Which Anti-virus/Firewall do you use?

By on November 5, 2006 7:28:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

sophiesboy

Join Date 01/2005
I was curious to find out which anti-virus/firewall programs people liked and used.

Over time I have tried a couple of different programs, and never been extremeley happy with them for various reasons.

I used Symantec/Norton for a while, and it had a tendency to crash my machine every time an update came out, requiring reverification with the company, unloading/reloading the program, etc.

At the moment I am using the McAfee Security Center Suite, and while it works reasonably well, it manages to chew up about 137MB of RAM according to the Processes window in the Task Manager. For a system that has a typical resting usage of about 350 to 400MB that seems like an awful lot to me.

A friend of mine recommended switching to the Grisoft AVG antivirus/firewall, which he said uses far less memory and catches quite a bit more than McAfee. I downloaded a free version and ran it once. It managed to detect three Trojans which McAfee had missed over months of use.

So the question is, for those of us who are just competent enough to unwittingly destroy our machines, but not so competent that we can delve into the minutiae of these programs, what would your recommendation be?

Ideally this would be a single source of programs designed to work together (the biggest selling point for the McAfee suite in my case), not a multi-sourced collection that may or may not work together depending on my ability to dig in and tweak drivers/settings/codes.

I await the collective wisdom with anticipation.
159 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 6, 2006 10:17:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
[easy to crack]

[easily 'almost crackable']

you smoke too much crackable
November 6, 2006 10:31:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
I used to use Norton for years, but switched to Eset NOD32. Probably the best in the wild detection, daily updates, uses only 22MB of RAM.

For firewall, I use my Linksys Router.

For adware/spyware I use Webroot SpySweeper. I have only had it about a month so not much experience yet, but it seems to be highly rated by the various magazines.
November 6, 2006 10:41:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Corky - Why would you want to use and/or pay for software from MS to fix or defend thier buggy OS?

Kona,

Nice to converse with you again.

The simple answer to your question is: "It is nothing fancy, and it just works".

On a more detailed note:

I have no real issue with XP Pro. It does what I need it to do, and I build my own desktops, and have modified my notebook (a Dell - BTW). I like things basic, simple, and efficient. With OneCare Live, I do not have to do anything but set a couple of schedule options for back-ups and tune-ups and I am done.

With my ISP being Comcast, I can rely (with relative comfort) on a combination of the Comcast spam filters, and the filters in Outlook 2003.

Because I use IE7 exclusively for my browser, I enable the anti-phishing filter, which rounds out a good security package (along with common sense in online activities).

When Vista comes out, both machines are capable of running it (especially the newly built desktop), so I look forward to running Microsoft products for some time to come.
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 6, 2006 10:44:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I can't wait for Vista to come out just to say told you so. It's gonna be worse than XP I bet. Only time will tell. Nice to see you again Corky.
November 7, 2006 1:40:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
kona, can we see your avatar in a bigger size?
November 7, 2006 2:13:53 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
When Vista comes out, both machines are capable of running it (especially the newly built desktop), so I look forward to running Microsoft products for some time to come.

I love MS products for the better part. Its not so hard to see why they run so well under Windows

I'm glad to hear that you found OneCare valuable. Ive been thinking to shell out the few bucks for it.

Its about time MS developed a decent "security" app.

Thanx!
November 7, 2006 2:17:45 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Why would you want to use and/or pay for software from MS to fix or defend thier buggy OS?

Honestly, I beat the crap out of my XP installation. Its been running strong now over a year, and Ive experience very little in the way of buggyness.

Come to think of it, it runs pretty darn well with all my current hard/software.

I dual-bool SuSE 10.1. Someday it may work with all the same as well...I hope.
November 7, 2006 4:04:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
kona, can we see your avatar in a bigger size?

Yeah if I can find a way to make WC show it bigger next to my name. I'll fix it soon.
November 7, 2006 9:00:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ZoneAlarm Pro [easy to crack]
Eset NOD 32 [easily 'almost crackable']
State-of-the-art Software...
you'll never miss a virus or an intrusion with these...!!!

Probably the one, true, sure-fire way to expose yourself to spyware/data-miners/key-loggers/etc.

As the quote in Aliens goes....

You're "on a one-way rollercoaster to hell....going down....."...

November 23, 2006 10:40:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Mcafee viruscan
November 23, 2006 10:41:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

how about the macfee viruscan???

