Mods are the gestapo of most forums.

By on May 20, 2008 6:05:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

TheDarkKnig...

Join Date 04/2007
+16

I just got banned from Steam forums, because I made a topic they deemed trolling (It was an obvious topic), then I made another topic asking why it was trolling.

I got banned due to that.

I'm sorry, but if people consider my post trolling, why don't they have the right to tell me why?

If I keep getting treated like this by gestapo mods, I won't buy from them.

And it's not like they won't notice:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zellio/games

Their are obviously rules you should follow, rules in any forum.  I don't mind that.  But to ask people why your post was trolling and a mod doesn't allow you, then perma bans you, is another.

That's gestapo mod behaviour.  Mods don't run forums, people do.

31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 20, 2008 6:42:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I just got banned from Steam forums, because I made a topic they deemed trolling (It was an obvious topic), then I made another topic asking why it was trolling.I got banned due to that.

I don't know their Rules, but maybe if you PM or email a moderator or an admin, Keep calm and be polite (avoid terms like "gestapo") and you should get an answer.

Mods don't run forums, people do.

Mods are people too

May 20, 2008 6:45:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I did. They didn't listen. They then did this:

You have been banned for the following reason:
Banned by request, repeatedly continuing closed threads, obnoxious attitude.

If their gonna act like gestapo, then they'll be called gestapo.

If I act like an ass, I'll respect being punished. But people have the right to tell me why. Mods shouldn't run forums like gestapo.

In real life, you have rights. So do others. If an officer arrests you, people must explain why they thought you acted wrongly.

On the internet, mods are law.
May 20, 2008 6:53:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I'm sorry, but if I'm gonna buy from a company, I expect rights.

If I do wrong, I should be punished. But I expect that I have the same rights as a mod.

If a company won't supply me those rights, I will vote with my wallet.
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 20, 2008 7:48:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There's a lot of misconceptions about rights.

Generally websites have posted rules....'terms of use' outlining what is and is not acceptable behaviour.

A site's 'mods' or admins are the parties responsible for determining whether such rules have been appropriately adhered to.

If they have not there will be an accepted [by the site] procedure to address that.

It looks like in your case you must have transgressed said stated rules sufficiently to have your further access denied.

Life's like that.  You do wrong...you get a slap.

Calling such mods/admins 'gestapo' is neither rare nor original and decidedly NOT creative.  It is the bane of all rule makers/umpires to be called that or worse, no matter what facet of life's society it entails.  'Kill the umpire"..."referee's blind", etc.

Nothing new.

Call them Gestapo if it makes you feel better.  It won't change the situation other than to reaffirm [in their minds] that the correct action was taken....

May 20, 2008 8:27:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
When anyone brings up images/words of the Third Reich, they already have lost.

May 20, 2008 8:29:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm sorry, but if I'm gonna buy from a company, I expect rights.

The right to use the product and the right to post on the forums are two very very different things.  When you buy a Steam game, all you get is the ability to play the game.  Posting on the forums just requires a free account, so it has nothing to do with your purchase.

Not being able to post to a forum doesn't limit your use of the game.  It doesn't disable features in the game.  Thus the two aren't connected by the dollars you spend on the games.

May 20, 2008 8:40:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I doubt their going to miss one persons purchases.. I also doubt you were banned for illegitimate reasons. Reminds me a bit of my kids screaming " but i didnt do anything wrong!!!   "
May 20, 2008 8:58:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
But people have the right to tell me why.

it also means they have the right not to tell you
May 20, 2008 8:58:57 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
You were obviously obnoxious enough that they felt the need to get rid of you. Perhaps you need to reevaluate your own posting behavior.

As for "rights", you don't actually have any "rights" on a forum. They're privately owned and run and they can boot you or anyone else any time they like. Get over it.
May 20, 2008 9:56:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I wasn't there. I didn't see. I can't pass judgment on you or them. But, I will say this, I used to be a mod. I never banned anyone without at least one warning. And even when I did most bans where temporary. Let me say this:

1) If a thread or post of yours gets locked or deleted. DON'T MAKE A THREAD OR POST ABOUT IT! If the first one was bad, why would you think a second is a good idea!?! You're not going to spur a community uprising. Most of the mods have been members of the forums they are mod'ing for a long time. So they already have the support of most of the community there.

2) If you have an issue with the way a forum is being mod'ed...PM the mods. Most of the time I had a chance to talk with someone 1-on-1 it just turned out to be a simple misunderstanding of the rules. People join so many forums, they forget each one has it's one quirks and procedures sometimes.

3) If your new to a forum, look around a bit before you click that new topic button. If you don't odds are you're either going to post in the wrong spot or you're post something that's not allowed. If you're not sure about posting something, PM a mod.

4) Mods are not going to respond to your every PM instantly. Most aren't getting paid. So, expect them to take some time getting back to you. I'm sure you have something else you could be doing in the meantime.
May 20, 2008 10:15:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
It's very easy, don't post anyplace that you think or feel that they may ban you.   

The down side to that is where will you post that will allow you to continue with your unwanted behavior?  
May 20, 2008 10:40:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
......is this the sequel to your 'what the hell is wrong with people today?'

May 20, 2008 10:42:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
........i decided to tape my mouth and spend time in my padded cell instead of leaving a comment.....
May 20, 2008 10:59:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Mods are the gestapo of most forums

That seems a bit harsh...
May 20, 2008 11:02:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
......is this the sequel to your 'what the hell is wrong with people today?'

Ah, just might be that your have made a correct observation kitty.

........i decided to tape my mouth and spend time in my padded cell instead of leaving a comment.....

Oh go ahead, no fun in holding back.   

May 20, 2008 11:13:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Say what you need to say...
May 20, 2008 11:20:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
is this the sequel to your 'what the hell is wrong with people today?

I knew I smelled "I'm whining" in this thread, now I know why.
Don't bother telling him that he should have done x instead of y. He'll twist it all around again.

TROLL!!!
May 20, 2008 11:44:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I would consider being banned a personal matter and should have been handled as such.Coming here to complain about another sites actions is not only unnecessary,but a bit immature,imo.You don't have to agree with any Mod, but rules are the same for everyone.

100% agreement with that.
Don't bother telling him that he should have done x instead of y. He'll twist it all around again.

That too.
May 20, 2008 11:47:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I knew I smelled "I'm whining" in this thread

What's that smell like there Phoon?  
May 20, 2008 12:15:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
What's that smell like there Phoon?

May 20, 2008 12:37:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
If their gonna act like gestapo, then they'll be called gestapo.

I wasn't in Germany in the 40's(and doubt you were either) but served there in the Army in the 70's.They are fine,proud people who would love to put this dark past behind them. I also know my history. When they come to your door at 3 am and take your family and computer away, then post this BS. Dark Knight, it sounds like you need to get a grip on reality.
.i decided to tape my mouth and spend time in my padded cell instead of leaving a comment.....

Your turn,kitty.
May 20, 2008 1:08:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Too true!! And tarring mods/anyone with the Gestapo brush will win you no friends here... it's a deplorable name and should never be tied to anyone to describe/justify how you feel, regardless of the circumstances.
May 20, 2008 1:38:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Yeah, next thing you know us mods will be invading Belgium... 
May 20, 2008 1:43:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Yeah, next thing you know us mods will be invading Belgium...

mmm... chocolate   
May 20, 2008 3:21:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

exactly my thought when I realized the name of the OP.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.