Wanna Install XP On Your Intel Mac?

Have Fun!

By on March 21, 2006 10:54:26 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

kingbee

Join Date 04/2004
+46

it's been done.  and now you can do it too.

here's a linkLink  to a report about the process.

and if you don't feel like reading, here's a link to a site where you can download the software and instructions needed to git 'er done Link

it's a brand new world (again).

22 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 22, 2006 7:36:04 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Excellent!  But I will wait a bit until there are more drivers and better performance.  I figure that will take about 6 months to a year.
March 22, 2006 9:27:09 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Excellent! But I will wait a bit until there are more drivers and better performance. I figure that will take about 6 months to a year.

By then you'll probably be able to install Vista.
March 22, 2006 9:32:47 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

By then you'll probably be able to install Vista.

Looks like at least a year.  MS has pushed back the release of Vista again.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 22, 2006 12:36:45 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
I figure that will take about 6 months to a year.

i doubt i'll have access to an intel mac before then. considering my recent inability to fully install the good ol 'gadget' font under os x, perhaps it's all for the better.
March 22, 2006 1:11:46 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Looks like at least a year. MS has pushed back the release of Vista again.

Again? Surprised?
March 22, 2006 4:11:33 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
I don't get it, really. Maybe for people who wanted to dual boot and play Windows games and use other windows-only software. What would be funny as hell as someone having to buy Stardock's apps in order to make Windows XP look like OSX after paying for the mac to begin with...

It would have made more sense to me if Apple had migrated to making boxed Mac OSs for Windows machines, instead of taking their machines and making them more apt to run Windows. The unique part of a Mac is the OS. Stick windows on it and it is just another gaudy pc with more snazz on the outside than on the inside.
March 22, 2006 4:58:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stick windows on it and it is just another gaudy pc with more snazz on the outside than on the inside

I bet Gaudi wouldn't be seen dead using a Mac....

March 22, 2006 5:06:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I bet Gaudi wouldn't be seen dead with any computer.

...unless he designed it himself...

...now THAT'd be cool! I'd love to have a Gaudi case! ... ooooh! Gaudi skin!

Jafo! you got my head tingeling with skinning ideas again! But I have no time for such right now! Akh! Life is cruel!
March 22, 2006 5:10:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Again? Surprised?

Shock! Devasted! WOW!

NOt!
March 22, 2006 5:11:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
don't get it, really. Maybe for people who wanted to dual boot and play Windows games and use other windows-only software.

How about for people who have to support both?
March 23, 2006 2:00:20 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
I don't get it, really

gates and jobs are so jaded the only enjoyment they're now able to experience are cruel & pointless experiments involving behavioral conditioning and manipulation. this time around, they're wagering obscene amounts of money in a contest to determine which of the two can most closely predict how many innocent victims wind up unintentionally ambidextrous.
March 23, 2006 8:51:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I actually read there are some problems with doing this because the fan drivers are not loaded by windows which will keep the system fans from operating. While this may not be a huge deal for desktop systems, it's a killer for laptops and can cause them to overheat.
March 23, 2006 11:40:38 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
While this may not be a huge deal for desktop systems, it's a killer for laptops and can cause them to overheat

oh hell...that whole obsession with heatsinks and fans is so blown outta proportion. but don't take my word for it when you can see for yourself here: Link
March 23, 2006 12:22:17 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
kingbee speaks like a man who does not sit with his laptop in his lap. I saw a Dell brought in once that the plastic on the bottom had actually sagged where it had melted. Me and my genitalia will opt out of that, thanks.
March 23, 2006 2:19:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
kingbee speaks like a man who does not sit with his laptop in his lap.

actually i avoid laptops whenever possible. and not solely due to my being convinced if we were meant to have laptops on our laps, they'd have more complimentary curves.

you did check out the linked video i hope. given a choice, i'd take a lil mushy sagging anytime when the other option is a damn ied.
March 23, 2006 2:42:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I actually read there are some problems with doing this because the fan drivers are not loaded by windows which will keep the system fans from operating

There are no such things as system fan drivers for desktop PCs. The system fans get their power directly from the motherboard, and are monitored by the system BIOS. They have three wires, (some only 2) hot, ground, and sensor. That's it. They turn on when you turn your system on, long before Windows or any other operating system takes over the system. Quiet Cool systems are also run by the system BIOS, and not the operating system.

As far as the linked video, that's already been put to rest as a fake.

Windows XP was not meant to be introduced to the Intel Mac world, and we all knew this. We also knew that someone would demonstrate it's ability to be installed on a Mac, but that doesn't mean that MS is suddenly going to offer support for it, nor will driver vendors suddenly hop on board providing stable system drivers for XP on the Intel Mac. I can forsee that it would not be in anyone's best interest, so it most likely will not be done.
March 24, 2006 3:49:16 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
"They turn on when you turn your system on, long before Windows or any other operating system takes over the system. Quiet Cool systems are also run by the system BIOS, and not the operating system.

The processor is throttled by the OS, isn't it? I know my systems run hot when in bios mode and then throttle down once the OS is booted. I thought it also made use of the processor fan to complement that, but I am probably wrong.

"actually i avoid laptops whenever possible. and not solely due to my being convinced if we were meant to have laptops on our laps, they'd have more complimentary curves. "

When they introduce the iSalma, I'm taking out a loan.
March 24, 2006 9:36:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
The system fans get their power directly from the motherboard, and are monitored by the system BIOS

I knew someone would go there. You are correct, in PC's fans are controlled by the BIOS but the new Intel Macs *don't have a BIOS*! They use a new boot technology that PC's will be able to use once Vista is installed where a majority of boot time OS code as well as hardware drivers and such are stored in a chip on the Mobo. So, without a BIOS on the Mobo and without the drivers needed to control the onboard fans some of the XP on Mac users have noticed they have some problems.

Windows XP was not meant to be introduced to the Intel Mac world

If there were no differences between the hardware in an Intel Mac and an Intel PC then there would be no truth in this statement. But the Intel Macs have been designed around hardware standards that PC's are just now starting to think about using which is why the run XP on an Intel Mac has been such a challenge.
March 24, 2006 11:10:22 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
When they introduce the iSalma, I'm taking out a loan.

yup. altho a more generic or customizable version (called iLuvit perhaps?) might have wider appeal...as well as just being wider.
April 11, 2006 12:05:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well I Am using an Intel Imac that runs both Windows Xp Pro and OS X....It is Great I have a computer that can run both Operating Systems and it it runs Both GREAT....I can Play games on Windows....and use my mac os for everything else...It was easy to install now I don't have to have to machines on my computer desk! I am very happy with it.. As Far as the fan problem goes it was a problem on the hacked version..(When they were trying to hack the dual boot) Apple has taken care of that..The Fan kicks on if it gets hot...

Posted via WinCustomize Browser/Stardock Central
April 12, 2006 11:52:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
According to this article...http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=615..the next version of OS X will have Windows capability built in.....

Another interesting take...http://www.slate.com/id/2139517/....." I want Mac on a PC"
April 13, 2006 4:46:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
The easy way is to get boot camp.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002797   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.