A Tutorial/fix for recoloring Icon packages

"""Without having to Rebuild new Icon packs"""

By on February 28, 2008 2:31:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

HG_Eliminator

Join Date 07/2002
+354
Since IconDeveloper and Iconpackager's recent difficulties working together. ( trying to recolor a package with ID makes the Iconlibrary unreadable by Iconpackager).

I have devised a way to still be able to recolor Icon packages,with as little difficulty as possible. As well as not having to totally rebuild the icon packages from scratch.

To recolor Icon packages without rebuilding the package. First open iconpackager and select settings, In the "saving icon packages" section make sure to tick the "save package as individual icons" box and apply. (This will give you Icons to recolor out side of an ICL and tell IP to use these individual icons instead of using the ICL).

Then select the IP you want to recolor and apply it. After it has applied press ctrl-s or go to the tool bar at top and under "file" use the "save: option. (This will actually have IconPackager extract the icons from the Icon library and place all individual icons within the icon packs folder.)

There are many ways to recolor them, I will detail the 2 easiest.

#1: SkinStudio5 batch processing.

Now,If you have SKS5 you can open them all up with batch processing. Open Sks, then click "file", in the menu select "Batch processing", in the sub menu select "Recolor images in a folder" and click. Within the selection window that opens two selections will apperar. In "source folder"Browse to the folder where the icons are you wish to recolor and press ok. Do the exact same for "target folder",

Target and source folders must be the exact same location for this to work properly, (saving to another folder will save the recolored icons to somewhere else and the iconpackage will not see them.) After you have done this click "next". Now SKS will open the icons in the recoloring window. Recolor your icons as you wish and press "OK" this will save the recolored icons.

Now you can open Icon packager and apply the freshly recolored package

#2: Icon Developer.

Open Icon developer and select recolor icons . then find the icons you wanted recolored and select them all. In the next window that opens select the same folder your icons are in, this way they will be seen by the Iconpackager later and press OK. Now the icons will open in the ID recoloring window (they will be recolored one at a time but they are all loaded), recolor the first icon and press "apply" then press next. You will now see the next icon appear to be recolored, repeat this process until you have reached the last icon to be recolored and the finish button appears, recolor the last icon and press finish.

Now you can open Iconpackager and apply your freshly recolored icons

Hope this helps.

HG

Versions #s of the programs used are as follows.

IconPackager: 3.20(a) rc(.033)

SkinStudio5: 5.0.1 Build 1112

IconDeveloper: 1.9.7.0

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 15, 2008 2:25:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
With so many icon packages out there I haven't ever found the need to recolor any of them yet. But want to mark this thread just in case.
March 15, 2008 2:49:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
want to mark this thread just in case.

Me too.... Thanks HG!
March 15, 2008 2:51:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Thank you so much, HG! This is an extraordinarily well-written tutorial. I like how you not only described the steps in a clear, concise manner, but you also explained exactly what the program does as a result of each action. That makes it easier to understand. I also, appreciate that you listed the specific versions of each program used in the tutorial. So often when I have searched the forums for help and read various tutorials, I have wondered whether the information was still pertinent for the current versions of programs. So thanks again for such an outstanding tutorial! Cheers . . . Wanda
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 15, 2008 3:13:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
There was a batch process added to IconDeveloper 2.0 that allows you to recolor collections of icons and also one to recolor a group of icons and only having to apply changes to one and then have them applied to all.
March 15, 2008 3:43:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
There was a batch process added to IconDeveloper 2.0 that allows you to recolor collections of icons and also one to recolor a group of icons and only having to apply changes to one and then have them applied to all.

As of today ID still breaks the ICL's and renders them in able to be used by Icon Packager, when you try to Batch recolor an ICL. ID only works for coloring the Icons after they have been extracted form the ICL.  As decribed in the tut.

I wish it was that easy again..
March 15, 2008 4:06:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
It worked. I coppied all the organic icons to a test folder on my desktop. Next in Icon Developer I selected File/Batch Processing/ReColor Icons in a Folder.

Then I drilled down to the test folder I created and selected ALL the icons in that folder by using the 'shift key' held down.

I changed the colors, but it took a while on this slow machine as it does them all together. When I was done it asked me if I wanted to apply the changes and I clicked yes or apply.

Next I opened Icon Packager, clicked on Install New Package and drilled down to my test folder. There was a new .iconpackager file there from my recoloring scanario. I chose it and voila, I now have Organic_GunMetal icons loaded here.

Sorry about the confusing process but the sw kind of dictates that.

Cheers, f

March 15, 2008 4:24:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Cool..... ID used to work for Directly Recoloring all the Icons in an ICL and with one easy step could recolor Icon packages on the fly.

But lately it seems to render the ICL unable to be read by IP.  Hopefully it will be fixed soon
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.