IconDeveloper 2.0 available

Make your icons Vista-ready!

By on March 17, 2008 11:55:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1115

Windows Vista introduced a whole new icon format based on 256-256 sized icons.  Stardock IconDeveloper 2.0 is a complete rewrite of the popular icon creation utility. Designed to make manipulating batches of icons a snap, IconDeveloper 2 can turn PNGs and other types of files into icons easily as well as take existing icons and make them Vista-ready.

For those of you running Windows Vista, you probably have already seen programs that look odd on your desktop due to them not supporting high resolution icons (Vista will place a 48x48 icon insize of a 256x256 box on the desktop).  With IconDeveloper, users can quickly edit those icons and create 256x256 icons relatively easily.  The ObjectDock gallery on WinCustomize.com already contains high resolution PNGs for nearly every program imaginable. Combined with IconDeveloper, users can now make their desktops spectacular.

IconDeveloper is a free download. An enhanced version supports additional file types.  IconDeveloper is part of Object Desktop presently (it will become part of Object Desktop Ultimate next month).

Download: http://www.icondeveloper.com

Screenshots:

19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 17, 2008 1:37:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Works like a treat!

Congrats to SD on another sweet release!
March 17, 2008 12:56:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
IconDeveloper is a free download. An enhanced version supports additional file types.
What exactly is ment by this? Is this something that is going to be available to current OD subscribers? (Sorry if the program page explains this, I haven't checked it yet)
March 17, 2008 1:49:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
So ..If I have Full Object Desktop ... do I still have to pay for it ... or do I automatically get the whole Program ? ....
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 17, 2008 2:01:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Thank you, Stardock! The hard work which goes into the updates is greatly appreciated!
March 17, 2008 2:10:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Thank you,   
March 17, 2008 3:18:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
So ..If I have Full Object Desktop ... do I still have to pay for it ... or do I automatically get the whole

Mike you get the non-enhanced version with Object Desktop.  
March 17, 2008 2:21:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Philly, I agree , But I see it in my menu and I keep getting a popup to buy it ...
March 17, 2008 2:25:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
The Alienware Indaver Icons on the screenshot look different than those released in the past. Is the something in the making? Screenshots always do give a snek preview of yet to come. Talk To Me!
March 17, 2008 2:59:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
So ..If I have Full Object Desktop ... do I still have to pay for it ... or do I automatically get the whole Program ? ....

IconDeveloper is part of Object Desktop, so you should be able to download it through SDC.

March 17, 2008 3:24:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I have been disappointed in the image quality of the .ico files that IconDeveloper produces compared to the original .png image, will this change if I pay for the enhanced version?

Thanks-

March 17, 2008 4:53:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
This is the best works like a champ! I like it a lot... Thanks Stardock! SGT  
March 17, 2008 6:07:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I might start with Icons
March 18, 2008 1:12:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Like Elsius Saint said, these aren't the same alienware invader icons that i've seen before. Are you reamaking invader, or a new alienware suite? Or just messing with us...
March 18, 2008 9:09:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have been disappointed in the image quality of the .ico files that IconDeveloper produces compared to the original .png image, will this change if I pay for the enhanced version?

During the BETA there was a release that produced poor quality icons.  We have since fixed that issue, so please give the final release code a try (the Trial or Enhanced version) and let me know if you are still disappointed.

Thanks!

March 18, 2008 10:08:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Mike you get the non-enhanced version with Object Desktop.
Philly, The Icon Developer Information page states the enhanced version is part of OD. The test below is copied from that page. "The enhanced version is part of Object Desktop, Stardock's premiere suite of desktop enhancement programs that let you customize Windows to look, feel, and function how you want it to. Object Desktop is only $49.95 and includes IconDeveloper plus WindowBlinds, DesktopX, IconPackager, and more!"
March 18, 2008 11:12:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I stand corrected, thanks angus.   
March 18, 2008 12:03:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Were the resample and dithering options removed on this version?
March 18, 2008 2:11:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Thank you - I'm happy to report that there is a definite improvement in the image quality with IconDeveloper 2.0.

I've been replacing all of the icons I had made previously.

March 19, 2008 7:36:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Like Elsius Saint said, these aren't the same alienware invader icons that i've seen before. Are you reamaking invader, or a new alienware suite? Or just messing with us...

hmmm...no comment.  Guess you will just have to wait and see. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.