Changing the Windows Cursor with CursorFX

Use your own custom cursors!

By on April 16, 2008 7:11:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+574

I have been getting quite a few messages lately from people wanting to know how to change their Vista cursors.  Many of them are still using CursorXP, and I guess maybe the CursorFX news just hasn't reached everyone yet.  No big deal though, lets go through the steps on getting some custom cursors on your Windows desktop.

What is CursorFX?

CursorFX is the successor to the highly popular CursorXP application.  I think it's safe to say CursorXP was the top choice when needing to apply custom created cursors to your desktop, and with millions of downloads from sites like Download.com, I think many would agree.

CursorXP was great, but it was showing some age and with future Windows updates coming along, it was time to develop a suitable replacement.  In comes CursorFX.  CursorFX is not just an update to CursorXP, it's a completely new application that works with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. 

It's available in both a free version, and a Plus version for $9.99.  The free version has a wide variety of features such as full anti-aliased cursors, 32-bit alpha blended, animations, theme editor, new user interface, and more.  The Plus version adds to that with special effects, cursor colorization, cursor sizing, transparency, and much more.

Changing Your Cursor Theme

If you downloaded the free version, you just install from the file that was downloaded.  If you purchased CursorFX Plus you can always find your download in your Stardock account here.  So once it's installed, start the application and you will see the main configuration screen.

By clicking the magnifying glass icon on the right of the selection, it will bring up the full preview of all the included cursor states.  It will even preview the animations so you can see exactly what the cursor looks like.In the center of the window you see the list of currently installed cursor themes. 

CursorFX by default comes with several themes included, but I will also show you where to get more later in the article. You can simply browse the list of cursor themes by scrolling through the list, and when you find one you like, just double-click the selection or hit the Apply button.  That will automatically change your cursor to the selected one.

Special Effects

CursorFX adds many features including special effects and trails.  In the main configuration window on the left side, you have a list of additional features like effects and trails.

You can select different cursor actions and states, and apply the available effects to that selection.  It's a great way to add some more customization to your cursor theme.

Getting More Themes

CursorFX includes several high quality cursors, but no need to limit yourself to those.  There are hundreds available on WinCustomize.com, and remember that CursorFX cursors are compatible with CursorFX.

There are some really great cursors available in the CursorFX gallery, so be sure to browse through and see all the great works.

Link: CursorFX gallery on WinCustomize

Download: Stardock's CursorFX

Screencast: Changing Cursors With CursorFX

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 16, 2008 7:15:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Another good overview ID.   
April 16, 2008 7:28:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
If I have cursor xp, can I upgrade to cursor FX? I'm sure this was already addressed but, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks
April 16, 2008 7:41:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
If you click on the download link it will take you to CursorFX home page. I see discounts for Plus version but didn't see any discount going from CursorXP to CursorFX.
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 16, 2008 7:43:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well you didn't ask about discounts did you?   
April 16, 2008 8:24:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Great article ID, you'll help a lot of people and now I'll be refering here to everyone who asks me haha
April 16, 2008 8:51:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Thanks ID
April 17, 2008 8:21:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If I have cursor xp, can I upgrade to cursor FX? I'm sure this was already addressed but, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

If you have CursorFX Plus, you can upgrade for $9.95.  There are also discounts for Object Desktop subscribers, just see the link below. 

http://www.stardock.com/products/cursorfx/purchase.asp

April 18, 2008 6:18:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Thanks ID  Oh yeah,   you rock!
June 13, 2010 8:55:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have had CursorFX for a long tie but it never works for me. Every time I open it and click on it to change my cursor it freezes up. Can you help with this problem? I love this program but haven't been able to use it.

June 13, 2010 10:46:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting punkinboop,
I have had CursorFX for a long tie but it never works for me. Every time I open it and click on it to change my cursor it freezes up. Can you help with this problem? I love this program but haven't been able to use it.

You should start a thread in the Support section, and email support@stardock.com. Those would probably be better ways of getting support than on this thread....

Not that people don't want to help, it's just not the best place to do it.

June 13, 2010 10:59:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

punkinboop, do you know what version you have? I had the same issue with the  previous free version, which required many, many reinstalls (12+) as it worked for awhile then would freeze up. The newest version has been totally trouble free. I recommend updating to it if possible.

Try uninstalling with Impulse ,run CCleaner or similar,reboot then reinstall. Note that the uninstaller will leave so much behind that it may not install properly, resulting in a freeze up on first use as was the case more times than I kept track of.

For the best results, I used Revo uninstaller,set on Moderate instead of Impulse or Add/Remove Programs. Let it scan after the uninstall, then delete only the items marked in bold print.

June 13, 2010 11:02:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good advice as usual, Doc. I thought I would would share my experience here though. There are threads about this same issue but I was too lazy ( I haven't had my coffee) to go looking for them.

June 13, 2010 11:20:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nothing worse than lazy Wizards....they're real 'creampoofs'. 

February 3, 2014 11:23:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Updated with new screenshots and info.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.