, wallpapers, or gadgets.
August 29, 2008 11:38:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Yes SkinStudio will allow you to do that, but you won't be able to load them with My Colors. You would need WindowBlinds.

skinstudio is used to piece together images to create a windowblinds skin. it is not used to create icons packages, cursors, wallpapers, or gadgets.

Hmmm...seems to be some conflicting info.
August 29, 2008 5:32:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Both those statements are true, skinstudio will not create a windows theme usuable by MyColors. Skinstudio is used to create themes that Windowblinds can use.
August 29, 2008 7:47:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
MyColors is proprietary (you can't make your own MyColors theme, only Stardock can). It's used as something for the newer people to quickly and easily change their entire desktop with one package. It contains OEM versions of Windowblinds and Iconpackager so the entire theme can be applied (this is why it costs more than a regular premium suite, the applications are already included). The MyColors themes are pre-packaged sets for those who want a quick change without having to sort through a bunch of matching skins.

Windowblinds, the application MyColors is based on, will allow you to use ANY of the skins in the Windowblinds gallery here on WC, or on other sites like deviantart. With SkinStudio, you can create Windowblinds skins that you can apply through Windowblinds, but they won't work with MyColors since that's a proprietary format.
August 30, 2008 9:45:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Well, that's unfortunate. I had been pretty interested in SkinStudio, but it looks like it's too limited. I guess I'll stick to SD's kick-ass games. Thanks for the help.
August 30, 2008 12:05:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I had been pretty interested in SkinStudio, but it looks like it's too limited.
What were you interested in doing?
If you wanted to create icons Stardock has IconDeveloper (and icons can be applied with IconPackager).  Cursors can be packaged with CursorFX.  OBjectDock applies docks . .etc.

Take a look around teh WC wiki.  It might give you a good idea of what is available.
August 30, 2008 8:35:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
MyColors is just a "crippled" version of windowblinds
for me. An attempt from stardock to grab you more money,
by pushing you to buy all the themes you want to use.
August 30, 2008 8:40:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
MyColors is just a "crippled" version of windowblinds for me. An attempt from stardock to grab you more money, by pushing you to buy all the themes you want to use.

How so? It's an alternative for people who just want to change their complete theme in one easy step without having to worry about how it works, getting all the appropriate software, skins, etc. MyColors is aimed at a different demographic than ODNT is (basic users vs power users).
August 30, 2008 8:51:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I have both installed, and since i put in my colors a while back, i cant remember the last time i used windowblinds, other than to make a "My colors" skin darker or lighter, or increase or decrease the opaqueness, i jokingly call My Colors lazy mans windowblinds, either way they both work and it depends how ambitious i am that particular day on what i am gonna use, but my colors kinda has me changing themes constantly, maybe i am spoiled, who knows but i love both of them
August 30, 2008 9:34:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well, that's unfortunate. I had been pretty interested in SkinStudio, but it looks like it's too limited.

SkinStudio is for creating skins for WindowBlinds(no easy task),not for changing anything!
WindowBlinds is just one element of a theme. What's so confusing about that?
August 30, 2008 10:36:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I love both Mycolors and windowsblinds...

I say its fairly hard to have both though makes my mind a little crazy on deciding which gallery to browse for customization stuff...

That and the fact that MYcolors are Awesome but at least 10$ bucks.... I am not a millionaire so I can't have the resources to "GET" whatever I'd want from Mycolors.

That and Mycolors is newer and has a lot smaller library to choose from than normal Windowsblinds..

so yeah its hard.. I do like both though cause Mycolors is great changing everything at once instead of just the taskbar and Windowsblinds could have most any blind I could think of wanting to find

those are my thoughts..

Anne
August 30, 2008 11:43:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
@AnneMarie
I am not a millionaire so I can't have the resources to "GET" whatever I'd want from Mycolors.

ha ha , the fact is that almost all theme available for MyColors, need to be paid.
I believe that's the intent of the software : they want you to pay as much as possible themes.

I do like both though cause Mycolors is great changing everything at once instead of just the taskbar and Windowsblinds could have most any blind I could think of wanting to find

Is that hard to use windowblind & icon packager ?
The gadgets provided are pointless.

By the way, I tried MyColor, and immediately uninstalled it , because I didn't like it.
After that , windowblinds couldn't work anymore, and I got to re-install it.
However the theme "think green" stayed available inside windowblinds.

August 31, 2008 9:20:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
i recently quit smoking two packs a day at 6 bucks a pack here in Mass, so i use that money to buy my colors themes, much safer and it doesnt effect my health, but i do miss my butts,coffee, and drinking and smoking them while i use my pc
September 2, 2008 4:09:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

SkinStudio is for creating skins for WindowBlinds(no easy task),not for changing anything!
WindowBlinds is just one element of a theme. What's so confusing about that?

Well, considering the comment of mine that you quoted was from the point where I understood, I'd say, "nothing."

September 2, 2008 4:09:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i recently quit smoking two packs a day

I miss my little white tube friends as well.  Congrats on quitting.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.