Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Dream Submission Guidelines

By on February 21, 2007 12:10:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1120

As the # of animated wallpapers submitted increases, we're having to establish some guidelines on what is and isn't going to be accepted:

1. Content MUST loop. An animated wallpaper should have a reasonably transitioning loop.
  2. Do NOT submit content other people's work without their permission. We are allowing some leeway right now on this rule for content that is based on content distributed on the net until we determine the legality of this.
  3. Content must be high-definition. That means the vertical resolution needs to be at least 720 pixels.

Additional rules on fair use of video clips:

Fair Use allows for the limited reuse of copyrighted material so long as it is not done for financial gain of the person reusing the work, nor does it financially harm the original author by denying them sales etc.  In the case of Dream animated wallpapers, users can make limited reuse of video files created by other authors provided they meet the following requirements:

1. The animations used in the .Dream file is either 15 seconds in length of shorter OR less than 25% of the original video file in length (whichever is shorter).  So if you found a 20 second video you want to use in a Dream, you can use no more than 5 seconds of that video.  Anything else, you are limited to 15 seconds.
  2. You provide credit to the original author in the skin comments AND provide a link to your original source.
  3. Understand that if the original owner of the work asks us to take it down, provided proof of ownership, we will comply immediately.
Failure to comply with these fair use rules will result in an item being rejected from the submission queue. 

If you find your work is being redistributed here against your wishes, please contact a site admin with some form of proof that you own the original work, and we will remove the offending entry immediately.
Pinned Post 49 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 21, 2007 12:19:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Do submit content other people's work without their permission.

Typo...I assume you meant do NOT submit.
February 21, 2007 12:43:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Another great move by Stardocks! Thank you for implementing some regulations... at first it was not a big deal (and honestly we all wanted to get our greedy little hands on *whatever* we can find) but now and in the future it would be ideal to host only .Dream files that are of decent quality. Keep up the good work and tell Microsoft to release their final product already!!
February 21, 2007 1:32:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Fixed and thanks for the heads up on the typo!
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 21, 2007 2:26:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As the # of animated wallpapers submitted increases, we're having to establish some guidelines on what is and isn't going to be accepted:

1. Content MUST loop. An animated wallpaper should have a reasonably transitioning loop.

2. Do NOT submit content other people's work without their permission. We are allowing some leeway right now on this rule for content that is based on content distributed on the net until we determine the legality of this.

3. Content must be high-definition. That means the vertical resolution needs to be at least 720 pixels.

With respect for the creators of dreams:

"Content must loop", so even material with a jerky loop is allowed?   
February 21, 2007 2:35:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
"Content must loop", so even material with a jerky loop is allowed?

My friend I think you missed the second part of that quote. "Content must loop. An animated wallpaper should have a reasonably transitioning loop"

The way I read it, Dreams that loop horribly from the last frame to the first will not be allowed.

Technically, ANY video used as a background WILL loop... after all, the video ends at the last frame and begins again at frame 1. If this is not considered a loop by all means correct me (and I'm not being sarcastic, please do).

All that being said, the first regulation stated above simply implies that if a .Dream wallpaper does not transition from the last frame of the video to the first frame adequately, then it will not be accepted.

Yosmel
February 21, 2007 2:52:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Yosmel, thank you for your statement and I agree with it.

I hope that the main-page of this dream-portal will show only material which complies with this statement  

(Excuse my English sometimes, not my native language).

February 21, 2007 3:00:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I hope that the main-page of this dream-portal will show only material which complies with this statement

And I second that statement! I cant wait to see how this DreamScene content and it's community will expand in the coming months. I've never been so excited about a single Windows feature.

Yosmel
February 26, 2007 7:37:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Appended rules for Fair Use:

Fair Use allows for the limited reuse of copyrighted material so long as it is not done for financial gain of the person reusing the work, nor does it financially harm the original author by denying them sales etc.  In the case of Dream animated wallpapers, users can make limited use of video files created by other authors provided they meet the following requirements:

1. The animations used in the .Dream file is either 15 seconds in length of shorter OR less than 25% of the original video file in length (whichever is shorter).  So if you found a 20 second video you want to use in a Dream, you can use no more than 5 seconds of that video.  Anything else, you are limited to 15 seconds.
  2. You provide credit to the original author in the skin comments AND provide a link to your original source.
  3. Understand that if the original owner of the work asks us to take it down, provided proof of ownership, we will comply immediately.
Failure to comply with these fair use rules will result in an item being rejected from the submission queue. 

If you find your work is being redistributed here against your wishes, please contact a site admin with some form of proof that you own the original work, and we will remove the offending entry immediately.
March 11, 2007 10:01:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Please clarify the above, I have emailed you but as yet have had no reply.

Quote from your post above "Content must be high-definition. That means the vertical resolution needs to be at least 720 pixels."

high-definition 720p = 1280x720. DV resolution 720 = 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL.

are we to assume you made a mistake and did not mean high-definition but DV res ??

any comments to clear this up are welcome.

Thabks 00NukE
August 9, 2007 7:41:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I am attempting to upload a dream created from part of a video from the NASA website (free video download section). I'm presuming as long as NASA is given credit (and we do pay NASA's salaries - that it would be OK, at least to try)?

The "attempting" part was that the dream seems to fully upload, but the next page "fails to display". I have no idea if it made it to Stardock or not...

Thanks for your great products and continuing to make working on a computer all day a bit more bearable... Greg
January 11, 2009 2:06:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

as a complete novice at .dreams am having hours of fun making them, alas most seem 2 end up in the reject bin  lol it wont put me off tho and am trying to create loops, oh dear

January 11, 2009 2:14:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting louise kamer,
  as a complete novice at .dreams am having hours of fun making them, alas most seem 2 end up in the reject bin  lol it wont put me off tho and am trying to create loops, oh dear
Are you getting good feedback on what needs to change?  That's the critical part.

