Bootskin problem (bug

How can I skip bootskin from Windows' recovery console?

By on March 12, 2007 12:10:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

asm124

Join Date 03/2007
Hi,
Well, I have been using bootskin for some time, I like it so much, so I decided to make a bootskin. So, I have this bootskin I made, and I tried in in bootskin's preview screen and it looks just fine, but when I restarted my PC, Windows crashes.
I have read someone had the same problem but no one helped, they said that "he is trying to blame others for his own mistakes", "it must be a driver problem", and other things that don't help.

So I want to know how to disable bootskin from the recovery console.

I know you may think that bootskin is perfect, but no program is, that's why I want this "bug" be reviewed.

If you want to download the bootskin I had problems with, here is the link:

WWW Link

I'm not responsable for the harm this bootskin may cause to your PC, download it AT YOUR OWN RISK, this bootskin MAY AND WILL make your PC CRASH, and the ONLY WAY to make it work again would be:

a) To disable bootskin from the recovery console. (I hope there's a way)
To FORMAT your PC and REINSTALL windows.

You have been warned

And if you download it, just do the usual. (I suggest you make a disk image to make the system's recovery easier) Load it in to your bootskin, press preview to see it, then close everything and then restart your PC, mine could restart only once, the second time it crashed.

Well I hope someone may help with this problem.
10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 2, 2007 9:00:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
OMG.
Take no notice people....this guys obviously a noob PC user.
Looks like he does things the(very)long way round. LOL.

There is no need to use the recovery console to repair an OS (windows) that will not boot due to a dodgy bootskin run.
And most deffinately no need to freakin format and re-install your OS, thats crazy S**T.
Its a 3 key press 5 second process,,,,,,job done.

And it goes like this.......derrrr......during 'POST' (power on self tests) which is the period your bios runs its hardware checks b4 booting from your OS/HDD, you need to hit your relevant F key (bios's vary) to bring up your menu for safe mode boot and the simply choose the 'last good know configuration' (or similar worded option) with your arrow keys, hit 'enter',,,,,job done,,,,,now your OS will boot with its last known boot screen that worked. Its as simple as that and if your doing any more,,,,tut tut, LOL.

If you cant find your F key for the menu then just keep rebooting your PC and it may automatically (and should) give you the menu, if it doesnt after 5+ reboots then hit the reset button or cut the power to the machine just before the point where it crashes and do that 5+ times then leave it to try and boot fully and it should deffinately give you the menu.
Either way, every bios has this option so its down to you to find it and use it.

Freakin format n install, OMG.
April 2, 2007 9:09:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
asm124.....this gadget may help you if you wish to continue making boots........Bootskin Buddy
April 2, 2007 3:49:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
asm124.....this gadget may help you if you wish to continue making boots........Bootskin Buddy

Try this problem.........  
A few months back i started using bootskin. For the 1st week i was fiddling with different skins untill i got bored of fiddling and stuck with one i liked (vista blue to go with my vista blue logon and vista windowblind).
Recently i had PC issues (not related) and as a clean install was in mind prior to the issues anyway i decided to clean install my OS and did.

So after the usual drivers and security software put on after the clean install i install BootSkin on C:, import a skin (from another drive) preview it (ok), apply it (ok), reboot, and the default skin appears not my selected one.
Ive tried all versions of Bootskin, all do the same. So i defaulted my bios settings, no good, ive tweaked my bios settings, no good.
I dont have LogonStudio or WindowBlinds installed now just BootSkin.

As the version i had before worked im puzzled. I have no new hardware, my machine hasnt changed.
I know BootSkin doesnt work with some bios but it did with mine before my clean XP install, and a havent changed my bios version, just the settings have been played with.

So what the hell has changed to make it not work?
Please, someone help me out here as i love my modded bootskins (i didnt realise how much till they were gone).
Does anyone know something else i might try?

Heeeeeeelp!
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 2, 2007 7:28:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Hi,

Thank you for your help. I didn't knew this Bootskinbuddy tool, so I was making the bootskins "my own way".

By the way, I posted this because on my PC, even I used the Menus "last good know configuration" it keeped rebooting and displaying the blue screen error message, and I think that if it happened to me, it could have happened to some other people.

I just think that if a you make a bootskin and it is not "usable", then bootskin shouldn't let you use it until it has been corrected.

PS: I'm not a noob on PCs, but errors may affect experienced users too.
April 2, 2007 7:38:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
All you have to do is press F8 when the BIOS flashes, boot into safemode, and disable Bootskin. No need to go into the recovery console or any of that nonsense.
April 3, 2007 12:38:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Try this problem.........

sorry....you'll have to wait 'til someone far more knowledgeable comes along....
you have, however, made me very nervous of my impending clean install....  
good luck with it, I'll also be watching for an answer in case I have probs.......
June 11, 2007 7:46:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
When I Use the Bootskin App to change the skin then reboot to check it , I notice that I can still see the original win xp bootscreen , just for a second then the one i switched to comes on . . .is there away around this prob . . or does it happen with everyone lol.
June 11, 2007 8:05:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
. . . I can still see the original win xp bootscreen , just for a second then the one i switched to comes on . . .
There is no way around it. 
June 11, 2007 9:55:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I agree with Bebi, hit F8 during bootup and enter safe mode when prompted, login and disable bootskin or select another bootskin that you know worked without any problems previously.
Messing with recovery console just takes too long, rebooted the 'puter into safe mode is fast, fixes the problem, no software to uninstall and no harddrive to format.

Entering windows safe mode is actually a great way to clean up virus & spyware infections on your pc. Don't run your spyware & virus scanners in windows regular mode, reboot into safe mode and run those malware scanners, you will definitely catch & fix more malware related problems.

asm124, bootskin will not verify if your bootskin was created properly - that responsibility lies with the author who creates the bootskin. I will download your bootskin when I get a chance and I'll see what the problem might be (resolution, using a color palette with more than 16 colors, progress bar & bkgrnd image don't share the same 16 color palette, progress bar runs off the edge of the screen, etc.), there could be several things causing this problem. The quick peek I had at it shows the progress bar running pretty close to the bottom right corner of the screen and very close to the right edge, that could be causing bootskin to bluescreen on your pc, I like to keep my progress bars away from any of the edges as I've seen a few bluescreens at my end when placing the progress bar close to the edges.
August 12, 2007 12:48:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
hey i have the same problem and i know how to get your computer to stop showing that blue screen.

1. you need to go restart your computer and then press f8

2. use your arrow keys to go to safe mode with networking or just safe mode

3. then once it loads press ctrl, alt,del and type your username and password

4. click bootskin shortcut on desktop

5. disable bootskin and restart computer
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000688   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.