November 24, 2006 12:17:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Desktop PC:
McAfee Security Center/firewall,AV,etc.
Runs o.k. and updates often. Seems to stop a lot of junk and bugs.
I like their "trace this event" feature, makes me think I can know who pings my addy or scratches on the "shield".
Trying Site Advisor, even though they list us WC as a "yellow" site instead of green.  
Also running AdAware/Adwatch Plus simultaneously, both for years, now, w/o a major infestation.
Laptop:
Norton Security Suite(pre-installed), with TrendMicro filter (also pre-installed, by Sony). I guess they run o.k. No bugs or junk...yet.
Bottom line: Both are spendy. Seem to get the job done. Haven't checked CPU or RAM load for either yet.
November 28, 2006 5:39:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I am currently using

AVG AntiVirus 7.5
Sygate Personal Firewall
AVG Anti-Spyware
Lavsoft Ad-Aware SE Personal

February 1, 2007 7:17:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Firewall = Sygate
Anti-Virus = ESET N0d 32
Anti-Spyware = Webroot Spysweeper
February 1, 2007 7:23:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I use the Windows XP firewall (it has always found everything)
I have Avast!4 Home Edition (and it is free from Alwil Software)
February 2, 2007 12:49:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
AV - Avast (free)
FW - ZoneAlarm (free)
AntiSpyware - Ad-Aware, Spybot, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, (free, free, free, free)
February 2, 2007 12:53:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Avg Pro
Firewall ...did use Zonealarm But deleted when I started using my Linksys
Router..checked throughly with 4 different computer techs and numerous websites that a *good* router, setup properly eliminates the need for a firewall.

I also use Spybot, Ad Aware, A-squared Free anti-trojan WWW Link">Link
as well as SpywareBlaster and CCleaner

I use Firefox as my primary browser but If I need to use IE 6 is use * Flashpeak Slimbrowser which uses IE as a base but includes many security features & tabs.

I am currently looking into a program called Drive Sentry, which claims to be able to stop viruses, trojans and malicious code as well as rootkits & spyware. I will be doing considerably more research before trying it but it does look positive.
[link="http://www.drivesentry.com/moreinfo.htm"]WWW Link

It's My Secret
February 2, 2007 1:00:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Without fail I am unable to post 2 links correctly in a post Sorry

WWW Link

Tried again if anyone was interested

It's My Secret
February 2, 2007 1:27:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Antivirus = Avast
Firewall Software = Sygate
Firewall Hardware = Linksys router (wpa, mac filtered, ssid not broadcasting)

I always use a software firewall. No antivirus catches everything. Your router won't stop viruses coming from your machine. The software firewall lets you know whats actually trying to access your connection. That way you can spot viruses your antivirus missed, etc.
February 2, 2007 1:50:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Your router won't stop viruses coming from your machine. The software firewall lets you know whats actually trying to access your connection. That way you can spot viruses your antivirus missed, etc.

True, thats why I use Avg Pro and the reason I am looking into Drive Sentry. I have never had any problem with Zonealarm but want even more control.

DriveSentry works by monitoring each application writing to your drives. Only applications you have authorized can write to the drive and all others are blocked. If you can imagine a software firewall monitors internet traffic, well DriveSentry monitors drive traffic
DriveSentry is incredibly versatile as it not only allows you to prevent applications writing to your drives but can also control what file types they write.

DriveSentry (lite) is free and DriveSentry (pro) is $29.00.

I would appreciate any info and opinions on Drive Sentry

It's My Secret
March 17, 2007 6:33:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
AVG for anti virus, Zone Alarm pro for firewall, plus adaware, spybot, AVG anti spyware
and windows defender, you can naver be too safe
March 17, 2007 6:37:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
oooo
March 17, 2007 6:39:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All of you ppl suck...
Use da best software combo ever...
ZoneAlarm Pro [easy to crack]
Eset NOD 32 [easily 'almost crackable']
State-of-the-art Software...
you'll never miss a virus or an intrusion with these...!!!
Trust me...

Holla Back...
Dawson...

its people like you who cause the prices to keep skyrocketing, i hope you get smashed by a virus
March 17, 2007 6:21:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
ad-aware is popular for freeware and light on the system.

Process guard is becoming popular for very tight control of running processes

Then of course you'd want to include a firewall prog, would not recommend Norton.
March 17, 2007 6:26:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Lantec, don't know all the reasons but im pretty sure the answer is yes you still need software.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.