January 11, 2009 5:58:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

louise...here's a good thread to help you get started. There's one link that covers looping that's pretty good. There's also a way to loop video with Windows movie maker that's pretty easy to do. I'll try to put together a quick tutorial and post it for you.

Also, if you need some assistance or a question answered, PM (private message) me and i'll try to help. Just click on my name and choose private message.

January 15, 2009 10:17:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i have 2 .dreams in the gallery but i get no feedback when the others rejected. have been careful to make sure the images loop smoothly as i can - having said that i am still enjoying making them and can use them on my desktop

January 15, 2009 10:19:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

any help would be appreciated as i am so new to this - i have tons of vids and art work on other sites but am a novice here - great fun tho

May 21, 2010 9:47:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Could you please include guidelines for submitting .swf preview? I tried several times each time making it smaller until it was 256x126. Still would not save, reverting to the same screen, each time I pushed Submit. I could see the progress bar and all. Can someone explain the proper way or size please?

skyzyk aka Gary

February 15, 2011 6:23:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ,
Do NOT submit content other people's work without their permission.

How strict are we on this? I've been wanting to upload a little dream I made, but the problem is that the source footage was found on what to appears to be an abandoned youtube account (only one video ever uploaded, and the owner hasn't logged in for over a year). I've emailed the owner, but I'm not optimistic about ever receiving a reply.

The thing is, though, that the footage involved was just the owner testing his/her new HD camera and uploading the unedited results... Given this situation, would there be any point in trying to submit the dream? The loop is approx. 40 seconds long. (It's not that it's incredibly fantastic or anything, but it's what I wanted and it does the job for me. Since there aren't many like it, I thought maybe it would be worth sharing despite some imperfections.)

February 15, 2011 7:18:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
  1. The animations used in the .Dream file is either 15 seconds inlength of shorter OR less than 25% of the original video file in length(whichever is shorter).  So if you found a 20 second video you want touse in a Dream, you can use no more than 5 seconds of that video. Anything else, you are limited to 15 seconds.
February 15, 2011 9:40:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

to deviate somewhat......I'm still wondering what happened that we lost Ausvet.... having followed the thread with the gents carrying on about their copyright..and the interpretation of the conditions of use... was that ever clarified?........did all of his have to go... did we have to lose all his work and a prominent long term friendly, active member?....... 

it's frustrating when there is no closure on these things....he's missed.....  

February 16, 2011 6:16:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

The animations used in the .Dream file is either 15 seconds inlength of shorter OR less than 25% of the original video file in length(whichever is shorter).  So if you found a 20 second video you want touse in a Dream, you can use no more than 5 seconds of that video. Anything else, you are limited to 15 seconds.

Oh well. For future reference, though: would it be acceptable to submit a link to original footage along with a link to a script that would turn said footage into a dream? Seems faster than having to wait 95 years for the anonymous copyright to expire...

February 16, 2011 7:12:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Oh well. For future reference, though: would it be acceptable to submit a link to original footage along with a link to a script that would turn said footage into a dream? Seems faster than having to wait 95 years for the anonymous copyright to expire..."

Stardock's and thus Wincustomize.com's  stance on 'fair use' as it will pertain to the submissions [and acceptance] of Dreams is quite specific and is as per your quote [of me] in #20.

If you comply with that condition there will be no issue of 95 years/whatever.

If you do not comply with that condition you are required to seek/obtain copyright consent or have your submission rejected.

It's quite simple....

February 16, 2011 10:51:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As this site is derived mostly of artists we must maintain the integrity to protect all artists copyrights, not just the ones on the site, but across the board.

Anything less would be hypocritical.

February 16, 2011 11:19:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting HG_Eliminator,
As this site is derived mostly of artists we must maintain the integrity to protect all artists copyrights, not just the ones on the site, but across the board.

Anything less would be hypocritical.

Certainly. But the idea here was that 1) the copyright owner is likely impossible to get hold of, 2) the copyright owner is extremely unlikely to suffer any sort of harm (be that financially, artistically or otherwise) from the republication (it's just a stationary camera filming through the windscreen while the camera owner drives to work on a completely normal day, it's unedited and has been viewed a total of 260 times in the 18 months it's been available on youtube), and 3) the quote "We are allowing some leeway right now on this rule for content that is based on content distributed on the net until we determine the legality of this". As there seems to be no leeway at all here, maybe you should just remove that part as I really regret that I enquired about it now.

February 16, 2011 11:52:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I fully understand the frustration of having a cool idea and not being able to implement it due to lack of ability to find original author, I had to wait 4 years to find the author to one of my DX theme port's I had all but given up hope.

The leeway was allowing even small portions of another author's originating works to be used under "fair use" for dreams, as with all other skins, no portion of another's works may be used/reproduced, redistributed without express permission from the original author.

If you had permission the 15 seconds or less rule would not apply.

February 16, 2011 12:17:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How strict are we on this? I've been wanting to upload a little dream I made, but the problem is that the source footage was found on what to appears to be an abandoned youtube account (only one video ever uploaded, and the owner hasn't logged in for over a year). I've emailed the owner, but I'm not optimistic about ever receiving a reply.

The thing is, though, that the footage involved was just the owner testing his/her new HD camera and uploading the unedited results... Given this situation, would there be any point in trying to submit the dream? The loop is approx. 40 seconds long. (It's not that it's incredibly fantastic or anything, but it's what I wanted and it does the job for me. Since there aren't many like it, I thought maybe it would be worth sharing despite some imperfections.)

you may try looping it at another point or simply use a suitable transition such as crossfade, to make your dream just use 15 sec. or less

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000937   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.